Topics

Accurail gondola

Aaron Heaney

Guys I went through the process of detailing an Accurail DL&W gondola before I realized that it wasn't correct. Can anyone direct me to correct decals for it? I model PRR in the Harrisburg PA area circa 1952. I would prefer a black scheme just so I have less work.

Aaron Heaney

Benjamin Hom

Aaron Heaney asked:
"Guys I went through the process of detailing an Accurail DL&W gondola before I realized that it wasn't correct. Can anyone direct me to correct decals for it? I model PRR in the Harrisburg PA area circa 1952. I would prefer a black scheme just so I have less work."

Here are some possibilities:

Additionally, Tichy does a set for W&LE, but it's of the cars as built in 1921.

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

W&LE cars had plate ends and were gone by the late 1930's I am pretty sure. I planned to build using detail Assoc.'s ends until I realized they were gone in my 1955 year.

Bill Welch

Eric Hansmann

Those Wheeling cars built in 1921 had different ends than the Accurail kit. The floor also needs to be modified to a wood representation. The cars originally ran with KD brake systems. I’m not certain when (or if) they received AB brake systems. Here’s a look at modifications to an Accurail model for a W&LE gondola.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2015/11/06/model-progress/

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

"Guys I went through the process of detailing an Accurail DL&W gondola before I realized that it wasn't correct. Can anyone direct me to correct decals for it? I model PRR in the Harrisburg PA area circa 1952. I would prefer a black scheme just so I have less work."

Here are some possibilities:

Additionally, Tichy does a set for W&LE, but it's of the cars as built in 1921.

Ben Hom

O Fenton Wells

Eric, I believe John Golden did the Accurail-ACL gon in the ACL/SAL Ezine. I’ll see if I can find it
Fenton
Sent from my i

On Aug 14, 2018, at 10:00 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Bill Welch and Martin Loftin compiled a list of prototypes and close cars to the Accurail gon. At some point this was posted on the STMFC web site, and I printed copy, but there is no file number or URL on my copy. Bill, do you know where the archived copy lives?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 8/14/18 9:19 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Aaron Heaney asked:
"Guys I went through the process of detailing an Accurail DL&W gondola before I realized that it wasn't correct. Can anyone direct me to correct decals for it? I model PRR in the Harrisburg PA area circa 1952. I would prefer a black scheme just so I have less work."

Here are some possibilities:

Additionally, Tichy does a set for W&LE, but it's of the cars as built in 1921.

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

I do not remember doing such a list, sorry Garth. The Accurail gon is a good representation of the AAR gon. Here is my Georgia version under construction substituting Detail Associates Improved Dreadnaught ends. Also two photos in Primmer. I will post finished photos as soon as I find them.

Bill Welch

al_brown03

There's a spreadsheet in the Files section entitled "Accurail 41' gon".

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bill Welch

To clarify this is a spreadsheet denoting what RR's are good for the Accurail AAR gon and those that are not.

Bill Welch

All,

The file with the list of prototypes is called:

Accurail 41' gon.xls

If you go into the "files" section by hitting the tab on the left margin and  put this term into the search window at the top of the page it will come up.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Mike Bradley

I have a soft cover book entitled Freight Train Cars (Enthusiast Color Series) by Mike Schafer and Mike McBride that shows an image of a black P&WV 9 panel gondola # 7770 taken at Toledo, OH in January of 1962.  It appears to be a dead ringer for the Accurail #3700 AAR 41' (9 panel) steel gondola.

Wondering where I might find the P&WV white lettering with the circular logo?  BTW, the corner steps on the P&WV car appear to be bottom mounted to the side as opposed to the side mounted steps on Bill's Georgia RR version.

Regards,
Mike Bradley
Sharpsville, PA

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 11:55:57 AM EDT, al_brown03 <abrown@...> wrote:

There's a spreadsheet in the Files section entitled "Accurail 41' gon".

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Eric Hansmann

I bought a Champ set back in 1975 that had this P&WV emblem. It was a hopper set and was used on an Athearn twin back then.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Aug 14, 2018, at 11:56 AM, Mike Bradley via Groups.Io <dr56rs3@...> wrote:

I have a soft cover book entitled Freight Train Cars (Enthusiast Color Series) by Mike Schafer and Mike McBride that shows an image of a black P&WV 9 panel gondola # 7770 taken at Toledo, OH in January of 1962.  It appears to be a dead ringer for the Accurail #3700 AAR 41' (9 panel) steel gondola.

Wondering where I might find the P&WV white lettering with the circular logo?  BTW, the corner steps on the P&WV car appear to be bottom mounted to the side as opposed to the side mounted steps on Bill's Georgia RR version.

Regards,
Mike Bradley
Sharpsville, PA

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 11:55:57 AM EDT, al_brown03 <abrown@...> wrote:

There's a spreadsheet in the Files section entitled "Accurail 41' gon".

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Eric Hansmann

Here's a builder image of the P&WV gondola built in December 1948.

https://thepwvhiline.com/GonCrazy/PWVGon7684_1Web.html

Here are several other P&WV gondolas and a nice shot of the emblem.

https://thepwvhiline.com/GonCrazy/index.html

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On August 14, 2018 at 10:56 AM "Mike Bradley via Groups.Io" <dr56rs3@...> wrote:

I have a soft cover book entitled Freight Train Cars (Enthusiast Color Series) by Mike Schafer and Mike McBride that shows an image of a black P&WV 9 panel gondola # 7770 taken at Toledo, OH in January of 1962.  It appears to be a dead ringer for the Accurail #3700 AAR 41' (9 panel) steel gondola.

Wondering where I might find the P&WV white lettering with the circular logo?  BTW, the corner steps on the P&WV car appear to be bottom mounted to the side as opposed to the side mounted steps on Bill's Georgia RR version.

Regards,
Mike Bradley
Sharpsville, PA

Matt Smith

Mike,

You can get an Accurail version with the logo you are referencing. Here is the link.
http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/3700/3703_2.jpg
--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Charles Tapper

The P&WV cars had Improved Deadnaught ends as did cars from the W&LE’s 1946 and 1948 orders of essentially the same cars. But I believe the 1945 cars 4500-45499 can be modeled using the Accurail cars as-is.  The Sunshine flyer was on the www.sunshinekits.com website last I checked. I have the Sunshine kit for the P&WV car. It has Dreadnaught ends,however.  There is a tab for flyers by railroad.

Charlie Tapper