Topics

RPM Freight Car Presentation Hardware Question

Bill Welch

I am hoping there may be people here that have experience using Apple’s iPad that will comment on the questions I have.

The Apple Laptop I have used for years for my annual RPM Freight Car presentations has finally given up and I want to replace it. I no longer think I need a full-blown computer and may replace it with an iPad if this type of device will work for doing presentations. I use Apple’s “Keynote” to build my presentations and then convert it to a high resolution PDF for the actual presentation. There are some hardware/connectivity issues I need to answer since the iPad only has one connection port and even with adaptors not sure if my plan is realistic.

—iPad needs to communicate with the projector. There are Blue Tooth Dongles to facilitate this but frankly I would prefer a hardwired connection. Researching for an adapter. My concern here is that venues like Cocoa Beach, Collinsville and Chicagoland probably have projectors requiring a cord.

—I would like to use the new’ish Logitech “Spotlight Presentation Remote” with its ability to easily spotlight things on each slide when desired while also providing remote advance of slides. (see Ted Culotta’s blog item about this device: http://prototopics.blogspot.com/2018/02/logitech-spotlight-presentation-remote.html) Trying to sort out if the remote can talk to the iPad without an adaptor

I am curious if anyone here has used an iPad for their presentations and can comment on what I have described as my preferences using it? It may be more appropriate to respond to me offline: fgexbill(at)tampabay.rr.com

Thank you,

Bill Welch

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

With C&OHS most presentations are made with the hotel's projectors.  Therefore we put all PPT's on one "nerds" PC the day before and dry-run the PPT's with the projector.  We have folks still working on Windows 7 Pro so we use the "oldest" software to be compatible.

Al Kresse

On May 24, 2018 at 1:46 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony Thompson

Bill Welch wrote:

The Apple Laptop I have used for years for my annual RPM Freight Car presentations has finally given up and I want to replace it. I no longer think I need a full-blown computer and may replace it with an iPad if this type of device will work for doing presentations. I use Apple’s “Keynote” to build my presentations and then convert it to a high resolution PDF for the actual presentation. There are some hardware/connectivity issues I need to answer since the iPad only has one connection port and even with adaptors not sure if my plan is realistic.

—iPad needs to communicate with the projector. There are Blue Tooth Dongles to facilitate this but frankly I would prefer a hardwired connection. Researching for an adapter. My concern here is that venues like Cocoa Beach, Collinsville and Chicagoland probably have projectors requiring a cord.

      A couple of years ago I tried to use my iPad for giving talks, and as Bill mentions, the connection to projectors is quite variable. Sometimes I also could not get the iPad to start the talk properly. I have gone back to using my laptop.
      Remember, the iPad is NOT a effectively a computer. It has considerably less flexibility and access to machine functions, so it's much more difficult to correct any misbehavior or surprise events.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

That is my fear Tony. I would like to get by the least expensive way but realize iPad may not work for what I want to do. The repair person I use here for my Apples has second hand machines w/up-to-date OS systems so I may go that route. I am very paranoid about showing up and having some sort of "system/compatibility failure."

Bill Welch

Bill Keene

Bill,

I am somewhat surprised that you convert your presentations to PDF and not present using the Keynote software. I am curious about your reasons for this as it appears to me that you are loosing the ability to do slide builds and highlight portions of the slides with shapes and/or highlighting. You also loose the ability for seamless transitions. Ditto the overlaying of information.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Bill Keene wrote:

I am somewhat surprised that you convert your presentations to PDF and not present using the Keynote software. I am curious about your reasons for this as it appears to me that you are loosing the ability to do slide builds and highlight portions of the slides with shapes and/or highlighting. You also loose the ability for seamless transitions. Ditto the overlaying of information.

     I agree, Bill, and there is no necessity to make the PDF conversion. If one likes Keynote better than Powerpoint, one can always create the talk in Keynote and save a version as Powerpoint, which almost always <g> preserves everything you created. I used to do that, because I do like Keynote, and some projectors don't seem to like Keynote. But after a few disappointments with the failures to get the same exact slides, I have given up and just use Powerpoint, both to create and to show my freight car talks. Powerpoint is fairly clunky, but the process does work dependably.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

We all have our methods and reasons Bill and Tony but unfortunately I suffer from a Chronic Condition known as the "What Ifs" . . .

—What If my computer will not boot up?
—What If I can not find a computer to use with a compatible version of "Keynote"
—What If. . . on and on

Also when Keynote is converted to PowerPoint it does not read all of the formatting and at least in my case the presentation looks like S@#$%^&*T.

As to the points Bill raises, I have never noticed losing any of those things when I convert from Keynote to the Hi-Res PDF. IF they are n the original, they are on the PDF.

So I plan to continue to do what works for me.

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Bill Welch wrote:

We all have our methods and reasons Bill and Tony but unfortunately I suffer from a Chronic Condition known as the "What Ifs" . . .

—What If my computer will not boot up?
—What If I can not find a computer to use with a compatible version of "Keynote"
—What If. . . on and on

     I always bring a memory stick with my Powerpoint version on it. If my computer won't boot up, lots of computers will accept Powerpoint because it's pretty much a Microsoft OS standard. But you are right, Bill, do what you feel most comfortable doing.

Also when Keynote is converted to PowerPoint it does not read all of the formatting and at least in my case the presentation looks like S@#$%^&*T.

      Yes, Bill, though I tried to be more tactful about the results of the conversion(s).  <g>

Tony Thompson

np328

   I can share your concerns. Several years ago my wife bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, and I loved it. So much lighter than the other laptop we had and when we travel, it is such a difference. Best of all, it still has Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. Having said that, because it is smaller and lighter it has a micro HDMI port.  I needed to get a mini-HDMI to 9-pin to interface with most projectors at meets. Now that HMDI equipped projectors are becoming the standard, I might get a micro HDMI to standard HDMI adaptor for those. And these adaptors are crucial links.
   I have never had problems interfacing the laptop however and for some reason, except at the back rooms at the Chicagoland (former Sunshine) RPM's. So yes, your hesitancy is well founded.

    Of a platform for presenting on, I would suggest you take a look at Open Office. https://www.openoffice.org/  It is a free download, requires only 256 MB of RAM, so it is light on the hard drive. It also works with both Mac and PC. Many years back, when Richard Hendrickson had a presentation on his Mac that was on a CD fail to open, I grabbed my former PC laptop with Open Office and the show went on.
         Yes it does not have all the bells and whistles as full PowerPoint, and at times, rarely for me, a text does not emulate properly, however again, I only recall that happening once. It could have been the text I chose.

     I do have a full (Microsoft) Office set up on my home PC and Yoga laptop however also have Open Office on both as a back-up. As I stated prior, it requires very little space on the hard drive and does PowerPoint, Word, an a few other office like programs.                                                                                                                                                                                                           Jim Dick - St. Paul

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Create on your new iPad, and save to a thumb drive. Someone will have a real computer at the event…. 8^)

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Date: Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 4:41 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] RPM Freight Car Presentation Hardware Question

We all have our methods and reasons Bill and Tony but unfortunately I suffer from a Chronic Condition known as the "What Ifs" . . .

—What If my computer will not boot up?
—What If I can not find a computer to use with a compatible version of "Keynote"
—What If. . . on and on

Also when Keynote is converted to PowerPoint it does not read all of the formatting and at least in my case the presentation looks like S@#$%^&*T.

As to the points Bill raises, I have never noticed losing any of those things when I convert from Keynote to the Hi-Res PDF. IF they are n the original, they are on the PDF.

So I plan to continue to do what works for me.

Bill Welch

Douglas Harding

When using PowerPoint with intentions of showing your program on another computer, ie via a thumb drive, make sure you save the file as a “Package Presentation for CD” file, which is different than the standard save in PowerPoint. Go to file, then save & send, choose presentation package for CD, then choose package for CD, then choose save to folder. This last click will allow you to choose your thumb drive. Your file size will be larger, but it will include all fonts, videos and other special features you worked so hard to create. And it will all be on your thumb drive, not on that computer back at home or the office.

A standard PowerPoint file assumes the fonts chosen, videos, and other special features reside on the computer in the exact location as on the computer used during creation. If using a different computer during presentation you will not see your special features.

Also be aware that older version of PowerPoint do not recognize some common video formats, esp Microsoft formats. If you plan to include a video clip in your presentation, you may have to convert it. And be sure to try it on another computer to make sure it will work.

These are some tricks I have learned doing weekly presentations in two different churches each week.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org