Topics

2018 Chicagoland MiniKit

Gary Roe

Admittedly, I am diving into this project a bit late; but have acquired all the parts I need, save for one.

I am building the N Scale version, and am at a loss for what to do about the turnbuckles.  Walthers catalog showed none that I could find, and a look at the Tichy web site also produced no results.

Anyone know where these tiny little buggers might be found?

Remember...N Scale.

Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Gary,

Since I model the year 1929 in N scale, I face this issue from time to time.

In the past, I have used Grant Line HOn3 turnbuckles on my N scale equipment. They are quite tiny, and appropriately sized for N scale.

See attached image (hopefully it is attached...) of the turnbuckles in use under an N scale passenger car - the turnbuckles will look just as good under a Steam Era Freight Car.

I am not familiar with the specific Minikit you are working on, but if it does not come with queen posts, Grant Line makes (made?) those as well for HOn3, and that is what I used on the passenger car model

Be sure to post a few images of the completed car - I would love to see it!

Claus Schlund

Admittedly, I am diving into this project a bit late; but have acquired all the parts I need, save for one.

I am building the N Scale version, and am at a loss for what to do about the turnbuckles.  Walthers catalog showed none that I could find, and a look at the Tichy web site also produced no results.

Anyone know where these tiny little buggers might be found?

Remember...N Scale.

Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Donald B. Valentine

Claus, your photo of "Utopia" prompts a question I just have to ask. Did anyone really ever create
a door for a baggage section with as much glass in it? It looks like a moving target! What is the
prototype for this car?

Thanks,  Don Valentine

Gary Roe

Thanks Claus!

The kit is a resin casting for an FGEX reefer.  Fortunately, the Queen posts are already built in.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 8:09:43 PM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Don and List Members,

Yes, UTOPIA was a real Pullman car, and the builders photo does indeed show all those windows in the baggage door! The builders photo shows the inscription 3159 L 2122 which may possibly mean plan 3159 lot 2122

Claus Schlund

Claus, your photo of "Utopia" prompts a question I just have to ask. Did anyone really ever create
a door for a baggage section with as much glass in it? It looks like a moving target! What is the
prototype for this car?

Thanks,  Don Valentine

Bob Webber

UTOPIA  was lot 2122 plan 1155a and negative is 3159.  We have floor plan, etc.

Sent from BlueMail