D8 Bulldozer as a Flat Car Load

Bill Welch

Can anyone give personal experience building the GHQ D8 Bulldozer? I am thinking of it as a flat car load. Curious if it builds into a nicely detailed model: https://www.ebay.com/i/192326959275?chn=ps

Thank you,
Bill Welch

Mitchell Mercante

Bill,

It does build up very nicely.  Mine sits on an L&N flatcar headed toward its next assignment.  I did spend a bit of time figuring out all the cabling that's only hinted at in the instructions.  Be advised though that it is really heavy so I hook mine up right behind the loco.  I'll send you a photo off group.

Mitch Mercante

On Thursday, September 13, 2018, 5:23:02 PM CDT, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Can anyone give personal experience building the GHQ D8 Bulldozer? I am thinking of it as a flat car load. Curious if it builds into a nicely detailed model: https://www.ebay.com/i/192326959275?chn=ps

Thank you,
Bill Welch

Daniel A. Mitchell

Yes, it’s a fine little HO model ... there are two versions, with and without the blade. It’s the best D8 available in HO. Also consider the excellent D7 from Artitech, also in two versions (w/blade, & as a new tractor being delivered).

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Can anyone give personal experience building the GHQ D8 Bulldozer? I am thinking of it as a flat car load. Curious if it builds into a nicely detailed model: https://www.ebay.com/i/192326959275?chn=ps

Thank you,
Bill Welch

Daniel A. Mitchell

The only other possibilities are the old Canon RD8, not bad, but the tracks are undersized. The Woodland Scenics Cat is styled as a D8, but is about the size of a D6. First Gear offers an IH TD-25 which is decent. The best of the lot are some from Overland Models (“stretch” D8’s) and Classic Construction Models (modern D9 & D11), but these get very expensive. CCM’s D11 is about $400!

Daniel Mitchell
===========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 7:34 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

Yes, it’s a fine little HO model ... there are two versions, with and without the blade. It’s the best D8 available in HO. Also consider the excellent D7 from Artitech, also in two versions (w/blade, & as a new tractor being delivered).

Dan Mitchell
==========
On Sep 13, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Can anyone give personal experience building the GHQ D8 Bulldozer? I am thinking of it as a flat car load. Curious if it builds into a nicely detailed model: https://www.ebay.com/i/192326959275?chn=ps

Thank you,
Bill Welch

Jeff

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@tir.com> wrote:

The only other possibilities are the old Canon RD8, not bad, but the tracks are undersized. The Woodland Scenics Cat is styled as a D8, but is about the size of a D6. First Gear offers an IH TD-25 which is decent. The best of the lot are some from Overland Models (“stretch” D8’s) and Classic Construction Models (modern D9 & D11), but these get very expensive. CCM’s D11 is about $400!
For $400 that thing ought to excavate my front yard for landscaping as
well as look good on a flatcar.

--
Jeff Shultz
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 9/13/2018 4:34 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Also consider the excellent D7 from Artitech, also in two versions (w/blade, & as a new tractor being delivered).

Also see if the Woodland Scenics Bulldozer Cat D-7 Tractor Kit HO D233 is still available!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bruce Smith

Daniel, Bill,

One other alternative is the Wespe resin kit 87070, US Dozer "Le Tourneau" which is claimed in the instructions to be a "1936Cat RD-4 equipped with an R.G. LeTourneau XC4 Angledozer  blade attachment. The blade has overhead rigging like the GHQ.

Being resin, the Wespe weighs slightly more than the air it displaces, compared to the GHQ. I have yet to build it.  I have 2 GHQ D8s that I have yet to build as well, but the parts on all are nicely detailed. I look forward to building them and shipping a couple of new US Army (or maybe Navy SeaBee?) dozers and then one that has seen some heavy work.

 Rio Grande Models have a BEST Model 60 with blade and a CAT RD-8​. They also​ have some different cast metal construction loads.  I have a few of those!  http://www.riograndemodels.com/HO.htm

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

[...]

Paul Koehler

Bill:

Yes I have built several of them (great model).  They are installed on my club’s layout; my memory tells me that they were over width for a load.  With blade attached it would require an over width permit.

Paul C. Koehler

From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Date: 9/13/18 4:15 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have to admit with so many things to build the fact that the Artitech D7 is ready to put on a flat car deck is very appealing.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 05:29 PM, Paul Koehler wrote:
They are installed on my club’s layout; my memory tells me that they were over width for a load.
One thing to keep in mind is during this era, Caterpillar built the tractor, but the various blades were after market parts, likely installed at the distributor that sold the machine. So, if these are supposed to be a shipment of new machines, rather than company MOW equipment, they would be shipped without blades and all that overhead cable rigging.

Dennis Storzek

Richard Townsend

Don't overlook the Rio Grande Models RD-8, Letourneau dozer, and their trencher, among other wonderful construction equipment models.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

The CCM D11 is a beautiful model, all brass construction, with working scale link tracks. You’d have to partially disassemble it to make a flat car load, it’s a BIG tractor. However, for $400, I doubt many will end up as flat car loads! The CCM D9 is a "solid” brass model with cast-on tracks … but still it looks good, and is a lot less expensive (but still not cheap).

I also forgot the Kibri Komatsu 575 (about $60 as a plastic kit). This is a model of the world’s largest production dozer, a real monster, and strictly a modern machine. Some of these are in use in the USA. The prototype production of the Komatsu 575 has ceased, so the Cat D11 is now the largest dozer being made.

There was a one-off dozer by ACCO that was even larger than the Komatsu 575, but it’s never actually been used, and is just an oddity.

There are also a few European dozer models available.

Dredging deeper, Norscott (Diecast Masters) also has a modern D9, but it’s rubber-band tracks look poor, and it can’t be compared to the others mentioned previously. The body could be salvaged it you could somehow make better tracks.

And going WAY back, Roco (MiniMovers) had a plastic ‘earlier’ style D9 that wasn’t too bad. A little added detail and a good paint job and it doesn’t make a bad load. Then there were the old Matchbox tractor models wih rubber-band tracks.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 8:02 PM, Jeff <jeffshultz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@tir.com> wrote:

The only other possibilities are the old Canon RD8, not bad, but the tracks are undersized. The Woodland Scenics Cat is styled as a D8, but is about the size of a D6. First Gear offers an IH TD-25 which is decent. The best of the lot are some from Overland Models (“stretch” D8’s) and Classic Construction Models (modern D9 & D11), but these get very expensive. CCM’s D11 is about $400!
For $400 that thing ought to excavate my front yard for landscaping as
well as look good on a flatcar.

--
Jeff Shultz
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com

Daniel A. Mitchell

Yes, but it’s NOT a D7 ... the styling makes it strictly a D8, but it’s way undersized. The D7 looks altogether different than a D8 of the period. Artitech makes a very nice HO D7, and it’s quite a bit larger than the Woodland Scenics dozer. The WS model is about the size of a D6 or even a D5. I have a couple that I pretend are D6’s in logging use … fortunately the styling here is similar.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 8:07 PM, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 9/13/2018 4:34 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Also consider the excellent D7 from Artitech, also in two versions (w/blade, & as a new tractor being delivered).

Also see if the Woodland Scenics Bulldozer Cat D-7 Tractor Kit HO D233 is still available!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Daniel A. Mitchell

I didn’t mention the Wespe D7 kits (1/48 and 1/87) since they’re not genberally available from model RR suppliers. I have each, and they do look good as kits, but I’ve not built either yet.

The RGM RD8 appears to be the old Canon kit. The body is nice, but the tracks look poor and undersized.

I did forget the RGM Cat-60, a very early tractor but a nice model. These old warhorses lasted a LONG time, so are suitable for most any period except dead-modern. They built a lot of them, and they’re very popular restoration projects. Many often show up at antique tractor meets.

And, if you want to go back even earlier, somebody (RGM?) also makes a Holt half-track tractor, and a steam crawler tractor.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 8:16 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Already partly disassembled and crated for shipment ... a ready made flatcar load, and very nicely done.

The D7 is small enough that an assembled tractor can also be shipped, depending on the blade width. Artitech also make such with a LeTourneau blade and rear winches … just add tie-downs and blocking.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 10:15 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have to admit with so many things to build the fact that the Artitech D7 is ready to put on a flat car deck is very appealing.

Bill Welch

Daniel A. Mitchell

I “think” this is/was the old Canon kit, which may have ended up with RGM. The few photos i’ve seen all exhibit the same qualities and problems. The body was quite nice, but the tracks were very poor, and undersized. perhaps RGM has corrected this?

The “RD” denoted a tractor equipped with a gasoline engine, as opposed to the "D” tractors that were strictly Diesel. The RD8 is otherwise the same tractor as the early D8.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 11:09 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

One model that has not been mentioned  is a very good Carerpillar RD-8 from a company called Evergreen Hill Designs.  This is a white metal kit.  The company is long gone (as are so many) but they come up on E-bay.  Good thing I bought two as the wheel/track casting was defective on one (Sound familiar?).  There is not a blade on this model so it fits great on a flat car

Bill Pardie

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have to admit with so many things to build the fact that the Artitech D7 is ready to put on a flat car deck is very appealing.

Bill Welch

Daniel A. Mitchell

Mostly correct. Various tractos could have blade made by many diffeent maufacurers. The design of the blade often was determined by the way the tractor was outfitted … mostly either front or rear mounted winches. And, while hydraulics were around, very few tractors used them until well after WWII (early rubber hsoes and seals were very poor and troublesome).

Many/most such early tractors had rear-mounted winches that were suitable for operating towed scrapers. Thus, to use this configuration with a front blade, some method to route the cable forward was needed, This could be in a side-mounted tube, or an overhead gantry. The very popular LeTourneau blades used such an overhead structure. These are modeled by both GHQ and Artitech. Both are suitable for any period from WWII to the 1970’s … they lasted a long time.

Once proper flexible parts became available (1960’s) hydraulics almost totally took over from cable-control motions. Still, the old machines continued in use for many years.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 13, 2018, at 11:56 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 05:29 PM, Paul Koehler wrote:
They are installed on my club’s layout; my memory tells me that they were over width for a load.
One thing to keep in mind is during this era, Caterpillar built the tractor, but the various blades were after market parts, likely installed at the distributor that sold the machine. So, if these are supposed to be a shipment of new machines, rather than company MOW equipment, they would be shipped without blades and all that overhead cable rigging.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

Some early images HERE

One thing not mentioned, is other than military equipment, very little construction machinery moved by rail other than brand new, which means that what you load on your cars is very era dependent. While models of those thirties era machines make neat scenery, there is very little justification to have them as flatcar loads on a fifties era layout.

Any thoughts if any dozers were equipped with the after market blades at the Cat factory? My gut feeling is the tractors came naked, and after market accessories like blades and rippers were added by the purchaser.

Just an aside, I have memories of when the Chicago expressways were excavated during the fifties, and recall cable rigged dozer blades with the block mounted on the top of the nose over the radiator, but never saw one with a full overhead frame.

Dennis Storzek

WILLIAM PARDIE

Does anyone have any photos or diagrams of the blockage and cable restraints for a bll dozer load?

Bill Pardie