Topics

Heinz Pickle and Vinegar Car info

I have a set of info that was produced by Heinz in 1941.  It includes 1/4" scale drawings of the pickle and vinegar cars along with paint chips of the yellow and blue paint used on the cars.  Drawings include dimensions and lettering diagrams.  The info was intended for use by model railroaders.  I don't remember when or where I acquired it.  I would like it to go to someone who will make the information available to everyone who is interested in Heinz freight cars.  It should not be in a file drawer which is where I found it tonight.  I had forgotten that I had it.  I think the paint chips alone make the info packet valuable.  I am open to suggestions.  Respectfully submitted by Hugh T Guillaume

Frank Pearsall

Good morning all:

These two quarter-inch scale drawing sets (less the paint chips) have been available from the Underground Railway Press since 1990. Here’s how they show up in the catalog:

HJH-001, H. J. Heinze Pickle Tankcar
HJH-002, H. J. Heinze Vinegar Tankcar

If you’re interested, contact me off list and I’ll provide ordering instructions.

Frank A. Pearsall
Brevard, N.C.

On Aug 3, 2018, at 12:10 AM, Hugh Guillaume via Groups.Io <mguill1224@...> wrote:

I have a set of info that was produced by Heinz in 1941.  It includes 1/4" scale drawings of the pickle and vinegar cars along with paint chips of the yellow and blue paint used on the cars.  Drawings include dimensions and lettering diagrams.  The info was intended for use by model railroaders.  I don't remember when or where I acquired it.  I would like it to go to someone who will make the information available to everyone who is interested in Heinz freight cars.  It should not be in a file drawer which is where I found it tonight.  I had forgotten that I had it.  I think the paint chips alone make the info packet valuable.  I am open to suggestions.  Respectfully submitted by Hugh T Guillaume.
_._,_._,_

Steve SANDIFER

Send to an archive like the one in Temple that will care for it and share it.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:10 PM, Hugh Guillaume via Groups.Io
<mguill1224@...> wrote:
I have a set of info that was produced by Heinz in 1941.  It includes 1/4" scale drawings of the pickle and vinegar cars along with paint chips of the yellow and blue paint used on the cars.  Drawings include dimensions and lettering diagrams.  The info was intended for use by model railroaders.  I don't remember when or where I acquired it.  I would like it to go to someone who will make the information available to everyone who is interested in Heinz freight cars.  It should not be in a file drawer which is where I found it tonight.  I had forgotten that I had it.  I think the paint chips alone make the info packet valuable.  I am open to suggestions.  Respectfully submitted by Hugh T Guillaume

Schleigh Mike

Hello Hugh and Group!

What Hugh describes sounds like part of the hand-out material from the national NMRA meet held in Pittsburgh in the early 1990s.  Several of our Group were involved in this endeavor.  The freight car material was provided with permission of the Heinz Co. and had been in their company files for years.

Regards from Grove City, Penna. where summer seems to be gasping----Mike Schleigh

On Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:10:42 AM EDT, Hugh Guillaume via Groups.Io <mguill1224@...> wrote:

I have a set of info that was produced by Heinz in 1941.  It includes 1/4" scale drawings of the pickle and vinegar cars along with paint chips of the yellow and blue paint used on the cars.  Drawings include dimensions and lettering diagrams.  The info was intended for use by model railroaders.  I don't remember when or where I acquired it.  I would like it to go to someone who will make the information available to everyone who is interested in Heinz freight cars.  It should not be in a file drawer which is where I found it tonight.  I had forgotten that I had it.  I think the paint chips alone make the info packet valuable.  I am open to suggestions.  Respectfully submitted by Hugh T Guillaume

Hugh and Mike – In the 1980s Byron Rose and I visited the plant and met with the marketing manager.  We were allowed to copy photos in an early Heinz history book, all the photos in the archives plus wander around the plant exterior to identify where the cars were loaded/unloaded/stored.  Much of that info was published in my history sheet for the 2200 series pickle cars.  All of it was published in the pickle special interest group newsletter.  My files also included the 1941 plans.  Because all of my research went with the sale of the business, I no longer have access to the material.   Perhaps the current owner, Andrew Dahm, can be persuaded to share the info. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Tony Thompson

James SANDIFER wrote:

Send to an archive like the one in Temple that will care for it and share it.

     Excellent statement. There are archives that you might not be sure will retain a gift and take care of it (or may not even have a long life), and there are archives where materials are not very accessible. Ideally, find out about both aspects before choosing a destination for donations.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Norm Buckhart

Tony’s right - even with a responsive museum to the hobby, until someone, usually a volunteer, takes the time to inventory and catalog them and then enter them in a computer system - which could be years - all these items are lost to the hobby.  Good luck getting anything from the UPHS!  The Newberry in Chicago has a vast collection of drawings, correspondence and even some photos - like 50,000 pieces - and they are very nice to talk to - BUT about 80% of their received material are in boxes uncataloged and hence unobtainable and have been sitting there for years.  If anyone has any volunteer time on their hands - they could go to the Newberry and help do some entry work

My interest is to produce decals in O and HO for the hobby in general.  I have no interest in retaining the Heinz material once scanned here.  Craig Ordner at the Temple Railroad Museum in Texas is one of the conscientious and very helpful curators out there and I would recommend any worthwhile donations go there.  The fairly new curator at the California State Railway Museum, Chris Rockwell is also a very responsive person and very helpful.  But again any submissions will need to get in line to be cataloged and entered - and that is a very big operation

those are my thoughts

norm buckhart

On Aug 3, 2018, at 9:47 AM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

James SANDIFER wrote:

Send to an archive like the one in Temple that will care for it and share it.

     Excellent statement. There are archives that you might not be sure will retain a gift and take care of it (or may not even have a long life), and there are archives where materials are not very accessible. Ideally, find out about both aspects before choosing a destination for donations.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve SANDIFER

Yes. The Springer Archive at Temple Texas Railroad & Heritage Museum is endowed by Fred Springer with the idea that they don’t charge for services. Compare that with some museums that want $50 to scan a photo and up to $150 to use it in a book. Temple also has a team of volunteers who are ex railroad men and a full time archivist. It houses much of the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society archive as well as many other collections.

J. Stephen Sandifer