Replacement for Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown

Chuck Cover

I have a number of ATSF projects coming up and in the past have used Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown as my go to paint.  Can someone recommend another solvent based paint that has a similar color characteristic as the Floquil?   Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Roger Huber <trainpainter@...>

Chuck,

You might look at the Star Brand paints sold by PBL. I have used them before and the results are excellent. I thinned them with Dio-Sol and/or Scalecoat I thinner as well as automotive lacquer thinner. The colors are, naturally for PBL, D&RGW narrow gauge colors but they have several boxcar reds and mineral browns and also weathered/faded versions of them. The experience I had was they dried with a smooth semi gloss or satin finish that could take decal application well. Once mixed with thinner the shelf life is short so only mix what you intend to use at the time or very soon.

http://www.p-b-l.com/

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Saturday, July 28, 2018, 7:11:45 PM CDT, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

I have a number of ATSF projects coming up and in the past have used Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown as my go to paint.  Can someone recommend another solvent based paint that has a similar color characteristic as the Floquil?   Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Benjamin Hom

Chuck Cover asked:
"I have a number of ATSF projects coming up and in the past have used Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown as my go to paint.  Can someone recommend another solvent based paint that has a similar color characteristic as the Floquil?"

This Microscale conversion chart recommend Model Master Rust, stock number 1785.

Ben Hom

Pierre Oliver

Scalecoat(through Minuteman models) offers a near perfect recreation of the original Floquil color

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 7/28/18 3:48 PM, Chuck Cover wrote:

I have a number of ATSF projects coming up and in the past have used Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown as my go to paint.  Can someone recommend another solvent based paint that has a similar color characteristic as the Floquil?   Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

O Fenton Wells

I have switched to Scalecoat II and they offer a Santa Fe brown but I could only get it through Minute Man hobbies.  A very nice SC II primer is offered through them as well.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

hubert mask

Good morning Fenton.  Scalecoat is minute man hobbies.  They are one in the same.

Hubert.

On Jul 29, 2018, at 7:52 AM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I have switched to Scalecoat II and they offer a Santa Fe brown but I could only get it through Minute Man hobbies.  A very nice SC II primer is offered through them as well.
Fenton

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:
I have a number of ATSF projects coming up and in the past have used Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown as my go to paint.  Can someone recommend another solvent based paint that has a similar color characteristic as the Floquil?   Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

bill woelfel

Try Scalecoat # 2144, it's allegedly a Floquil clone, Called ATSF Mineral Brown.  Bill

Nelson Moyer

There is another alternative. Santa Fe used a brown version of boxcar red before 1944, and a mineral red version from 1945 until the ATSF red era.

Tru Color

Lacquer

Gloss

TCP-251

Santa Fe 1945+ Freight Car Brown

Tru Color

Lacquer

Gloss

TCP-019

Santa Fe Brown

TCP-019 is for cars painted before 1944. Be aware that Tru Color has a learning curve, dries to a gloss finish, and cars must be primed for paint adherence. I’ve done a couple of waycars with TCP-251, and the color is right for late 1940s paint jobs.

Nelson Moyer

Try Scalecoat # 2144, it's allegedly a Floquil clone, Called ATSF Mineral Brown.  Bill

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 7/29/2018 8:59 AM, Nelson Moyer wrote:
Santa Fe used a brown version of boxcar red before 1944, and a mineral red version from 1945 until the ATSF red era.

The normal titles (at least I think so) was ATSF mineral brown pre-war, post-war+/- Santa Fe brown, and after that some kind of red.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tim O'Connor

Floquil colors varied by batch - I have two bottles of the ATSF color and they
are not the same.

Tim O'Connor

Chuck Cover asked:
"I have a number of ATSF projects coming up and in the past have used Floquil ATSF Mineral Brown as my go to paint.  Can someone recommend another solvent based paint that has a similar color characteristic as the Floquil?"

This Microscale conversion chart recommend Model Master Rust, stock number 1785.
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/Floquil%20Color%20Chart.pdf

Ben Hom

Todd Sullivan

Just like the prototype?

Todd Sullivan

Chuck Cover

Group,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I now have a number of choices to research.  I appreciate everyone’s help.  I’ll post a few of my projects.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Bob Werre

I recently helped a family sell off a narrow gauge modeler's stuff.  Of course, I ended buying some items.  To that end I ended up with some un-opened bottles of Floquil.  I was hoping to trade with someone so I could keeping using them as a group.  I've inquired on a couple of mailing lists without response, so now I'll sell them as a group or individually.  I believe I do have several 'freight car' colors. I also have a few bottles of Driftwood stain too.  Contact me: Bob@...