1942 Airplane load in boxcar

Andy Laurent

Gents,
Attached picture was posted by Edwards Air Force Base on their Instagram account today. It shows the prototype XP-59 jet being unloaded from an auto boxcar in September 1942.

Andy
Iowa

Daniel A. Mitchell

Nice find! Our first jet fighter, though it never went into production. The truck-tractor looks like a White 4-ton COE with an open cab (canvas top).

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Sep 16, 2018, at 4:58 PM, Andy Laurent via Groups.Io <andy.laurent@...> wrote:

Gents,
Attached picture was posted by Edwards Air Force Base on their Instagram account today. It shows the prototype XP-59 jet being unloaded from an auto boxcar in September 1942.

Andy
Iowa <edwardsairforcebase_20180916155403.png>

Jim Ogden

Gotta love the fake propeller to confuse the enemy. It does look like a Bell p-39!

Jim Ogden
Fort Worth, Texas

I believe the XP-59 was built by Bell Aircraft in Buffalo NY.  More than likely the airplane left Buffalo on the NYC which switched the Bell plant on Elmwood Avenue.  NYC had boxcars with end doors.

Bruce Smith

​Andy,

Great photos!  As I posted back in 2008 ;) the car is an L&N car.  There is video of this operation as well as stills.  Note too the added propellor in some photos to disguise that this is a jet.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL