Topics

Decal setting solution options

Peter Hall

Hello listers,
I'm using some old Champ decal stripes on a Scalecoat 1 painted model, and the stripes don't seem to want to settle over the details.  I've been using Microscale MicroSol to soften the decals, but it isn't working well.  since Decalset is no longer available, is there a way to strengthen this setting solution, or is there another option for setting solution today?
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Pdsteam <pdsteam@...>

Try using some Solveset,  it’s MUCH stronger than Microsoft.

Pete C

On May 30, 2018, at 11:44 AM, Peter Hall <petehall6369@...> wrote:

Hello listers,
I'm using some old Champ decal stripes on a Scalecoat 1 painted model, and the stripes don't seem to want to settle over the details.  I've been using Microscale MicroSol to soften the decals, but it isn't working well.  since Decalset is no longer available, is there a way to strengthen this setting solution, or is there another option for setting solution today?
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Roger Huber

Pete,

I hve used Walthers Solvaset with good results ever since my Champ Decalset ran out. It seems to work well on every brand I've used it on except Thinfilm decals. With them I just mix it about 50/50 with distilled water.

I've tried Micro-Scale Micro-Set and Micro-Sol but prefer Solvaset.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 10:44:13 AM CDT, Peter Hall <petehall6369@...> wrote:

Hello listers,
I'm using some old Champ decal stripes on a Scalecoat 1 painted model, and the stripes don't seem to want to settle over the details.  I've been using Microscale MicroSol to soften the decals, but it isn't working well.  since Decalset is no longer available, is there a way to strengthen this setting solution, or is there another option for setting solution today?
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Lester Breuer

Peter I just applied some old private name decals with MicroSol on the steel side of a box car.  The decals were not setting as well as I wanted over rivets.  After several applications of the MicroSol I used Water’s Soleset and the decals settled down fine.
Lester Breuer

Peter Hall

Thanks to all for this advice - I bought and applied Solvaset today and it is working.

Thanks
Pete

On May 30, 2018, at 5:14 PM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

Peter I just applied some old private name decals with MicroSol on the steel side of a box car.  The decals were not setting as well as I wanted over rivets.  After several applications of the MicroSol I used Water’s Soleset and the decals settled down fine.
Lester Breuer

Armand Premo

Has anyone tried the Tichy decals? I am having difficulty with them using Walthers' solvent with them..Armand Premo

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 6:17 PM, Peter Hall <petehall6369@...> wrote:
Thanks to all for this advice - I bought and applied Solvaset today and it is working.

Thanks
Pete

On May 30, 2018, at 5:14 PM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

Peter I just applied some old private name decals with MicroSol on the steel side of a box car.  The decals were not setting as well as I wanted over rivets.  After several applications of the MicroSol I used Water’s Soleset and the decals settled down fine.
Lester Breuer

Pdsteam <pdsteam@...>

Armand
There was a thread several months ago that talked about those decals and having very thick inking and would not “melt” with any solvents we typically use to settle decals.
I have several sets of their SP gondola decals but have not been able to get to those models yet.
Try doing a search for Tichy decals to see exactly what was said.

Pete C

On May 30, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

Has anyone tried the Tichy decals? I am having difficulty with them using Walthers' solvent with them..Armand Premo

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 6:17 PM, Peter Hall <petehall6369@...> wrote:
Thanks to all for this advice - I bought and applied Solvaset today and it is working.

Thanks
Pete

On May 30, 2018, at 5:14 PM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

Peter I just applied some old private name decals with MicroSol on the steel side of a box car.  The decals were not setting as well as I wanted over rivets.  After several applications of the MicroSol I used Water’s Soleset and the decals settled down fine.
Lester Breuer

Nelson Moyer

That may be the solution (no pun intended) to the Micro Sol problem softening Tru Color. Instead of multiple Micro Sol applications, use one or two Solveset applications.

Nelson Moyer