Coupler lift bars.

Brian Carlson

Over the last 20 years I’ve used hundreds of Details Associates part 6215 Coupler Lift Bar - Standard Freight Car.

With no local hobby shop anymore I spend a lot of time at shows searching for various detail parts. Today I found and purchased more packs of the above part. I was saddened to see the quantity of the newest packages were one pair (1 car) for $6.95 cdn.

I don’t mind bending my own but these guys have several bends I’ve never been able to bend well. Does anyone know of other sources for similar parts. I’ve looked at the Tangent website and I see the ones for their covered hoppers wounding if they would work on other car types.

Brian J. Carlson

Nelson Moyer

Yes, they have incrementally reduced the number of pairs per package and while increasing the price until I refuse to purchase them. If we all stop using them, maybe they will get the message.

Nelson Moyer

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Carlson via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:41 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Coupler lift bars.

Over the last 20 years I’ve used hundreds of Details Associates part 6215 Coupler Lift Bar - Standard Freight Car.

With no local hobby shop anymore I spend a lot of time at shows searching for various detail parts. Today I found and purchased more packs of the above part. I was saddened to see the quantity of the newest packages were one pair (1 car) for $6.95 cdn.

I don’t mind bending my own but these guys have several bends I’ve never been able to bend well. Does anyone know of other sources for similar parts. I’ve looked at the Tangent website and I see the ones for their covered hoppers wounding if they would work on other car types.

Brian J. Carlson

Pierre Oliver

Don Tichy is working , slowly, on a replacement.

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

On 9/29/18 10:40 PM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io wrote:

Brian J. Carlson

Tim O'Connor

I still have a number of unused packages of the DA parts but I have not used any
in many years - I make my own with wire and pliers, and it's MUCH cheaper, and they
look just fine.

But I'd be happy to sell them at the market rate of $5 a pair :-D

Tim O'

Yes, they have incrementally reduced the number of pairs per package and while increasing the price until I refuse to purchase them. If we all stop using them, maybe they will get the message.
Nelson Moyer

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Dan Stainton

The Tangent lift bars are a very nice replacement for the DA lift bars. More to a package and cheaper, but, they have no eye bolts with them.

Dan Stainton

Tim O'Connor

https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/204-Coupler-Lift-Bar.x62634.jpg

Pierre Oliver makes etched eye bolts in several sizes, and they're cheap!

But commercial cut bars, as nice as they are, are NOT always accurate for a specific
prototype. Learning to form your own with wire and pliers (you can make these in about
60 seconds, easily) will let you have the correct cut bar for each model. And you'll
still need the eye bolts. :-)

Tim

The Tangent lift bars are a very nice replacement for the DA lift bars. More to a package and cheaper, but, they have no eye bolts with them. Dan Stainton

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

The Tangent lift bars are very nice, but the coupler pocket end is designed to fit into a hole in the pocket cover.  Could be dealt with, but the Tangent parts are hard steel and don't bend or cut easily.

I'd buy more of the Tangent, but I'd prefer something like the DA as first choice.

Ron Merrick

Gary McMills

Plano makes a selection of coupler lift bars.

Gary McMills

On 2018-10-01 14:46, mopacfirst wrote:

The Tangent lift bars are very nice, but the coupler pocket end is designed to fit into a hole in the pocket cover.  Could be dealt with, but the Tangent parts are hard steel and don't bend or cut easily.

I'd buy more of the Tangent, but I'd prefer something like the DA as first choice.

Ron Merrick

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 10/1/2018 4:11 PM, Gary McMills wrote:
Tangent parts are hard steel and don't bend or cut easily.

I'm curious why they don't make them out of brass (cost)?

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Schuyler Larrabee

I think the answer is in the description:  They don’t bend (or cut) easily.  IOW, casual handling won’t result in a bent bar.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Miller
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 7:59 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Coupler lift bars.

-- 
Jon Miller
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Daniel A. Mitchell

Unfortunately, instead of bending they just snap off. Overly hard. Still, a nice product in general service.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Oct 1, 2018, at 10:14 PM, Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

I think the answer is in the description:  They don’t bend (or cut) easily.  IOW, casual handling won’t result in a bent bar.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Miller
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 7:59 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Coupler lift bars.

-- 
Jon Miller
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jim Betz

Schuyler,

"Casual" ... Really?  How about "ROUGH"?  *VBG*

My approach is to "live with the realities" ... in other words - you either
have to have equipment that lives in a display case or you have to 
accept that not everyone who handles your equipment will take the
care in doing so that you do.
  Broken/bent/missing high brake wheels, trucks/wheels/couplers that
get damaged, antennas that break off, railings that get bent/broken,
horns that go missing ... even entire cars (or God forbid trains) that go
to the floor.  These are all things you have to "accept" if you are 
going to operate your stuff.  
  Do you have to like it?  Of course not.  But you do have to "fix it".
At least it is EXceedingly rare for someone to even report damage
they caused (much less offer/be trusted to actually do the repairs).
                                                                                                            - Jim

P.S. The more "scale" and/or "prototypically accurate" stuff gets ... the
        more I like brass detail parts.  Or even entirely brass equipment.

Jim Betz

... BTW - it isn't important (to me) that a lift bar actually lifts ... as long as
it LOOKS like it will lift I'm happy.  - Jim B.

Brian Carlson

Geez Jim. I don’t think even Bill Welch has gone to operating lift bars in his extreme modeling, yet. <grin>

Brian J. Carlson

On Oct 2, 2018, at 12:21 PM, Jim Betz <jimbetz@jimbetz.com> wrote:

... BTW - it isn't important (to me) that a lift bar actually lifts ... as long as
it LOOKS like it will lift I'm happy. - Jim

Tim O'Connor

Gary

I thought those were all telescopic lift bars for cushion underframes. On
a cushion underframe the entire assembly shifts back and forth as much as
30" - therefore the lift bars and brake hoses must be able to move as well.

Tim O'Connor

Plano makes a selection of coupler lift bars.
Gary McMills

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, yeah, that’s a bit TOO stiff.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Daniel A. Mitchell
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 8:44 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Coupler lift bars.

Unfortunately, instead of bending they just snap off. Overly hard. Still, a nice product in general service.

Dan Mitchell

==========

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Miller

-- 
Jon Miller
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Daniel A. Mitchell

Indeed, though I did NOT mean that they were unsuitable for use. It’s rather a toss up ... the Tangent bars resist bending, but will snap off if overstressed, and the DA bars just bend. The DA bars can usually be straightened. Both are fine unless abused.

I don’t know what metal is used by either manufacturer. Both are non-magnetic. DA’s are shiny silver-colored (stainless steel?), while Tangent’s are a “brassy” color (possibly phosphor-bronze). 

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Oct 2, 2018, at 9:16 PM, Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Well, yeah, that’s a bit TOO stiff.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Daniel A. Mitchell
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 8:44 AM

Dan Mitchell
==========

Schuyler

-- 
Jon Miller
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS