Topics

CGW 92000 Series Boxcar Color (Chicago Mini Kit 2017)

Matt Smith

I've seen some variation in the colors of the CGW 92,000 Boxcars people are building. Some are more brown and some are more red. I don't have a lot of knowledge of CGW paint practices circa 1951. Can anyone with more CGW knowledge share what paint data they have for a more accurate paint color of these CGW 92,000's AS BUILT.

Thanks in advance.
Matt Smith
Bloomington IL

Clark Propst

I have no 'correct' color info for the 91 - 92000 series' cars. The CGW equipment registers sometimes have that info, but not for these cars. Maybe sometimes we get too picky anyway? Paint practices in 51 would be to delete the Cornbelt emblem.  I believe that the simple just initials and number scheme was a year or two in the future? Many of these cars were sold and leased back renumbered in the late 50s - 60s? Some of the remaining cars may never have been repainted. I photographed one in the 90s in it's as delivered lettering.
Clark Propst

Ed Hawkins

On Jun 13, 2018, at 9:05 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I have no 'correct' color info for the 91 - 92000 series' cars. The CGW equipment registers sometimes have that info, but not for these cars. Maybe sometimes we get too picky anyway? Paint practices in 51 would be to delete the Cornbelt emblem.  I believe that the simple just initials and number scheme was a year or two in the future? Many of these cars were sold and leased back renumbered in the late 50s - 60s? Some of the remaining cars may never have been repainted. I photographed one in the 90s in it's as delivered lettering.
Clark Propst

Clark and others interested,
The CGW 91000 & 92000 series box cars built by Pullman-Standard were painted as follows. The data comes from the original P-S bills of materials. While there are no paint samples available, the paint names help to define the hue by comparing to the paint names of ACF cars in which paint samples were taken during the same 1940s time period.

Lot 5771, 91000-91099, built 9-44

Sherwin-Williams or PPG Freight Car Paint - exterior sides, doors, ends (50 cars each)
Texaco black car cement - roof, underframe
Black paint - trucks
White stencils

Lot 5805, 92000-92149, built 9-45

Glidden or DuPont Quick Drying Freight Car Paint - exterior sides, doors, ends (75 cars each)
Black car cement - roof, underframe
Black paint - trucks
White stencils

The color for the 4 paints would reasonably match a medium red-brown such as Tru-Color Paint TCP-188, 193,197 (they are the same). This color was commonly used by numerous railroads in the mid-1940s-1950s, such as SP, Seaboard, NP, MP, NYC, WP, IC, RI, RDG. The color is for a new car and does not take into account any “scale factor” or subsequent weathering effects.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Matt Smith

Ed,

Thank you! That is exactly what is needed to complete my build!

Matt Smith

Clark Propst

Black roofs ugh, Looks like I have some painting to do...Thanks Ed...I think  ;  ))