Enfield CT RPM Report—was Tangent there?

Bill Welch

I am wondering if Tangent was at the Enfield CT RPM this past weekend. I did not purchase any of their 8K Radial Course tank cars because they all had K-brakes (I hope my memory is correct here). If Dave was there I hope he might have dropped hints of their next introductions and more modern 1940-50's 8,000 gallon tank cars.

BTW, lots of good photos from the meet on the dreaded Facebook.

Bill Welch

Brian Carlson

They were not.
The Staley 8k yanks had AB brakes at least.  I have one.
On the road back from Enfield
Brian J. Carlson

On Jun 3, 2018, at 10:58 AM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I am wondering if Tangent was at the Enfield CT RPM this past weekend. I did not purchase any of their 8K Radial Course tank cars because they all had K-brakes (I hope my memory is correct here). If Dave was there I hope he might have dropped hints of their next introductions and more modern 1940-50's 8,000 gallon tank cars.

BTW, lots of good photos from the meet on the dreaded Facebook.

Bill Welch

Eric Hansmann

Frankly, I think there should be many more models delivered with K brakes.  <wink>

But truly, just paging through Kline & Culotta's Post-War Freight Car Fleet book will reveal quite a few older cars with K brake systems in the mid-t-late 1940s. For those modeling the 1940s, many models of earlier prototypes could/should have K brake systems.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 3, 2018 at 8:58 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I am wondering if Tangent was at the Enfield CT RPM this past weekend. I did not purchase any of their 8K Radial Course tank cars because they all had K-brakes (I hope my memory is correct here). If Dave was there I hope he might have dropped hints of their next introductions and more modern 1940-50's 8,000 gallon tank cars.

BTW, lots of good photos from the meet on the dreaded Facebook.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Edited

Yes certanly true Eric but I am modeling October 1955 and those KC brakes kind of stand out on a tank car. Thanks for the reminder Brian about the Staley model but for whatever reason it did not appeal to me.

I remain hopeful they will do some 8K radial course AB brake models.

Bill Welch

Tangent Scale Models

Bill,

Tangent Scale Models was not at the Enfield meet (although that would have been fun for us!)

All Tangent past or "sold out" releases are on our website here:  https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/sold/

For all of our 1917-design tank cars, we have released a mix of K-brake and AB-brake RTR schemes to try to provide a little something for everyone in terms of what era you model. One thing that perplexes me are all of the people who do not realize how late K brakes were utilized in the GATC fleet.  If you model the 1940s all the way to their outlaw date in 1952, K brake cars are still "legal" and can be seen in photos.  Take a look if you don't believe me!

We are working on new cars now, and we will have more variety with that release, which will be in 2019.  Also, we are indeed working on a new tank car.  Stay tuned.

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Bill Welch

Thanks Dave, I will be patient. In the meantime I just ordered three of your Dome Platforms and Photo Etched Running boards and Platform floor parts to see what sort of mischief I can create inspired by this photo from Enfield by Mark Kerlick.

BTW I am not one of those confused about how late one can run K-Brakes.

Bill Welch

up4479

I  see Bill Welch picked up on the fact that I changed the dome platform on the BLI Ethel car I displayed at the NERPM.  Those are indeed Tangent parts on that model.  I'm very happy with how they worked for my project.

--
Steve Solombrino

Bill Welch

Yes Steve your model caught my attention quickly. Not sure that scheme fit my timeframe but in my research I discovered "The Herald King" is still in business.

Bill Welch

up4479

Yes, Herald King is still in business.  I recently ordered and used fresh sets to letter the tank car.
--
Steve Solombrino

Bill Welch

I got one of my BLI models out for a closer look. Does the Dome pop off so make applying the Tangent parts easier.

Also I see that the running board part is separate from the underframe meaning major surgery is not necessary if one wants to try to apply a see-thru metal running board system.

Steve do you know the date when that Ethyl scheme was first used?

Bill Welch

up4479

-- I just tried pulling domes off two factory painted BLI cars and they seem glued on.  However, I used an undecorated car and I'm sure the dome came off without too much trouble.  I chose not to replace the running boards on the model with the etched ones that come with the dome platform.  If you can get the running boards separated from the end frames, you still have a lot of cutting and fitting as the etched parts don't fit this car.   I guessed right about the dome platform being enough of an update as several people figured it out right away.  I don't know when that scheme was first used but since I model the UP between 1940 and 1980, the scheme fit my needs over a good portion of that period so I didn't put much effort into the start date.  They did have a bunch of 6K gallon cars as well as other sizes so the decals can be used on a variety of cars and will fit cars larger or smaller than this model.  I'd also like to add that at the NERPM, there were a number of Tangent Models cars that had been modified or painted in other schemes Tangent has not done.  Those undecorated Tangent cars are not sitting around on people's shelves.  They are completing projects with them.  I think that is a good sign.
Steve Solombrino

Tony Thompson

I got one of my BLI models out for a closer look. Does the Dome pop off so make applying the Tangent parts easier.

Um, it's not a dome, as in "expansion dome" for unpressurized tank cars, but is a valve bonnet. It has no expansion space.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

You know Tony, I actually know that it was not the correct term but sometimes I have a brain freeze and cannot remember the exact term—bet I am not the only one—so I went with the next best thing.

Bill Welch