Topics

K brake drawings for hopper cars

ron christensen

There are pictures of hoppers with K brakes on the web and a couple of drawings that indicate copyright, but I have not found any that can be used for a clinic on brakes.
Any help would be appreciated
Ron Christensen

James Brewer

Ron,

From the N&WHS Archives:

Hope this helps.

Jim Brewer

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:28 AM, ron christensen via Groups.Io <rxensen@...> wrote:
There are pictures of hoppers with K brakes on the web and a couple of drawings that indicate copyright, but I have not found any that can be used for a clinic on brakes.
Any help would be appreciated
Ron Christensen

Eric Hansmann

Not all K brake installations were the same. I’ve seen photos with the K brake cylinder pointed out towards the end sill and the opposite, with the cylinder pointing towards the slope sheet.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Aug 3, 2018, at 12:10 PM, James Brewer <jim.brewer.3611@...> wrote:

Ron,

From the N&WHS Archives:

Hope this helps.

Jim Brewer

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:28 AM, ron christensen via Groups.Io <rxensen@...> wrote:
There are pictures of hoppers with K brakes on the web and a couple of drawings that indicate copyright, but I have not found any that can be used for a clinic on brakes.
Any help would be appreciated
Ron Christensen

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 09:20 AM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
Not all K brake installations were the same. I’ve seen photos with the K brake cylinder pointed out towards the end sill and the opposite, with the cylinder pointing towards the slope sheet.
The USRA twin hoppers were built with KD brake equipment arranged like this. No brake diagram in the 1922 CBC, but there might be something in the 1919, which would be in the public domain.

Dennis Storzek