Flat Car Chains, Was: Poultry Car Tarps

Rod Miller

On 9/25/18 11:25 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
In the background to the left in this photo is a poultry car with a tarp pulled up over the car roof:
_http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-09-14-18/X5144.jpg_
I assume the tarp was used to protect the birds from bad weather.
My questions are:
Who would have been responsible for deploying the tarp, the shipper's rider (if there was one) or the railroad?
Was their a tariff for using the tarp?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
The chain and hook, apparently on both sides of the coupler,
on the flat car caught my eye. I speculate the car was used
in some sort of logging service where the chains would have
prevented a train break because of uncoupling on rough track.
Or were chains with hooks commonly used in some locations?

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman
| http://www.oscalewest.com

Eric Hansmann

On September 26, 2018 at 4:22 PM Rod Miller <rod@...> wrote:

The chain and hook, apparently on both sides of the coupler,
on the flat car caught my eye. I speculate the car was used
in some sort of logging service where the chains would have
prevented a train break because of uncoupling on rough track.
Or were chains with hooks commonly used in some locations?

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman

These end sill chains and hooks are common on some early 20th century flat cars and gondolas with drop ends. Long loads would extend over a car end to another car. These chains and hooks would keep the paired cars together in case of accidental uncoupling.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 04:22 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
Long loads would extend over a car end to another car. These chains and hooks would keep the paired cars together in case of accidental uncoupling.
It was a MCB/ARA/AAR requirement to the end of the era of this list that where a load spanned two or more cars, the cars be chained together with safety chains, for just the reason Eric stated.

Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson

Long loads would extend over a car end to another car. These chains and hooks would keep the paired cars together in case of accidental uncoupling.

    You mean like when a train passes over a magnetic ramp?  <vbg>

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history