Topics

Northern Pacific DF 1100 series modeling

Bill Welch

Edited

I think I have finally finished up adding rivets to the Branchline 50-foot SD car I am working on to model it as one of the NP's DF 1100 series cars. Branchline did this car but on a body with tabs whereas the actual cars dad straight side sills. I used an Athearn undec. gondola as the source for the rivets on the gusset plates because they are slightly larger. They do not look sharp in the photo because the silver ink from the Sharpie I use to highlight them has run when hit with liquid Testers.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Bill I'm curious about the holes I see drilled for the hand grabs - Are you
relocating the grabs? Did Branchline mislocate them?

Very nice work - I can't wait to see the finished model! :-)

Tim O'Connor

I think I have finally finished up adding rivets tot he Branchline 50-foot SD car I am working on to model it as one of the NP's DF 1100 series cars. Branchline did this car but on a body with tabs whereas the actual cars dad straight side sills. I used an Athearn undec. gondola as the source for the rivets on the gusset plates because they are slightly larger. They do not look sharp in the photo because the silver ink from the Sharpie I use to highlight them has run when hit with liquid Testers.

Bill Welch

Attachments:

Bill Welch

Tim, the new holes are for Kadee bracket grabs. From my reading of the photos I have of these cars this is where these should be.

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

What Tru-Color or Scalecoat color would be appropriate for this car?  Said the color-blind guy who can't do color matching....

Ron Merrick

O Fenton Wells

Looking good Mr. Welch, very good!
Fenton

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Bill Welch

I too am colorblind Ron but also Acrylic Only. This model will be painted with badger's Modelflex #16-77 Northern Pacific Light Green.

Bill Welch

Rufus Cone

My belief is that for the NP DF box cars and RBL's you want the Loewy-scheme dark green passenger car color.  The 1000's and 1100's had a white stripe.  The RBL's had a chrome yellow stripe.

Bill Welch wrote:

This model will be painted with badger's Modelflex #16-77 Northern Pacific Light Green.

Bill Welch
--

Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Tim O'Connor

Correct. No NP freight cars were painted NP "Loewy" Light Green. Some NP cars were
painted in another shade of light green (precursor to "BN Cascade Green") but none
of these cars were.

HOWEVER - Bill is ok, because BADGER has labeled Loewy "Dark Green" as "Light Green"
for inexplicable reasons. (And vendors wonder why consumers are confused, and don't buy
their products.)

Tim O'Connor

  My belief is that for the NP DF box cars and RBL's you want the Loewy-scheme
  dark green passenger car color. The 1000's and 1100's had a white stripe. The RBL's
  had a chrome yellow stripe.
  Rufus Cone

This model will be painted with badger's Modelflex #16-77 Northern Pacific Light Green.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

The six color photos I have show a dark green. I have not opened the paint as yet to see ho light it is.

Bill Welch