Topics

Kadee's new 1947 body style PS-1


StephenK
 

I have been looking at the new body style  PS-1 that Kadee is advertising.   The photo is not great and I am not so good at freight car identification anyway, so can someone please explain the diffierences between the current models and the new, 1947 style?

Thanks,

Steve kay 


Dave Boss
 

Hello
          As far as I know  the roof is different. It has no bowties on the end panels. The ends of the car don't have the small rectangle panels at the top of the end it will be just smooth at the very top. Dave

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 9:33 AM, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:
I have been looking at the new body style  PS-1 that Kadee is advertising.   The photo is not great and I am not so good at freight car identification anyway, so can someone please explain the diffierences between the current models and the new, 1947 style?

Thanks,

Steve kay 



Bill Welch
 

From memory the Sill Tabs are slightly different too. In terms of trickle down for detail parts this car will at a minimum produce a different end Bracket grab, Straight end ladders, several new brake wheels and doors, and two new steel running boards.

Bill Welch


StephenK
 

I got an email from Kadee on this question with a flyer attached.   It shows all the changes for what they call the "pre-1950" model.

Check it out:

https://kadee.com/html/pre50_PS-1.pdf

S Kay


Bill Keene
 

Yup! Another perfect example of start a kit bash project on your work bench and about the time you have completed the “bash” someone will produce a BX-52 in a better model than my modest modeling skills will accomplish. 

OK. Where is my royalty check?

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Aug 7, 2018, at 12:09 PM, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:

I got an email from Kadee on this question with a flyer attached.   It shows all the changes for what they call the "pre-1950" model.

Check it out:

https://kadee.com/html/pre50_PS-1.pdf

S Kay


Tim O'Connor
 


Thanks for sharing that. But why call the "retainer" valve an "AB" valve? I've
never seen that term applied to that valve before. After all, retainers were also
used for KC and KD brakes and have been used since AB gear itself became obsolete.

No mention is made of the new brake wheels and housings and new running boards,
which I'm sure has lots of folks even more excited than the box cars! :-)

Tim



I got an email from Kadee on this question with a flyer attached.   It shows all the changes for what they call the "pre-1950" model.

Check it out:

https://kadee.com/html/pre50_PS-1.pdf

S Kay


MDelvec952 <MDelvec952@...>
 



Will fill some needs, nice. 

Bill Keene, how about starting to kitbash a 10' IH version to move that up on the Kadee list?  

Many of the features are common to this one.  New Haven and Lackawanna had close to the entire production of them. (Asked and answered...)

                          ....Mike Del Vecchio




-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Keene via Groups.Io <bill41@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Aug 7, 2018 3:18 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Kadee's new 1947 body style PS-1

Yup! Another perfect example of start a kit bash project on your work bench and about the time you have completed the “bash” someone will produce a BX-52 in a better model than my modest modeling skills will accomplish. 

OK. Where is my royalty check?

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Aug 7, 2018, at 12:09 PM, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:

I got an email from Kadee on this question with a flyer attached.   It shows all the changes for what they call the "pre-1950" model.

Check it out:

https://kadee.com/html/pre50_PS-1.pdf

S Kay


Bill Keene
 

Mike,

I could use a New Haven car. Do not yet have one in the fleet, Come to think about it… I am also lacking a Lackawanna car. 

Right now it is too hot to work out in the garage where the work bench is located. Maybe this winter during times I get  bored building the layout. 

Cheers
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Aug 7, 2018, at 12:35 PM, MDelvec952 via Groups.Io <MDelvec952@...> wrote:



Will fill some needs, nice. 

Bill Keene, how about starting to kitbash a 10' IH version to move that up on the Kadee list?  

Many of the features are common to this one.  New Haven and Lackawanna had close to the entire production of them. (Asked and answered...)

                          ....Mike Del Vecchio




-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Keene via Groups.Io <bill41@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Aug 7, 2018 3:18 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Kadee's new 1947 body style PS-1

Yup! Another perfect example of start a kit bash project on your work bench and about the time you have completed the “bash” someone will produce a BX-52 in a better model than my modest modeling skills will accomplish. 

OK. Where is my royalty check?

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA


On Aug 7, 2018, at 12:09 PM, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:

I got an email from Kadee on this question with a flyer attached.   It shows all the changes for what they call the "pre-1950" model.

Check it out:

https://kadee.com/html/pre50_PS-1.pdf

S Kay



Tim Meyer
 

I really like the Kadee flyer. It helps me understand the details better.

Tim Meyer


Jim Mischke
 



New Haven's PS-1 boxcars were prone to resale.

Examples of ex-NH 10'-0" inside height PS-1 boxcars were the first blue Port Huron and Detroit boxcars, and the yellow with red lettering AC&Y boxcars.    

Others went to DRGW, LV, CNW, TPW, WAB, and LNAC, I think these were 10'-6" inside height boxcars, hence road names for the new Kadee 1947-vintage tooling.

Were any of these 1950's sales?



Tim Meyer
 

The CNW had riveted sides for the orders from September-1948 though July-1951.

Tim Meyer


Peter Ness
 

Hi Jim,

 

Sorry, no.  New Haven Summaries of Equipment through December 1962 still shoe most of the 10’6” IH cars rostered in service.

 

Regards,

Peter

 

Peter R. Ness
website: http://newhavenrailroad1959.webs.com/

 

 

 

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Mischke
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 7:22 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Kadee's new 1947 body style PS-1

 



New Haven's PS-1 boxcars were prone to resale.

Examples of ex-NH 10'-0" inside height PS-1 boxcars were the first blue Port Huron and Detroit boxcars, and the yellow with red lettering AC&Y boxcars.    

Others went to DRGW, LV, CNW, TPW, WAB, and LNAC, I think these were 10'-6" inside height boxcars, hence road names for the new Kadee 1947-vintage tooling.

Were any of these 1950's sales?


Ed Hawkins
 


On Aug 13, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Jim Mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

New Haven's PS-1 boxcars were prone to resale.

Examples of ex-NH 10'-0" inside height PS-1 boxcars were the first blue Port Huron and Detroit boxcars, and the yellow with red lettering AC&Y boxcars.    

Others went to DRGW, LV, CNW, TPW, WAB, and LNAC, I think these were 10'-6" inside height boxcars, hence road names for the new Kadee 1947-vintage tooling.

Were any of these 1950's sales?

Jim,
PS-1 40’ box & auto car production during 1947-1948 totaled 16,965 cars, many of which are in Kadee’s plans to produce. By 1960 all but one railroad had experienced around a 1 to 3 percent attrition of these cars. This rate was not high enough to show evidence during the 1950s of sales to a second-hand owner. 

One exception may be the Boston & Maine for BM 74000-74499 built ca. 9-47. Through 1/57 these cars experienced “normal attrition” with 489 cars reported in the ORER. By 1/58 the quantity dropped to 447, an 8.6 percent drop in one year. In 1/60 the quantity continued steady at 446. It would seem unlikely that 42 cars just 10-11 years old would have been lost to normal attrition in 1957. My thoughts are that a second-hand sale was made or possibly some cars leased to another railroad and not counted by the B&M for their ORER reporting.

Keep in mind that BM received large orders of PS-1 box cars in 1956 & 1957: 1,000 - 50’ cars in 1956 & 539 - 40’ cars in 1957. These new cars may have something to do with the 42-car drop of the 1947-built PS-1 box cars that occurred in 1957. 

Perhaps someone on this discussion group may know the disposition of the 42 cars and if any were sold in 1957 to a new owner. 
Regards,
Ed Hawkins


Schleigh Mike
 

Hello Group!

Ed Hawkins contemplates the following regarding Boston & Main PS-1 cars in the 74000-74499 series----

"Keep in mind that BM received large orders of PS-1 box cars in 1956 & 1957: 1,000 - 50’ cars in 1956 & 539 - 40’ cars in 1957. These new cars may have something to do with the 42-car drop of the 1947-built PS-1 box cars that occurred in 1957. 

Perhaps someone on this discussion group may know the disposition of the 42 cars and if any were sold in 1957 to a new owner. "

The answer can be found at Lowell, Mass. where the B&M Hist. Soc. has archives of the RR.  I have a number of copied pages from a log book entitled  "New Equipment & Equipment Destroyed" which, as it might be inferred, lists the equipment entering and leaving the assets of the RR.  I copied a large number (but not all) of the pages a few years back for other cars of interest.  Reviewing what I have relates only three of the 74000-74499 series cars being passed to other RRs as wreck replacements.  No large 'blocks' of cars are in my material.  However, a full review starting in 1956 might uncover evidence of the 42 cars Ed has noted.  Contact with the Lowell HQ of the Society is easily made via their web-site, also easily found.  Email is:  [bmrrhs@...].

Happy historical railroading from Grove City in wet, wonderful, western Penna.----Mike Schleigh

On Monday, August 13, 2018, 10:45:58 PM EDT, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:



On Aug 13, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Jim Mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

New Haven's PS-1 boxcars were prone to resale.

Examples of ex-NH 10'-0" inside height PS-1 boxcars were the first blue Port Huron and Detroit boxcars, and the yellow with red lettering AC&Y boxcars.    

Others went to DRGW, LV, CNW, TPW, WAB, and LNAC, I think these were 10'-6" inside height boxcars, hence road names for the new Kadee 1947-vintage tooling.

Were any of these 1950's sales?

Jim,
PS-1 40’ box & auto car production during 1947-1948 totaled 16,965 cars, many of which are in Kadee’s plans to produce. By 1960 all but one railroad had experienced around a 1 to 3 percent attrition of these cars. This rate was not high enough to show evidence during the 1950s of sales to a second-hand owner. 

One exception may be the Boston & Maine for BM 74000-74499 built ca. 9-47. Through 1/57 these cars experienced “normal attrition” with 489 cars reported in the ORER. By 1/58 the quantity dropped to 447, an 8.6 percent drop in one year. In 1/60 the quantity continued steady at 446. It would seem unlikely that 42 cars just 10-11 years old would have been lost to normal attrition in 1957. My thoughts are that a second-hand sale was made or possibly some cars leased to another railroad and not counted by the B&M for their ORER reporting.

Keep in mind that BM received large orders of PS-1 box cars in 1956 & 1957: 1,000 - 50’ cars in 1956 & 539 - 40’ cars in 1957. These new cars may have something to do with the 42-car drop of the 1947-built PS-1 box cars that occurred in 1957. 

Perhaps someone on this discussion group may know the disposition of the 42 cars and if any were sold in 1957 to a new owner. 
Regards,
Ed Hawkins