Topics

Riding the Rods

Bill Welch

Just in case there are any 1/87th people living Rough in the vicinity, I thought I would make it easier for them to "Ride the Rods" by putting a 2 x 6 through the Custom Finishing freight turnbuckles on my almost finished F&C Rutland stock car. At some point in the near future I will report on detailing this model on the "Speedwitch Modeling Blog." Secondarily the board helps keep the turnbuckles from turning and loosening.

Bill Welch

Dave Parker

Bill:

That's a nice touch.  I do hope you are planing to perch a reclining hobo on that 2x6.

It looks a little precarious to me.  According to one photo quickly found on Wiki, travelers sometimes brought their own (wider) planks.

As a depression-era modeler, I have been contemplating the possibility of placing some transients in or on my freight cars.  Lacking much in the way of truss-rod cars, or any box-cars with open doors, I think they will have to go the roofs.  I recently watched the excellent "Riding the Rails" documentary film.  There were some inspiring shots of roof-top riders, often several to a car.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

Hi Again Bill:

Now that you are the complete man on the oil business I am continuing to rebuild/restore tha DA gondola.  I appreciate even more  your comment on the fragility of the car.  I now have a pretty
good looking end but have to replace steps and two lower side braces.

Great job on the stock car.  I particularly like the bracing of the turnbuckles.  Forst te I have seen this.

I am also wotking on clearimg up clutter.  I have two Amarillo Rail Museum ART refers.
I bought them for the brake wheels that were needed for an SP steel auto uar.  I also have a Rapido meat refer that I bought for the trucks.  Yours if you want them.

Bill

Just in case there are any 1/87th people living Rough in the vicinity, I thought I would make it easier for them to "Ride the Rods" by putting a 2 x 6 through the Custom Finishing freight turnbuckles on my almost finished F&C Rutland stock car. At some point in the near future I will report on detailing this model on the "Speedwitch Modeling Blog." Secondarily the board helps keep the turnbuckles from turning and loosening.

Bill Welch

Richard Townsend

I have seen a photo of a man riding in a reefer, with half his body sticking out of an open roof hatch. Presumably the bunker grate was in place for stage icing. That might be entertaining to model.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

That's a nice touch.  I do hope you are planing to perch a reclining hobo on that 2x6.

It looks a little precarious to me.  According to one photo quickly found on Wiki, travelers sometimes brought their own (wider) planks.

As a depression-era modeler, I have been contemplating the possibility of placing some transients in or on my freight cars.  Lacking much in the way of truss-rod cars, or any box-cars with open doors, I think they will have to go the roofs.  I recently watched the excellent "Riding the Rails" documentary film.  There were some inspiring shots of roof-top riders, often several to a car.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

gary laakso

Bill, nothing beats a truss rod stock car!  It really looks good, even without paint.  I acquired a couple of these kits to modify for use as Great Northern stock cars until Speedwitch released their fine model.

Gary “truss rod” Laakso

Just in case there are any 1/87th people living Rough in the vicinity, I thought I would make it easier for them to "Ride the Rods" by putting a 2 x 6 through the Custom Finishing freight turnbuckles on my almost finished F&C Rutland stock car. At some point in the near future I will report on detailing this model on the "Speedwitch Modeling Blog." Secondarily the board helps keep the turnbuckles from turning and loosening.

Bill Welch

Gary Patrik

I was wondering if a ‘bo would select a ride under a stock car.

--
Best regards,
Gary Patrik

Robert kirkham

Love seeing the 10 x 12 engraved on the K brake . . . had no idea it was there until your cool modelling photos Bill.  What a nice car!

Rob

Just in case there are any 1/87th people living Rough in the vicinity, I thought I would make it easier for them to "Ride the Rods" by putting a 2 x 6 through the Custom Finishing freight turnbuckles on my almost finished F&C Rutland stock car. At some point in the near future I will report on detailing this model on the "Speedwitch Modeling Blog." Secondarily the board helps keep the turnbuckles from turning and loosening.

Bill Welch

Gary Patrik

Beautiful modeling - looks like O-scale.