Accurail gondola - W&LE notes

Eric Hansmann

The Wheeling installed 2000 of these gondolas in 1921.

R6000-R6099 – 100 cars

52000-53899 – 1900 cars

The January 1943 ORER lists almost 75% of the original car installation in service.

R6000-R6099 – 66 cars

52000-53899 – 1428 cars

Before anyone raises the question, I do not know the details behind the R prefix on the R6000-R6099 car series. It’s a mystery to many Wheeling fans. I suspect these cars may have been in a dedicated mill service but do not know. A prototype image of a car in this number series has not surfaced.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN