Topics

Bangor & Aroostook 1927 Boxcar 61000 series (Reefer Colors)

Bob Chaparro

The comment, "When BAR bought the used, wood sided MDT reefers, some of which were famously painted in red, white, and blue, in 1949-50..." caught my attention. I have been looking for a photo on one of these red-white-blue reefers for years.

Back in 2003 Tim Gilbert said, "The BAR did not buy their first reefer until 1951. The first series 338 strong in 1/1953, #6000-6999, were ex-MDT reefers and were painted yellow with black ends. The second series were the #7000-7856 which were built by Pacific Car & Foundry - 500 in 1951-52 and another 357 in 1953. These had yellow sides and ends. The #7000's were the ones rented to PFE during the summer - the off-season for Aroostook County spuds."

A lot of modelers falsely believe the PC&F steel-sheathed reefers used the red-white-blue paint scheme. Perhaps this is because some of the ex-MDT reefers were so painted, although others disagree about this.

Does anyone have a photo or photo source for the ex-MDT reefers painted red-white blue?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Welch

The only photos I have ever seen of ex-MDT reefers are blue (lower half) & white w/a potato above the reporting marks. Champ did decals for this scheme.

Bill Welch

gary laakso

A picture of one of the BAR reefers in the scheme Bill referenced is on page 159 of our own Roger Hinman’s book Merchants Despatch.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

The only photos I have ever seen of ex-MDT reefers are blue (lower half) & white w/a potato above the reporting marks. Champ did decals for this scheme.

Bill Welch

richard glueck

Pictures of my 1/8th scale model for live steam.  There are two pictures, I think one in color, at the very back of Jerry Angier's BAR history.  I'll try to scan it for you.

Dick Glueck

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018, 2:34:32 PM EDT, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

A picture of one of the BAR reefers in the scheme Bill referenced is on page 159 of our own Roger Hinman’s book Merchants Despatch.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

The only photos I have ever seen of ex-MDT reefers are blue (lower half) & white w/a potato above the reporting marks. Champ did decals for this scheme.

Bill Welch

ROGER HINMAN <rhinman11@...>

Attached is from the Bangor & Aroostook 1950 Annual Report. Notice that Tim got the date wrong also, purchases were begun in 1950 and done in batches  Stencil on car confirms this.

Roger Hinman

[...]

Very cool Roger. What colour is the Potato please?

Bill Welch

ROGER HINMAN <rhinman11@...>

Brown

Roger Hinman