Topics

2018 Chicagoland MiniKit

Gary Roe

Admittedly, I am diving into this project a bit late; but have acquired all the parts I need, save for one.

I am building the N Scale version, and am at a loss for what to do about the turnbuckles.  Walthers catalog showed none that I could find, and a look at the Tichy web site also produced no results.

Anyone know where these tiny little buggers might be found?

Remember...N Scale.

Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Gary,

Since I model the year 1929 in N scale, I face this issue from time to time.

In the past, I have used Grant Line HOn3 turnbuckles on my N scale equipment. They are quite tiny, and appropriately sized for N scale.

See attached image (hopefully it is attached...) of the turnbuckles in use under an N scale passenger car - the turnbuckles will look just as good under a Steam Era Freight Car.

I am not familiar with the specific Minikit you are working on, but if it does not come with queen posts, Grant Line makes (made?) those as well for HOn3, and that is what I used on the passenger car model

Be sure to post a few images of the completed car - I would love to see it!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:33 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 2018 Chicagoland MiniKit

Admittedly, I am diving into this project a bit late; but have acquired all the parts I need, save for one.

I am building the N Scale version, and am at a loss for what to do about the turnbuckles.  Walthers catalog showed none that I could find, and a look at the Tichy web site also produced no results.

Remember...N Scale.

Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Donald B. Valentine

Claus, your photo of "Utopia" prompts a question I just have to ask. Did anyone really ever create
a door for a baggage section with as much glass in it? It looks like a moving target! What is the
prototype for this car?

Thanks,  Don Valentine

Gary Roe

Thanks Claus!

The kit is a resin casting for an FGEX reefer.  Fortunately, the Queen posts are already built in.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 8:09:43 PM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

Since I model the year 1929 in N scale, I face this issue from time to time.

In the past, I have used Grant Line HOn3 turnbuckles on my N scale equipment. They are quite tiny, and appropriately sized for N scale.

See attached image (hopefully it is attached...) of the turnbuckles in use under an N scale passenger car - the turnbuckles will look just as good under a Steam Era Freight Car.

I am not familiar with the specific Minikit you are working on, but if it does not come with queen posts, Grant Line makes (made?) those as well for HOn3, and that is what I used on the passenger car model

Be sure to post a few images of the completed car - I would love to see it!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:33 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 2018 Chicagoland MiniKit

Remember...N Scale.

Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Don and List Members,

Yes, UTOPIA was a real Pullman car, and the builders photo does indeed show all those windows in the baggage door! The builders photo shows the inscription 3159 L 2122 which may possibly mean plan 3159 lot 2122

Claus Schlund

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:23 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] 2018 Chicagoland MiniKit

Claus, your photo of "Utopia" prompts a question I just have to ask. Did anyone really ever create
a door for a baggage section with as much glass in it? It looks like a moving target! What is the
prototype for this car?

Thanks,  Don Valentine

Bob Webber

UTOPIA  was lot 2122 plan 1155a and negative is 3159.  We have floor plan, etc.

Sent from BlueMail

On Aug 14, 2019, at 9:18 AM, "Claus Schlund \(HGM\)" <claus@...> wrote:
Hi Don and List Members,

Yes, UTOPIA was a real Pullman car, and the builders photo does indeed show all those windows in the baggage door! The builders photo shows the inscription 3159 L 2122 which may possibly mean plan 3159 lot 2122

Claus Schlund

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:23 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] 2018 Chicagoland MiniKit

prototype for this car?

Thanks,  Don Valentine

Jake Schaible

I too have one of these N scale kits on my project list - with a promise to Mike Skibbe to photo journal a how to.  This same riddle - along with the recent purchase of a new paint booth waiting to be built and installed - has delayed my start.  But recently I've worked out that Fine-n-scale sells a brass etching MIGHT be a solution to the truss rods and turn buckles.  

The pre bent FNR-2014 rods seem to be about 0.75" between the queen posts, and 1.6" total to the points of attachment on the ends.  But the FGEX car has different geometry - smaller - just 0.575"  between the queen posts (outside to outside) and just 1.4" total between the cross member where the ends attach.  My plan is to TRY use such ... at least for the center turn buckle detail between the queen points and try to either re bend it to fit the FGEX geometry, or slice them.  

FNR-2014

40' TRUSS-ROD CHASSIS FOR MICRO-TRAINS ICE REEFER (2 PER PKG) 

https://www.finenscale.com/rollingstock.html 

Never tried the Grantline HOn3 turnbuckles, which are actually HO scale for narrow gauge.  Would be interested to know their dimensions.  

Gary Roe

Thanks for the info Jake!

That may be a good solution.

I will pass along the dimensions of the Grandt turnbuckles if and when I can secure some.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 12:38:30 PM CDT, Jake Schaible <jjschaible@...> wrote:

I too have one of these N scale kits on my project list - with a promise to Mike Skibbe to photo journal a how to.  This same riddle - along with the recent purchase of a new paint booth waiting to be built and installed - has delayed my start.  But recently I've worked out that Fine-n-scale sells a brass etching MIGHT be a solution to the truss rods and turn buckles.  

The pre bent FNR-2014 rods seem to be about 0.75" between the queen posts, and 1.6" total to the points of attachment on the ends.  But the FGEX car has different geometry - smaller - just 0.575"  between the queen posts (outside to outside) and just 1.4" total between the cross member where the ends attach.  My plan is to TRY use such ... at least for the center turn buckle detail between the queen points and try to either re bend it to fit the FGEX geometry, or slice them.  

FNR-2014

40' TRUSS-ROD CHASSIS FOR MICRO-TRAINS ICE REEFER (2 PER PKG) 

https://www.finenscale.com/rollingstock.html 

Never tried the Grantline HOn3 turnbuckles, which are actually HO scale for narrow gauge.  Would be interested to know their dimensions.