From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] URL for Southwest Scale

Not sure if this is up to date Bob as there are no photos of Dan Hall's Superior doors but maybe if will get you in the door: http://www.southwestscale.com/Freight-Car-Details_c3.htm

Bill Welch
_._,_._,_

Steve Haas

http://www.southwestscale.com/

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Tim O'Connor

Perhaps we could try to get Dan Hall (the pilot) in contact with Don Tichy - I think
his doors would be an excellent addition to the Tichy product line, and Don is still very
much in business and keeps expanding his line every year. What do you think?

Tim O'Connor

Southwest Scale is owned by a retired airline pilot. He has closed down his shop, and he sometimes ships items for online sales from leftover supply when he is back in the country (He does out of country pilot training for Boeing). I have not received any doors for over three years. He has stated that his tool making days are over, and I think (He has not said this) that the few dollars from selling plastic freight car doors isn't much of an incentive to fill orders.

Most of his remaining doors are Superior panel doors, as most of his Youngstown doors are sold out.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Robert J Miller CFA

I’ll second your motion, Tim.

On Jul 23, 2018, at 10:45 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 07:45 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Perhaps we could try to get Dan Hall (the pilot) in contact with Don Tichy - I think
his doors would be an excellent addition to the Tichy product line...
Or possibly Cannon & Company. Am I remembering correctly that they are now doing laser cut freightcar kits?

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Dennis

Yes, David Hussey is cranking out lots of 1960's and later laser cut "kitbash"
models - he's improved and expanded the old Modeler's Choice idea. But only a very
small number of his own castings (box car ends in some cases) are involved. And
none of the current cars would use any of the Southwest doors, which are all for
transition (late STMFC) era box cars.

Tim O'Connor

Perhaps we could try to get Dan Hall (the pilot) in contact with Don Tichy - I think
his doors would be an excellent addition to the Tichy product line...

Or possibly Cannon & Company. Am I remembering correctly that they are now doing laser cut freightcar kits?

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

Tim,

Does David still run Gordon's old locomotive parts?

Dennis Storzek

Bill Welch

Very much so. I sat with Dave while he explained molding to me and told me about his molding machines. Great guy, very creative. Depending on Dan hall's molds for his door, they might fit his machinery.

Another candidate would be Intermountain since their kits can make use of the doors.

Bill Welch

Does Dave have a website or email address so that we could see his offerings?

Bill Welch

Dave is Cannon and Company.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

I think he does. He added to the product line after acquiring it. Sales
have probably dried up thanks to the flood of super model imports from China.

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

Does David still run Gordon's old locomotive parts?

Dennis Storzek

dh30973

To Dennis, yes I still run all of Gordon’s diesel parts. As Tim pointed out, the advent of highly phase specific, and detailed engines made in China has cut into the overall sales, but maintaining a web site and offering direct sales vs just distributor sales has kept sales reasonable.
I’m not sure if Dan Hall’s molds fit my mold base. I talked to him in St Louis, and he has sold  his press, but felt there are commercial shops around that could run his parts.
Currently my laser cut Freight Car kits are mostly 60’s built so just beyond the scope of this list (sorry Mike), but some use Dennis’s under frames.

Dave Hussey
Cannon and Company