Topics

Funaro & Camerlengo 1008 40' Boxcar NP 1918

Sean Murphy

Has anyone built one of these kits? I am looking for prototype photos of this series in the 1930's and 1940's. I am also interested in opinions on what paint color I should use on the boxcar?

Thanks ahead of time...

Bill Welch

I built this kit years ago but kit-bashed it adding a fishbelly center sill to model the attached, now offered by Yarmouth. My memory is that it went together well and had a good rendition of the NP radial roof. I used a Microscale set of decals and a reddish brown BCR paint.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

My notes on that photo say it is Northtown Yard, Minneapolis, in 1958. I think
the info came from the Ebay seller.

I built this kit years ago but kit-bashed it adding a fishbelly center sill to model the attached, now offered by Yarmouth. My memory is that it went together well and had a good rendition of the NP radial roof. I used a Microscale set of decals and a reddish brown BCR paint.

Bill Welch

Attachments:

lrkdbn

You should note that the F&C car is correct with straight draft sills. The 1918 cars did not have the fishbelly center sills. They were built to save steel during WW1. There is an article about them in (I think) "Railway Review" I can look it up if you're interested. There are also  drawings in the 1922 CBD.
Sincerely,
Larry King

Ken Adams

A little OT but isn't this the box car almost ready to arrive on our shores in RTR form from Rapido?

Benjamin Hom

Ken Adams asked:
"A little OT but isn't this the box car almost ready to arrive on our shores in RTR form from Rapido?"

No.  The Rapido car is a different prototype.

Ben Hom

Sean Murphy

Bill,

I believe that is a different car.

Larry,

If you have an article or photos on them, I would be interested. I have the 1922 CBD.

Everyone,

The history on this car I believe is that they are from the 17000 series which were renumbered to the 31000 series during the 1930's. They were then cut up, sold, or moved to company / MOW service by the 1951. Since I model Sept.1950 on the GN, only 2-3 cars from NP records were still in interchange at this point. I am working on the kit currently and it is my first F&C.

I'm starting my dive into the resin world and it brings me back to the fun I had assembling blue box kits 20 years ago. I'm an architect, but now enjoy locomotive / rolling stock building and research more than almost any other aspect of the hobby. Go figure...

radiodial868

By coincidence, its sister kit (#1006) just came out of the paint shop.  It's the 1906 8' high version (vs the 1908 8'-6"). Same kit otherwise.  Has to be one of the better F&Cs, the radial roof casting is massive and fit down into the sides & ends perfectly all the way around. The trusses went in rather quickly. A couple of tricks I learned doing these is to string the fishing line alongside the queen posts, and then when all done and tied & glued off (do not overtighten), lift them up onto the queen post tips and then spot glue.  Nice taught trusses.  I run the line through the turnbuckles (I can see Bill Welch cringe), but the reliability loss and assembly grief is not worth the effort of trying to make them see-through.  Another is to do the brake rigging after the trusses are in except for the train line and drill as many holes ahead of the truss install you can.

Paint is Tru-Color TCP-193 NP 1930-45 Freight Car Brown over Vallejo Poly Primer (do not use the Tru-Color Primer).  The decals are crap, and if you can afford it, do as Bill says and use Microscale or Speedwich or something. Or you can do as I do and use the F&C blobs and pick the best ones from all the ones they provide.  The set includes ones for #1006-1008, so be sure to use the right ones.  I'm already dumping an extra $16 in parts and materials into what is a $24 kit, so buying decals is something I try to avoid.
As a side note, this would make a good kit for someone who was relatively new and wanted a truss rod kit that goes together well.  Just be sure to spend the money and get at least one Coffman right-angle clamp.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

lrkdbn

Sean send me your US mail address and I will send you a photocopy
Larry King <lrkdbn@...>

Eric Hansmann

Black Cat Publishing has some sweet decals for NP double-sheathed boxcars.

http://www.blackcatdecals.com/product-category/ho-decals/other-railways-us/page/3/

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

dgconnery@...

RJ,

Your build is looking great. Share another photo when you have finished the lettering please. I appreciate your words of experience.

Dave Connery