SOUTHERN 41'6" flat car questions

Bruce Smith

​Folks,

Given that I had today off from work, I dedicated it to moving some projects forward, including a resin SOUTHERN 41'6" flat car (116850-117349) kit from the Southern HS and Wrightrrak.

A couple of questions have arisen in the process...

1) What type of bracket was used to secure the trainline at the end of the car? The instructions do not indicate this.

2) What type of trucks are appropriate on this car? I see that some neighboring series appear to have T-Section trucks while the kit includes the ubiquitous Accurail "Bettendorf" trucks

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Tim O'Connor

116177 - T-section VULCAN trucks, spring plank (banned in 1957?)
116691 - AAR U-section, spring plank
117008 - AAR U-section, spring plank (blurry image)
117644 - T-section VULCAN trucks, spring plank (converted to "gondola")

Tim O'

Given that I had today off from work, I dedicated it to moving some projects forward, including a resin SOUTHERN 41'6" flat car (116850-117349) kit from the Southern HS and Wrightrrak.
2) What type of trucks are appropriate on this car? I see that some neighboring series appear to have T-Section trucks while the kit includes the ubiquitous Accurail "Bettendorf" trucks
Regards,
Bruce Smith

George Eichelberger

Bruce:

Here is a Google Drive link to printable sizes of the two parts of Southern drawing SF-1126 showing the General Arrangement for Southern 116850-117349. It shows the brake line passing through the end sill. A minor detail....note the rivets on the body bolster directly above the truck side frame are flattened to provide clearance when the springs were completely depressed.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bM3G4RwUZphqjcAPc-Cd_-1CDNiE-3be?usp=sharing

I cannot find a reference to the Truck Spec for this series of cars. Truck Spec FT-97 was for series 116600-116849 and most likely applied to 116850-117349 but it is not much help. It specifies an arch bar truck that has been pencilled out and replaced with a "standard 50-ton cast steel freight truck". As this was when the Southern was changing from arch bar to cast steel trucks so exactly what was used on a particular car needs to be verified using a photo.

Ike

PS The same design was used for cars built and operated as "gondolas". Other than the wood sides and ends, they were the same as the 116000 series flats. It's not weathered but here's a photo of the same kit as a gon.

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

Wow! That is service . . . THANKS Mr. Eichelberger

Al Kresse

On July 5, 2018 at 11:46 AM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric Hansmann

Attached is an image of a Southern fishbelly side sill flat car hauling a long load of plate steel. The image is from the Historic Pittsburgh digital archive site and was taken at the Rankin yard in 1913. While this car looks similar to the drawings George shared, it has a few slight differences. The end sill and number of stack brackets are two main differences.

I would guess the extra hand brake wheel and staff are from the Philadelphia & Reading car ahead of this Southern flat car.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

David Jobe, Sr.

Thanks for that great photo Eric!  Also interesting is the repair to the lower end sheathing of Big Four 46611 on the adjacent track.

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, MO

[...]

Ike,

Thanks!  That’s great. So it almost sounds like these cars got whatever 50 ton truck was available when they were upgraded. ;)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:46 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

<Sou 117644.jpg>

Dennis Storzek

Also interesting how that car is marked, and a good example of why the MCB/ARA was trying to get the railroads to adopt standard reporting marks. The proper name of the railroad isn't "Big Four". It also isn't New York Central, and using NYC with that car number would be bogus, and likely to get the car lost. Meanwhile the switchman needs to check the end of the car to get its proper identification. I imagine inexperienced clerks came up with all sorts of incorrect variations before they could reliably remember this was the CCC&St.L.It was about this time that the ARA decreed that the roads had to either place their proper name or assigned initial adjacent to the car number, and this car illustrates why.

Dennis Storzek

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

Eric,

I know this is off subject, but are you going to produce the 1920'S Refer car into a kit for sale?

Dale Florence

On Thursday, July 5, 2018, 12:22:56 PM EDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

gary laakso

Before the rivet police confiscate the picture,  the corner sill step is missing on the end facing the camera.

Gary “I have flat cars with missing sill steps too” Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

[...]

Gary,

I’m not certain when Southern 115232 was built, but I suspect it was just before the 1911 amendments to the Safety Appliance Act. The amendment stipulated the addition of safety appliance hardware for all new freight cars. Railroads had a period of time to upgrade older rolling stock and some cars remained in original form into the late Teens.

To our current perspective, the corner sill step is missing. But to the perspective of 1913 prototypes, the car has not yet been upgraded to meet the new safety standards. Note the adjacent NYCL boxcar does not have a complete grab iron ladder on the car side. The Big Four boxcar seems to have a NEW 1912 date, so it should have the full complement of grabs and sill steps. The third boxcar in that string (a weathered LS&MS car) is missing the car side ladder. This would be a common appearance in 1913.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

Jack Mullen

Gary,

Well spotted, but the step isn't missing - there simply was never one fitted there ( note no rivet holes in the side sill). It's 1913 and this car hasn't been brought into compliance with the Safety Appliance Act yet.

Jack Mullen

Eric Hansmann

As George mentioned, the Southern 116850-117349 flat cars had a 41-foot, 6-inch length. The image I sent was of an earlier car build and a foot and a half shorter.

I have some data on the 1926 Southern flat cars but wanted to check it with the 1926 ORER listings. While checking, I found an error on the Southern recapitulation data. The listing notes 4623 for all standard gauge, class F cars but my tally from the car series listings comes to 2385. With that number in mind, here are the three main flat car series on the 1926 Southern Railway roster. I believe all of these are fish belly side sill cars.

115000-115749 :: 709 cars; 40-foot length

115750-116849 :: 1070 cars; 40-foot, 2-inch length

116850-117349 :: 56 cars; 41-foot, 6-inch length

These flat cars represent 76% of the 1926 Southern flat car fleet.

I’m also interested in the composite gondolas that used the same underframe as the 116850-117349 flat cars. I had thought there were more than these. Here are the 1926 numbers.

118000-118749 :: 730 cars; 40-foot, 2-inch outside length

Attached is an image of Southern 118319 that was found in the University of Kentucky digital archive. Sadly, the weigh date is hidden behind a stake bracket.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

hubert mask

Is there a decal set for this guy?  Just asking

Hubert Mask
Mask Island Decals

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

Gary,

Well spotted, but the step isn't missing - there simply was never one fitted there ( note no rivet holes in the side sill). It's 1913 and this car hasn't been brought into compliance with the Safety Appliance Act yet.

Jack Mullen

csxt5555

Can anyone give me the latest dates these were on the roster?  Both flats and the gone.

Kevin

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:17 PM, hubert mask <maskisland@...> wrote:

Is there a decal set for this guy?  Just asking

Hubert Mask
Mask Island Decals

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

Gary,

Well spotted, but the step isn't missing - there simply was never one fitted there ( note no rivet holes in the side sill). It's 1913 and this car hasn't been brought into compliance with the Safety Appliance Act yet.

Jack Mullen

Tim O'Connor

Kevin

Dunno when the last ones were off the roster, but...

Still 133 40ft 6in flat cars in series 116600 to 116849 in 1965

Still 175 41ft 6in flat cars in series 116850 to 117354 in 1965

Still  27 39ft 7in gondolas* in series 117500 to 117999 in 1965

  * These were all converted 41ft 6in flat cars, and 7 of them were
    classified as LP (pulpwood) and had end racks for that purpose

Tim O'Connor

 Can anyone give me the latest dates these were on the roster?  Both flats and the gone.
 Kevin

Is there a decal set for this guy?  Just asking

Hubert Mask
Mask Island Decals

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@... > wrote:

Gary,

Well spotted, but the step isn't missing - there simply was never one fitted there ( note no rivet holes in the side sill). It's 1913 and this car hasn't been brought into compliance with the Safety Appliance Act yet.

Jack Mullen

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Kevin,

In MW service, the flats were around into the 1980s. I photographed one of the last in Charlottesville around 1986.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 7/5/18 6:56 PM, csxt5555 via Groups.Io wrote:
Can anyone give me the latest dates these were on the roster?  Both flats and the gone.

Kevin

On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:17 PM, hubert mask <maskisland@...> wrote:

Is there a decal set for this guy?  Just asking

Hubert Mask
Mask Island Decals

On Jul 5, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

Gary,

Well spotted, but the step isn't missing - there simply was never one fitted there ( note no rivet holes in the side sill). It's 1913 and this car hasn't been brought into compliance with the Safety Appliance Act yet.

Jack Mullen

George Eichelberger

The Southern 117500-117999 series cars were not “converted”, they were built and numbered as gondolas and listed as such in the RERs. Why, after owning many typical 40 ft solid and DDB (double drop bottom) and USRA types, the Southern needed such a low side “gon” is unclear. I do not know if they are still in service but many of the 1920s era flat cars lived on in welded rail trains and MoW service for Norfolk Southern

I have attached what I think is the finest “portrait” of an empty flat car I have ever seen. Southern 117733 is from the SRHA collection, taken by David Driscoll at Ruffin, NC 9-14-43.

The WrightTrack model of the Southern cars is as accurate a model as can be produced. It is a good example of a historical group making drawings available to model companies that result in high quality models. Both Gary Wright and Jim King have given us resin kits and Exact Rail the spectacular Big John and waffle box cars from SRHA drawings. Every accurate Southern diesel produced in the last fifteen or so years used SRHA stencil drawings. My point is that if manufacturers ask, and historical groups provide drawings, we could see more truly “prototype” models produced. (I won’t “preach” about it here, but too many drawings, historical files and photos are locked away in archives and libraries that do not have the knowledge or interest in doing anything with them but control and ownership. If anyone does not know the story of how the David Salter collection was “hijacked” by one such organization, send me an email and I’ll explain.)

The specs and drawings for virtually every Southern purchased freight and passenger car are in the SRHA’s collection in the new TVRM/SRHA archives building in Chattanooga (the archives section of www.srha.net includes a soon to be updated photo tour). The Central of Georgia drawing clerks were unfortunately quite diligent about removing “obsolete” drawings from the files in Savannah but the SRHA CG files are extensive.

Ike

Bruce Smith

Ike, Folks,

Next question on these flatcars. I believe that the body should be Southern's oxide red color for my June 1944 date. Are the trucks oxide red, or black on these cars?

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Eric Hansmann

Thank you Ike for the generous shares of photos and detail on these Southern flat cars and gondolas.

Attached is an early image of Southern 116177 with a lumber load. I do not know the date but the car sports a NEW stencil. This came from another Pre-Depression Era modeler so I do not know the original source. The original file has been tweaked to improve the contrast and sharpen details.

Will these flat car and gondola kits be available again? I do not recall an announcement for the original releases and I’ve been on this list for nearly 20 years.

I hope to visit the Chattanooga facilities someday soon as I’m just a couple hours up the road.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN