From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of anthony wagner
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:43 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] fabulous freight cars

Eldon, C&NW called them trap cars and they were used to transfer LCL shipments from the downtown Chicago freight houses to the huge Proviso freight house where they could be consolidated with other shipments going to the same destinations. Sears, Montgomery Ward and Spiegel plus others had catalog sales warehouses in Chicago and the shipment of myriad small orders must have been a huge logistical problem thus the need for consolidation whenever practical. The cars themselves were in their final service before retirement and I'd guess that they were probably unfit for interchange. They X simply meant they were "trapped" in this service. There were still 4 cars listed as Box, Trap in the 1-1-50 ORER but there had probably been many more in earlier years. Tony Wagner

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:53 PM, "Gatwood, Elden J SAD" <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Blockedhttp://images.google.com/hosted/life/0117dc643514cf78.html

...and I know I have been told, but what did the big "X" mean, again?

Elden Gatwood