Topics

Broadway hopper lettering removal

Curt Fortenberry

FWIW, I have a set of the Broadway ARA hoppers for C&O where I wanted to remove the factory lettering.  Normal tries of Solvaset and Microsol didn’t phase it.  So I tried the Pine-sol soak that’s worked on other models.  A 24 hour soak was all it took and the old lettering scrubbed off easily.  Paint was not touched but the paint has some ghosting of the lettering which will not be an issue.  So in this case a success.  

Curt Fortenberry

Tim O'Connor

Very interesting that the Pine-Sol didn't affect the paint, only the lettering.
Has anyone tried this on other brands of freight car models? I assume they don't
all use exactly the same paint formula.

Tim O'

FWIW, I have a set of the Broadway ARA hoppers for C&O where I wanted to remove the factory lettering. Normal tries of Solvaset and Microsol didnt phase it.  So I tried the Pine-sol soak thats worked on other models.  A 24 hour soak was all it took and the old lettering scrubbed off easily.  Paint was not touched but the paint has some ghosting of the lettering which will not be an issue.  So in this case a success. 

Curt Fortenberry

Nelson Moyer

Model Railroader mentioned using Pine Sol to remove lettering about ten years ago. I  bought a bottle, but I’ve never used it. Somebody with access to their archive may wish to do a search and report back the details.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 11:49 PM
To: stmfc <realstmfc@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Broadway hopper lettering removal

Has anyone tried this on other brands of freight car models? I assume they don't

Tim O'

Jeff Coleman

I'm not sure this wouldn't attack the base paint but 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and Q-tip may work. 
Good luck

Jeff Coleman

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 7:43 AM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Model Railroader mentioned using Pine Sol to remove lettering about ten years ago. I  bought a bottle, but I’ve never used it. Somebody with access to their archive may wish to do a search and report back the details.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor

Tim O'

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

I tried 91% Isopropyl Alcohol with a Q-tip to remove lettering on a Bachmann 2-8-0 tender. The black paint on the tender body came off nicely, which I didn’t want, except where the lettering was; I mean is. So now I have an unpainted spot with Dulux gold lettering.

John Hagen

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeff Coleman
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:07 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

I'm not sure this wouldn't attack the base paint but 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and Q-tip may work. 

Good luck

Jeff Coleman

Nelson Moyer

Tim O'

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jeff,

I've had 91% isopropyl alcohol attack some plastics. Caution is in order.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 6/12/18 8:06 AM, Jeff Coleman wrote:
Good luck

Jeff Coleman

Nelson Moyer

Tim O'

Barry Roth

I find that 91% ISOH tends to leave a sort of "bloom" on the surface of cars, which is not entirely removed by an overcoat of clear matte or semi-matte varnish.

Barry Roth

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 10:47:06 AM PDT, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

Jeff,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Good luck

Jeff Coleman

Nelson Moyer

Tim O'

Jeff Coleman

Garth
Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff Coleman

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 1:47 PM Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:
Jeff,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Good luck

Jeff Coleman

Nelson Moyer

Tim O'

Tim O'Connor

Most definitely the paints used by Athearn and Accurail will "blush" (or bloom as you
call it) with alcohol. It affects Athearn paints more strongly than Accurail. This can
be very useful when weathering with alcohol washes, especially gondola and hopper car
interiors. Walthers (not Proto) paint is much less vulnerable to this effect, or at
least it used to be.

And yeah lettering and paint are often different formulas - many times I've stripped a
car and only the paint is gone and the lettering remains in part or in full.

Tim O'Connor

I find that 91% ISOH tends to leave a sort of "bloom" on the surface of cars, which is not entirely removed by an overcoat of clear matte or semi-matte varnish.

Barry Roth

Dave Parker

Curt:

I am away from home and it's been a while since I worked on my Broadway Limited ARA hoppers (B&M), but I have this vague recollection that they weren't painted.  Just pad printing on black ABS (I think). 

But I am glad for the Pine Sol tip, because I didn't have much luck with my other approaches.  Again working from memory, I think the 91% iso attacked the lettering and the base plastic at about the same rate, not a desirable outcome.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Curt Fortenberry

I too wondered if there was paint on the side but the sides and ends had a matt like texture so I believe it was painted, could be wrong.  The rest of the car was shiny black like no paint.

Curt Fortenberry

Walter Cox

The same thing happened to me with a Branchline boxcar.
Walter Cox

In a message dated 6/12/2018 9:22:36 AM Eastern Standard Time, sprinthag@... writes:

I tried 91% Isopropyl Alcohol with a Q-tip to remove lettering on a Bachmann 2-8-0 tender. The black paint on the tender body came off nicely, which I didn’t want, except where the lettering was; I mean is. So now I have an unpainted spot with Dulux gold lettering.

John Hagen_._,_._,_