From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Smith via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2022 11:22 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 1935 wreck on the Rutland - photos

A February 7, 1935 derailment on the Rutland Railroad at Irona New York was captured in images that have been posted on the Clinton County Historical Association Facebook Page: https://m.facebook.com/ClintonCountyHistoricalAssociation/

There's a PRR H-21, a CP single-sheathed boxcar, a CP reefer(?), a B&M single-sheathed box, some NYC hoppers, and a car with a row of rectangular vents low on the sheathing in the images. I tried various ways to get a link directly to the post, without luck, but it was posted on August 25, so it's just a short scroll back. Their group is set up to only show thumbnails, so you'll need to click on the tiny "Show full size" link to see the actual picture. This is close to the time and location I am modeling, so I'd love more particulars on any of the cars, especially that ventilated(?) one, if you are so inspired. Thanks!

Dave
--

David L. Smith
Allentown, PA

Mark Rossiter

Close, but no cigar!  The lettering on the car in the photo indicates this is Rutland #304, which Railworks also imported a version of.  See this listing instead:

https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/36967/HO-Rolling-Stock-Railworks-LTD-R-319-Rutland-MILK-CAR

Mark Rossiter

Sent from Mail for Windows

David Smith

I've been poking around through the archives, but haven't found a clear answer. Am I correct in assuming that these would have stayed on home rails while in milk service? I found info that they wandered widely once they were converted to express cars, but nothing about whether they roamed about while in milk service. Thanks,
Dave

Don Burn

The Rutland milk cars would have been on the NYC to New York or the B&M to Boston, since these are the milk sheds that the Rutland served.

Don Burn