Topics

The Twelfth St. Louis Railroad Prototype Modeler's Meet

T.J. Stratton

I'd like to complement the the "Collinsville" group for hosting another outstanding gathering! This event has grown even larger than in past years.   John Golden, Lonnie Bathurst, Dan Kohlberg and Dave Roeder did a great job with this popular event.  The clinics were well received. Nice selection of vendors. Great looking models on display.  Mark your calendar for July 26-27, 2019.

TJ Stratton

gtws00

I totally agree with TJ's comments. There were two hands on modeling clinics this year as well that was a nice addition.
George Toman

Clark Propst

I didn't visit with a lot of the manufacturers (importers) Sam Clarke of Kadee had some test shots of detail parts that will be very well received.
John Golden has the Dick Clark syndrome, he never seems to age. Guess final attendance total was 662.
Clark Propst

Lawrence Rast

Let me add my thanks to all for a job excellently done. It was a terrific event.

Lawrence Rast
Fort Wayne, Indiana

On Jul 23, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I didn't visit with a lot of the manufacturers (importers) Sam Clarke of Kadee had some test shots of detail parts that will be very well received.
John Golden has the Dick Clark syndrome, he never seems to age. Guess final attendance total was 662.
Clark Propst

Bill Welch

My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal—maybe i am wrong—and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

My only complaint is that the Canteen closed too early. I heard interest in having more clinics and repeating clinics. The facility is really great I think and the CREW was on top of everything.

Bill Welch

Eric Lombard

Good morning everyone 
 I am one of those new faces. In fact, this was my first RPM.  I came down on the train from Chicago and stayed with my sister in O’Fallon. I was very impressed with the Collinsville was a wonderful experience to see in person what modelers achieve in the present day. I enjoyed talking with vendors and meeting a couple of people I’ve corresponded with for several years but had never met in person. If I have a suggestion, it would be to somehow post alphabetized a list of attendees and where they are from. I would’ve liked to meet more people but I didn’t know how to find them not knowing what they look like!  Thanks again for all the hard work put into bringing the RPM about. 

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL
Headinding for the afternoon train home

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal—maybe i am wrong—and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

My only complaint is that the Canteen closed too early. I heard interest in having more clinics and repeating clinics. The facility is really great I think and the CREW was on top of everything.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

With such a large crowd (662) it would be statistically meaningful to ask every
attendee to give their current age and then compile an (anonymous) age graph of the
distribution of ages. If done every year we could get a much better idea of the
ages of RPM modelers, at least. It's been known for a long time that many people
don't enter the hobby seriously until their 30s or 40s - once they start to "settle
down". Even in the 1960's I think the "average" age compiled by Model Railroader was
in the early to mid 40's.

Tim O'Connor

My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal­maybe i am wrong­and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

Bill Welch

ford.donald77

This was my 4th Collinsville Meet best yet great clinics, outstanding models, the vendors must have been good my pocket book is a lot lighter, my jaw is worn out, great time.
Thanks to all that put this together
Con Ford 
Cameron MO

Nelson Moyer

I saw a lot of younger people and many young people roaming the aisles (I’m 75). From the increasing number of models from periods later than the steam and transition eras, one may extrapolate that the hobby is attracting new blood from the 60s through the 90s. The weathering stations are catering to those who favor rust buckets with graffiti, so the 70s and 80s are getting lots of attention, not only from the manufacturers represented, but the modelers as well. I even saw a guy with a PC shirt who must be a masochist. The number of freight cars from before 1950 was down, which may bode ill for those of us who like single sheathed boxcars from fallen flags. There were very few cars from the teens and twenties, more for the 30s-40s, but still down from previous years. The hobby is definitely evolving with respect to eras of interest, and that may bode ill for those of us who scratchbuild, build resin, and kitbash plastic as material sources become scarce, and RTR takes over the hobby as my generation passes on.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 10:59 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Cc: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] The Twelfth St. Louis Railroad Prototype Modeler's Meet

With such a large crowd (662) it would be statistically meaningful to ask every
attendee to give their current age and then compile an (anonymous) age graph of the
distribution of ages. If done every year we could get a much better idea of the
ages of RPM modelers, at least. It's been known for a long time that many people
don't enter the hobby seriously until their 30s or 40s - once they start to "settle
down". Even in the 1960's I think the "average" age compiled by Model Railroader was
in the early to mid 40's.

Tim O'Connor

My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal­maybe i am wrong­and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

Bill Welch

Richard Townsend

That's been the conventional wisdom for the last 40 or 50 years. Not dead yet!

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Jul 23, 2018 6:53 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] The Twelfth St. Louis Railroad Prototype Modeler's Meet

Bill Welch

Daniel A. Mitchell

I’ve not been to the St. Louis meets, but I’m a regular at the Naperville (now Lisle) meets, and always attend the STMFC dinners.

What what I’m going to say here is not new, but it’s worth remembering. The aging of any group is worrisome. However it’s not necessary (though desirable) to have a big influx of young members to combat this. A major part of the model railroad community has always been middle-aged or recently retired folks joining, or especially rejoining, the hobby. Young adults don’t make up a big fraction of hardly any such groups as ours. They’re too busy working, raising a family, getting more education, or maybe just surviving. They may have been model RR’s once, but just can’t fit it in during such hectic times.

I worked for many years part-time at a hobby shop. It was not at all unusual to have an elderly man come in and buy a complete set of trains (not necessarily a “train set”) to start into the hobby. The story was always something like … “When I was a kid I always wanted a model train but my parents wouldn’t buy me one, then as a teenager I couldn’t afford on, and as an adult I was too busy to get one. Now I’m retired and have money and time, and by gosh I’m gonn’a have a TRAIN!"

While it won’t reverse the "aging” issue, a steady inflow of such middle-aged, even elderly folks can sustain the community or even make it grow in numbers.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Jul 23, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Eric Lombard <elombard@...> wrote:

Good morning everyone 
 I am one of those new faces. In fact, this was my first RPM.  I came down on the train from Chicago and stayed with my sister in O’Fallon. I was very impressed with the Collinsville was a wonderful experience to see in person what modelers achieve in the present day. I enjoyed talking with vendors and meeting a couple of people I’ve corresponded with for several years but had never met in person. If I have a suggestion, it would be to somehow post alphabetized a list of attendees and where they are from. I would’ve liked to meet more people but I didn’t know how to find them not knowing what they look like!  Thanks again for all the hard work put into bringing the RPM about. 

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL
Headinding for the afternoon train home

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Bill Welch

Douglas Harding

I took a friend with me, we are both in our early 60s. He had never been to an RPM, and was duly impressed. He was even more amazed at the $25 entry fee, far less than he expected. I remember making the comment this was going to be a $500 weekend, with gas, hotel, meals and a few RR items. I saw some spending much more in the vendor area. Those who bought a plane ticket spent even more just to attend. Think about that for a moment. How many 20 or 30 year olds can spend $500-1000 or more on a weekend jaunt? Unless dad or grandpa is footing the bill?

I suspect the reason we see so many “old” modelers at these events is because only those with disposable income can afford to attend. And it is older folks who have disposable income for hobby weekends that involve travel. The crowd on Saturday was much heavier with many locals attending Saturday only, but also many younger attending Saturday only because they had to work on Friday.

It was indeed a great event. Learned more about grain dryers than I ever thought possible. And Dan Holbrook’s presentation on Friday night was terrific.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

golden1014

That's not a bad idea.  I think it would be interesting if all the RPMs did it--that way we can get some good demographics across the continent.  We have an "RPM Hosts" list on Yahoo--maybe I can get that conversation started and we can come up with a good survey that can be used at all the events.

I would add that St. Louis and a few others, notably BAPM, have always been events for "modern" modelers--which naturally tend to be younger.  There are plenty of geezers there too.

Sorry to drag us off-topic.  Thanks for everyone's kind comments about the St. Louis event.

John Golden

golden1014

Attendance was great but I think all the RPMs are up in attendance.  Naperville is, Cocoa's holding strong, the Minneapolis event is growing, and there are other start-ups.  RPM works.  

There were a lot of new products and announcements there.  The Kadee parts were cool.  I picked up a lot of parts from Yarmouth and Speedwitch, and the new Speedwitch cars coming are very cool.

John Golden
Jetlag, Germany