CB&T Shops ladders

Matt Smith

Does anyone know of a source of ladders for CB&T shops boxcars. Working on the Chicago RPM mini kit and 3 of the ladders are broke. I’d use other ladders but the CB&T kit pieces have the nice curved profile of the CGW prototype. I’ll probably just get a few kits off eBay if they don’t sell just the ladders.

Thanks
Matt Smith

Robert J Miller CFA

C&BT is out of business. I believe Kadee offers separate ladder kits.

On May 31, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Matt Smith <flyn96@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of ladders for CB&T shops boxcars. Working on the Chicago RPM mini kit and 3 of the ladders are broke. I’d use other ladders but the CB&T kit pieces have the nice curved profile of the CGW prototype. I’ll probably just get a few kits off eBay if they don’t sell just the ladders.

Thanks
Matt Smith

Benjamin Hom

Matt Smith asked:
"Does anyone know of a source of ladders for CB&T shops boxcars? Working on the Chicago RPM mini kit and 3 of the ladders are broke. I’d use other ladders but the CB&T kit pieces have the nice curved profile of the CGW prototype."

Any more details on the CGW ladders (number of rungs, etc.) you need?  I'm surprised you find the C&BT ladders to be acceptable as they're pretty gross - the parts themselves are barely an improvement over the molded-on ladders of the Athearn boxcar, though the fact that they're separate parts (in the original runs of the kits) makes it easy to use better parts.  (In fact, the best advice for the C&BT kits is to throw away the detail parts and wheelsets and replace them with better aftermarket ones.)   Need more specifics on what you need before giving you a recommendation though.

Bob Miller wrote:
"C&BT is out of business."

Dick Schweiger still maintains a website at http://cbtshops.com/ with contact info.

"I believe Kadee offers separate ladder kits."

True, but be aware that they're for the PS-1, including the unique end ladders.

Ben Hom

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Matt,

Youse really wants dem t'ings? I've got several C&BT kits in my closet, and probably a box of their parts somewhere including ladders. I new there would be a need for them someday.

Shoot me your snail address by private email to sarahsan_AT_embarqmail.com and I will send you a couple of sets.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 5/31/18 9:07 AM, Matt Smith wrote:
Does anyone know of a source of ladders for CB&T shops boxcars. Working on the Chicago RPM mini kit and 3 of the ladders are broke. I’d use other ladders but the CB&T kit pieces have the nice curved profile of the CGW prototype. I’ll probably just get a few kits off eBay if they don’t sell just the ladders.

Thanks
Matt Smith

Steve SANDIFER

Those ladders are very fragile. All small parts of CB&T are very fragile. Replace with another manufacturer if you can.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Youse really wants dem t'ings? I've got several C&BT kits in my closet, and probably a box of their parts somewhere including ladders. I new there would be a need for them someday.

Shoot me your snail address by private email to sarahsan_AT_embarqmail.com and I will send you a couple of sets.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 5/31/18 9:07 AM, Matt Smith wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of ladders for CB&T shops boxcars. Working on the Chicago RPM mini kit and 3 of the ladders are broke. I’d use other ladders but the CB&T kit pieces have the nice curved profile of the CGW prototype. I’ll probably just get a few kits off eBay if they don’t sell just the ladders.

Thanks
Matt Smith

WILLIAM PARDIE

I'm a bit confused as to how the C&BT kit come to be associated with the CGW convention cars.  My kit is labeled Centrailia Car Shops which was issued by Des Plains Hobbies.  I thought that these used Branchline castings. Did they actually resurrect old C&BT castings?

Bill Pardie

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Matt I have an abundance of extras - I'll send you some if you give me your
mailing address.

Tim O'Connor

Does anyone know of a source of ladders for CB&T shops boxcars. Working on the Chicago RPM mini kit and 3 of the ladders are broke. Id use other ladders but the CB&T kit pieces have the nice curved profile of the CGW prototype. Ill probably just get a few kits off eBay if they dont sell just the ladders.

Thanks
Matt Smith

Bill Welch

Attached is a photo of the C&BT ladders and I am not seeing any curved profile and so I am worried there may be confusion about the ladders that were furnished. I don't want you to end up with the wrong parts.

Bill Welch

Richard Orr <suvcworr@...>

The  SFRD reefer ladders have the curved end in them not the boxcar ladders.

Rich Orr