Topics

Broadway hopper lettering removal

Curt Fortenberry

FWIW, I have a set of the Broadway ARA hoppers for C&O where I wanted to remove the factory lettering.  Normal tries of Solvaset and Microsol didn’t phase it.  So I tried the Pine-sol soak that’s worked on other models.  A 24 hour soak was all it took and the old lettering scrubbed off easily.  Paint was not touched but the paint has some ghosting of the lettering which will not be an issue.  So in this case a success.

Curt Fortenberry

Tim O'Connor

Very interesting that the Pine-Sol didn't affect the paint, only the lettering.
Has anyone tried this on other brands of freight car models? I assume they don't
all use exactly the same paint formula.

Tim O'

FWIW, I have a set of the Broadway ARA hoppers for C&O where I wanted to remove the factory lettering. Normal tries of Solvaset and Microsol didnt phase it.  So I tried the Pine-sol soak thats worked on other models.  A 24 hour soak was all it took and the old lettering scrubbed off easily.  Paint was not touched but the paint has some ghosting of the lettering which will not be an issue.  So in this case a success.

Curt Fortenberry

Nelson Moyer

Model Railroader mentioned using Pine Sol to remove lettering about ten years ago. I  bought a bottle, but I’ve never used it. Somebody with access to their archive may wish to do a search and report back the details.

Nelson Moyer

Very interesting that the Pine-Sol didn't affect the paint, only the lettering.
Has anyone tried this on other brands of freight car models? I assume they don't
all use exactly the same paint formula.

Tim O'

Jeff Coleman

I'm not sure this wouldn't attack the base paint but 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and Q-tip may work.
Good luck

Jeff Coleman

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 7:43 AM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Model Railroader mentioned using Pine Sol to remove lettering about ten years ago. I  bought a bottle, but I’ve never used it. Somebody with access to their archive may wish to do a search and report back the details.

Nelson Moyer

Very interesting that the Pine-Sol didn't affect the paint, only the lettering.
Has anyone tried this on other brands of freight car models? I assume they don't
all use exactly the same paint formula.

Tim O'

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

I tried 91% Isopropyl Alcohol with a Q-tip to remove lettering on a Bachmann 2-8-0 tender. The black paint on the tender body came off nicely, which I didn’t want, except where the lettering was; I mean is. So now I have an unpainted spot with Dulux gold lettering.

John Hagen

Very interesting that the Pine-Sol didn't affect the paint, only the lettering.
Has anyone tried this on other brands of freight car models? I assume they don't
all use exactly the same paint formula.

Tim O'

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jeff,

I've had 91% isopropyl alcohol attack some plastics. Caution is in order.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 6/12/18 8:06 AM, Jeff Coleman wrote:
I'm not sure this wouldn't attack the base paint but 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and Q-tip may work.
Good luck

Jeff Coleman

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 7:43 AM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Model Railroader mentioned using Pine Sol to remove lettering about ten years ago. I  bought a bottle, but I’ve never used it. Somebody with access to their archive may wish to do a search and report back the details.

Nelson Moyer

Very interesting that the Pine-Sol didn't affect the paint, only the lettering.
Has anyone tried this on other brands of freight car models? I assume they don't
all use exactly the same paint formula.

Tim O'

Barry Roth

I find that 91% ISOH tends to leave a sort of "bloom" on the surface of cars, which is not entirely removed by an overcoat of clear matte or semi-matte varnish.

Barry Roth

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 10:47:06 AM PDT, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

[...]

Garth
Thanks for the heads up.