Topics

The Twelfth St. Louis Railroad Prototype Modeler's Meet

T.J. Stratton

I'd like to complement the the "Collinsville" group for hosting another outstanding gathering! This event has grown even larger than in past years.   John Golden, Lonnie Bathurst, Dan Kohlberg and Dave Roeder did a great job with this popular event.  The clinics were well received. Nice selection of vendors. Great looking models on display.  Mark your calendar for July 26-27, 2019.

TJ Stratton

gtws00

I totally agree with TJ's comments. There were two hands on modeling clinics this year as well that was a nice addition.
George Toman

Clark Propst

I didn't visit with a lot of the manufacturers (importers) Sam Clarke of Kadee had some test shots of detail parts that will be very well received.
John Golden has the Dick Clark syndrome, he never seems to age. Guess final attendance total was 662.
Clark Propst

Lawrence Rast

Let me add my thanks to all for a job excellently done. It was a terrific event.

Lawrence Rast
Fort Wayne, Indiana

On Jul 23, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I didn't visit with a lot of the manufacturers (importers) Sam Clarke of Kadee had some test shots of detail parts that will be very well received.
John Golden has the Dick Clark syndrome, he never seems to age. Guess final attendance total was 662.
Clark Propst

Bill Welch

My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal—maybe i am wrong—and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

My only complaint is that the Canteen closed too early. I heard interest in having more clinics and repeating clinics. The facility is really great I think and the CREW was on top of everything.

Bill Welch

Eric Lombard

 Good morning everyone
 I am one of those new faces. In fact, this was my first RPM.  I came down on the train from Chicago and stayed with my sister in O’Fallon. I was very impressed with the Collinsville was a wonderful experience to see in person what modelers achieve in the present day. I enjoyed talking with vendors and meeting a couple of people I’ve corresponded with for several years but had never met in person. If I have a suggestion, it would be to somehow post alphabetized a list of attendees and where they are from. I would’ve liked to meet more people but I didn’t know how to find them not knowing what they look like!  Thanks again for all the hard work put into bringing the RPM about.

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL
Headinding for the afternoon train home

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal—maybe i am wrong—and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

My only complaint is that the Canteen closed too early. I heard interest in having more clinics and repeating clinics. The facility is really great I think and the CREW was on top of everything.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

With such a large crowd (662) it would be statistically meaningful to ask every
attendee to give their current age and then compile an (anonymous) age graph of the
distribution of ages. If done every year we could get a much better idea of the
ages of RPM modelers, at least. It's been known for a long time that many people
don't enter the hobby seriously until their 30s or 40s - once they start to "settle
down". Even in the 1960's I think the "average" age compiled by Model Railroader was
in the early to mid 40's.

Tim O'Connor

My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal­maybe i am wrong­and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

My only complaint is that the Canteen closed too early. I heard interest in having more clinics and repeating clinics. The facility is really great I think and the CREW was on top of everything.

Bill Welch

ford.donald77

This was my 4th Collinsville Meet best yet great clinics, outstanding models, the vendors must have been good my pocket book is a lot lighter, my jaw is worn out, great time.
Thanks to all that put this together
Con Ford
Cameron MO

Nelson Moyer

I saw a lot of younger people and many young people roaming the aisles (I’m 75). From the increasing number of models from periods later than the steam and transition eras, one may extrapolate that the hobby is attracting new blood from the 60s through the 90s. The weathering stations are catering to those who favor rust buckets with graffiti, so the 70s and 80s are getting lots of attention, not only from the manufacturers represented, but the modelers as well. I even saw a guy with a PC shirt who must be a masochist. The number of freight cars from before 1950 was down, which may bode ill for those of us who like single sheathed boxcars from fallen flags. There were very few cars from the teens and twenties, more for the 30s-40s, but still down from previous years. The hobby is definitely evolving with respect to eras of interest, and that may bode ill for those of us who scratchbuild, build resin, and kitbash plastic as material sources become scarce, and RTR takes over the hobby as my generation passes on.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Richard Townsend

That's been the conventional wisdom for the last 40 or 50 years. Not dead yet!

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR