Topics

Bangor & Aroostook 1927 Boxcar 61000 series (Reefer Colors)

Bob Chaparro

The comment, "When BAR bought the used, wood sided MDT reefers, some of which were famously painted in red, white, and blue, in 1949-50..." caught my attention. I have been looking for a photo on one of these red-white-blue reefers for years.

Back in 2003 Tim Gilbert said, "The BAR did not buy their first reefer until 1951. The first series 338 strong in 1/1953, #6000-6999, were ex-MDT reefers and were painted yellow with black ends. The second series were the #7000-7856 which were built by Pacific Car & Foundry - 500 in 1951-52 and another 357 in 1953. These had yellow sides and ends. The #7000's were the ones rented to PFE during the summer - the off-season for Aroostook County spuds."

A lot of modelers falsely believe the PC&F steel-sheathed reefers used the red-white-blue paint scheme. Perhaps this is because some of the ex-MDT reefers were so painted, although others disagree about this.

Does anyone have a photo or photo source for the ex-MDT reefers painted red-white blue?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Welch

The only photos I have ever seen of ex-MDT reefers are blue (lower half) & white w/a potato above the reporting marks. Champ did decals for this scheme.

Bill Welch

gary laakso

A picture of one of the BAR reefers in the scheme Bill referenced is on page 159 of our own Roger Hinman’s book Merchants Despatch.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 11:23 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Bangor & Aroostook 1927 Boxcar 61000 series (Reefer Colors)

The only photos I have ever seen of ex-MDT reefers are blue (lower half) & white w/a potato above the reporting marks. Champ did decals for this scheme.

Bill Welch

richard glueck

Pictures of my 1/8th scale model for live steam.  There are two pictures, I think one in color, at the very back of Jerry Angier's BAR history.  I'll try to scan it for you.

Dick Glueck

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018, 2:34:32 PM EDT, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

A picture of one of the BAR reefers in the scheme Bill referenced is on page 159 of our own Roger Hinman’s book Merchants Despatch.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Bangor & Aroostook 1927 Boxcar 61000 series (Reefer Colors)

Bill Welch

Virus-free. www.avg.com

ROGER HINMAN <rhinman11@...>

Attached is from the Bangor & Aroostook 1950 Annual Report. Notice that Tim got the date wrong also, purchases were begun in 1950 and done in batches  Stencil on car confirms this.

Roger Hinman

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jul 4, 2018 12:06 pm

The comment, "When BAR bought the used, wood sided MDT reefers, some of which were famously painted in red, white, and blue, in 1949-50..." caught my attention. I have been looking for a photo on one of these red-white-blue reefers for years.

Back in 2003 Tim Gilbert said, "The BAR did not buy their first reefer until 1951. The first series 338 strong in 1/1953, #6000-6999, were ex-MDT reefers and were painted yellow with black ends. The second series were the #7000-7856 which were built by Pacific Car & Foundry - 500 in 1951-52 and another 357 in 1953. These had yellow sides and ends. The #7000's were the ones rented to PFE during the summer - the off-season for Aroostook County spuds."

A lot of modelers falsely believe the PC&F steel-sheathed reefers used the red-white-blue paint scheme. Perhaps this is because some of the ex-MDT reefers were so painted, although others disagree about this.

Does anyone have a photo or photo source for the ex-MDT reefers painted red-white blue?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Welch

Very cool Roger. What colour is the Potato please?

Bill Welch

Brown

Roger Hinman

Sent: Wed, Jul 4, 2018 5:06 pm

Very cool Roger. What colour is the Potato please?

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

I thought so since they are brown. The Champ decal seems black or dark grey.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

I have a set of the Champ decals, and my potato is definitely a rich brown color,
not black or grey.

So... the $64,000 question... is there an HO scale MODEL for the MDT reefers acquired
by the Bangor & Aroostook?

I've included a couple of scans from Ted Culotta - note the date on BAR "S1300" -
it's 11-1949. And the potato-less scheme on BAR 6652 !

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

That is the $64K question Tim. To me this is the most obvious gap in kit availability reefer-wise or freight car wise for that matter in HO with a variety of decades, reporting marks and paint schemes. Someone is missing the boat here.

Bill Welch

Donald B. Valentine

Sometimes I need to remember to check my own resources. Jerry Angier's & Herb Cleaves' "Bangor & Aroostook, The Maine Railroad" book on the BAR has two photos of the ex-MDT reefers, both in black & white. #6006 appears on page #85 and #6508 on page #273, both painted in the blue and white pattern with the brown potato on the white background at the upper left.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bob Chaparro

Thank all of you for the information. I appreciate it.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

The attached is a car I built back in the 90s using the Champ set, looks brown to me

Roger Hinman

Sent: Wed, Jul 4, 2018 5:33 pm

Bill Welch

John Hagen

While brown is a relatively common color in the 12” to the foot world (think UPS) or any world where paint is mixed and used, it the decal world it is not so easy.

Model railroad decals generally use inks, not paint as the pigments are too thick, and there is not an infinite numbers of colors and/or hues attainable by mixing or layering available inks.

Ergo, the medium brown that would be preferable in decaling ain’t easy to achieve. And in Champ’s era ……..

John Hagen

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 4:33 PM

I thought so since they are brown. The Champ decal seems black or dark grey

Bill Welch