NYRB Ventilated cars mysteries

Peter Ness

This isn’t terribly important, but it is a mystery to me, anyway;

While gathering information on ERDX 10000-10099 and ERDX 110000-11049 (or 11000-11099 depending where you look…) cars between the Canadian Southern website (wonderful site!) and my January 1959 ORER, I stumbled across NYRB 2500-2599 in the ORER that is not listed on the CS website.

Curiously (to me) there was also a listing of NYRX 2500-2599 both in the ORER and on the website. Now, the mystery (to me) is because both NYRX 2500-2599 and NYRB 2500-2599 have the same dimensions as the ERDX 11000-11099 cars; in the ORER the ERDX and NYRB cars are both listed as Ventilated, while the NYRX cars are listed as Refrigerated.

So, one mystery (to me) is if the NYRB cars were ever built?

Another mystery; if there were only 50 ERDX 110000-11099 cars rebuilt from Lot 734-B box cars in 1958, and 50 NYRX 2500-2599 cars were also built from  Lot 734-B box cars, from what were the NYRB cars built (since they have the same dimensions)?

A couple of questions: Does anyone know what trucks were applied to the ERDX 10000-10099 cars built in 1953 and the ERDX 11000-11049 cars built in 1958?

How were cars without roof hatches ventilated? I have not seen any photos of the NYRX cars, but in 1958 I’m assuming they were mechanical refrigerators without hatches….

For information, all of this was driven because I have a couple of ERDX cars made by 5th Avenue Shops (IIRC) sometime in the last millennium.  I sort of put these cars aside a while back because someone told me; “Yes, they are nice cars but the prototypes were 50’ cars”…and I never checked until now.  So there may be problems with roof, ends, sides, brake gear and trucks, but knowing the length is close to correct is a start down the path of redemption for the cars.

Thanks for any and all help on the NYRX and NYRB questions, and truck info for the ERDX cars.

Peter Ness

Seth Lakin

Peter, the NYRB 2500-2599 are the same cars as the NYRX 2500-2599 cars. If you look closely at this photos of the NYRX cars, you can see the the B was repainted or stickered as a X.

Both the ERDX 11000-11049 and NYRB 2500-2599 were converted from NYC lot 743-B boxcars. Under MDT-NRL specification 244. These were converted by DSI under construction lot 936 (different from NYC Lot 936).

The ERDX cars were for Eastern States Farmers while the NYRB cars were for NYC general service.

All were insulated cars, no ice bunkers, no mechanical refrigeration.

There is a small almost inspection sliding door on the B end between ribs just to the right of the centerline between the brake step and brake wheel. I don’t know if this qualifies for ventilation or not, as it’s not on the A end of the car.

There are drawings of these cars in the files of the NYCSHS. I don’t have them saved to my ERDX-NYRB file. I will have to go look for them.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN
NYCSHS Modelers Committee

Tim O'Connor

 > I have not seen any photos of the NYRX cars, but in 1958 I'm assuming they were
 > mechanical refrigerators without hatches
 > Peter Ness

   Seth Lakin replied -
     NYRB 2500-2599 are the same cars as the NYRX 2500-2599 cars. Both the ERDX 11000-11049
     and NYRB 2500-2599 were converted from NYC lot 743-B boxcars. Under MDT-NRL specification 244.
     These were converted by DSI under construction lot 936 (different from NYC Lot 936).

-----------------

If Seth is correct that NYRX 2528 was from lot 743-B (DSI 1945) then they must have replaced
the ENDS too, because this car (photo attached) has 5-5 Dreadnaught ends, while the 743-B box cars
all had postwar dreadnaught ends with a 4/4 rib pattern. I've always assumed these NYRX "Early
Bird" box cars were rebuilt from 1940 AAR design box cars - 734-B or 735-B.

These NYRX 2500-2599 cars were the only other NYC freight cars to receive the Early Bird logo.
Champ produced decal sets for these cars (HR-57 and later SHS-257) but Greg Komar produced a much
improved set, KOMAR #83.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Seth Lakin

My mistake Tim, I guess it was fat fingers on a small iPhone keypad. The ERDX11000-11049 and NRRB/NYRX 2500-2599 cars were rebuilt from lot 734-B boxes not the 743-B that I had posted earlier.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

Peter Ness

Tim, Seth,

Thanks very much for the information. My source on info for the NYRX and EDRX rebuilds from Lot 734B is the database on the Canadian Southern website.

Looking at the photo of NYC 179000 on the website in comparison with NYRX 2528, I guess I’m thinking that since the side sills are different and the 8’W sliding plug door was slapped on the side, I guess I can think the ends, and perhaps running boards were changes, too, maybe?  After all, if these were insulated cars, they had to take something apart to make the construction insulated?

Nothing like a good mystery!

Attached is a snippet from the January 1959 ORER showing both NYRB and NYRX cars and the drawing from the Canadian Southern website for both ERDX 110000-series and NYRX2500-series.

Peter Ness

 > I have not seen any photos of the NYRX cars, but in 1958 I'm assuming they were
 > mechanical refrigerators without hatches
 > Peter Ness

   Seth Lakin replied -
     NYRB 2500-2599 are the same cars as the NYRX 2500-2599 cars. Both the ERDX 11000-11049
     and NYRB 2500-2599 were converted from NYC lot 743-B boxcars. Under MDT-NRL specification 244.
     These were converted by DSI under construction lot 936 (different from NYC Lot 936).

-----------------

If Seth is correct that NYRX 2528 was from lot 743-B (DSI 1945) then they must have replaced
the ENDS too, because this car (photo attached) has 5-5 Dreadnaught ends, while the 743-B box cars
all had postwar dreadnaught ends with a 4/4 rib pattern. I've always assumed these NYRX "Early
Bird" box cars were rebuilt from 1940 AAR design box cars - 734-B or 735-B.

These NYRX 2500-2599 cars were the only other NYC freight cars to receive the Early Bird logo.
Champ produced decal sets for these cars (HR-57 and later SHS-257) but Greg Komar produced a much
improved set, KOMAR #83.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

??

Peter, I don't know what that web site says, but NYC 179000 was an 832-B not a 734-B.

Did you mean to type 159000? That was the original series for lot 734-B.

The "snippet" you included shows that NYRX is the more recent change to the ORER. I'm
guessing those NYRB reporting marks didn't last long - I have never seen a photo of a
car with NYRB reporting marks, while I have a dozen photos of NYRX cars.

In any case the NYRX rebuilds of 734-B cars retained the RP flush roofs and 5/5 ends,
while receiving wider 8 foot door openings (actual plug door width wider, maybe 8'3")
and a reinforced side sill. These rebuilds lasted into the 1970's.

Tim O'Connor

============================

Thanks very much for the information. My source on info for the NYRX and EDRX rebuilds from Lot 734B is the database on the Canadian Southern website.

Looking at the photo of NYC 179000 on the website in comparison with NYRX 2528, I guess Im thinking that since the side sills are different and the 8W sliding plug door was slapped on the side, I guess I can think the ends, and perhaps running boards were changes, too, maybe?  After all, if these were insulated cars, they had to take something apart to make the construction insulated?

Nothing like a good mystery!

Attached is a snippet from the January 1959 ORER showing both NYRB and NYRX cars and the drawing from the Canadian Southern website for both ERDX 110000-series and NYRX2500-series.

Peter Ness

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

I forgot to include this photo of a 734-B. It has been repainted, and with door gussets,
but otherwise as built.

Tim

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Seth probably has the same data I have in my NYC freight car directories.  The ERDX and the NYRX/NYRB cars were converted from box cars in Lot 734-B(NYC 159000-159999) in 1958 by Despatch Shops, Inc., on DSI Lot 936.  Cars had 5/5 ends, 8' sliding plug doors and 3323 cu.ft.  They were all designated "RB".  The oldest cars in the Spec. 936 series were IHB 10600-10999(NYC Lot 730-B).  The other cars, all NYC: 735-B 161000-161999; 743-B 162000-163999; 759-B 164000-164999; 763-B 165000-165999; 764-B 166000-166999.  Beginning with Lot 743-B 4//4 early improved Dreadnaught ends were applied.  Cars had 10-panel sides, Gypsum running boards, Murphy panel roofs, sides and ends painted red, roof painted black.

Peter Ness

Tim,

Fat fingering is contagious!  Correct, that would be NYC 159000 L

Peter Ness

[...]

Thanks for the photo. Came across this on photobucket
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/dti406/media/bWVkaWFJZDo3ODIyMzk2Nw==/?r
ef= and described on the Atlas Forum as a Branchline 40' Kit with 8' Door,
substituted an 8' Front Range Door from the scrap box. Painted with
Scalecoat II Reefer Yellow and Boxcar Red, and lettered with Greg Komar
Decals

Read more:
http://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/thread/1644/sunday-photo-september-201
3-fall#ixzz5RKNdDuLY (scroll down)

Peter Ness

I forgot to include this photo of a 734-B. It has been repainted, and with
door gussets, but otherwise as built.

Tim

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Peter Ness

Thanks for the additional information, Hugh.

Peter Ness