From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Carlson via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:41 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Coupler lift bars.

Over the last 20 years I’ve used hundreds of Details Associates part 6215 Coupler Lift Bar - Standard Freight Car.

With no local hobby shop anymore I spend a lot of time at shows searching for various detail parts. Today I found and purchased more packs of the above part. I was saddened to see the quantity of the newest packages were one pair (1 car) for $6.95 cdn.

I don’t mind bending my own but these guys have several bends I’ve never been able to bend well. Does anyone know of other sources for similar parts. I’ve looked at the Tangent website and I see the ones for their covered hoppers wounding if they would work on other car types.

Brian J. Carlson

Pierre Oliver

Don Tichy is working , slowly, on a replacement.

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

On 9/29/18 10:40 PM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io wrote:
Over the last 20 years I’ve used hundreds of Details Associates part 6215 Coupler Lift Bar - Standard Freight Car.

With no local hobby shop anymore I spend a lot of time at shows searching for various detail parts. Today I found and purchased more packs of the above part. I was saddened to see the quantity of the newest packages were one pair (1 car) for $6.95 cdn.

I don’t mind bending my own but these guys have several bends I’ve never been able to bend well. Does anyone know of other sources for similar parts. I’ve looked at the Tangent website and I see the ones for their covered hoppers wounding if they would work on other car types.

Brian J. Carlson

Tim O'Connor

I still have a number of unused packages of the DA parts but I have not used any
in many years - I make my own with wire and pliers, and it's MUCH cheaper, and they
look just fine.

But I'd be happy to sell them at the market rate of $5 a pair :-D

Tim O'

Yes, they have incrementally reduced the number of pairs per package and while increasing the price until I refuse to purchase them. If we all stop using them, maybe they will get the message.
Nelson Moyer

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dan Stainton

The Tangent lift bars are a very nice replacement for the DA lift bars. More to a package and cheaper, but, they have no eye bolts with them.

      Dan Stainton

Tim O'Connor

https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/204-Coupler-Lift-Bar.x62634.jpg

Pierre Oliver makes etched eye bolts in several sizes, and they're cheap!

But commercial cut bars, as nice as they are, are NOT always accurate for a specific
prototype. Learning to form your own with wire and pliers (you can make these in about
60 seconds, easily) will let you have the correct cut bar for each model. And you'll
still need the eye bolts. :-)

Tim

The Tangent lift bars are a very nice replacement for the DA lift bars. More to a package and cheaper, but, they have no eye bolts with them. Dan Stainton

Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

The Tangent lift bars are very nice, but the coupler pocket end is designed to fit into a hole in the pocket cover.  Could be dealt with, but the Tangent parts are hard steel and don't bend or cut easily.

I'd buy more of the Tangent, but I'd prefer something like the DA as first choice.

Ron Merrick

.

Gary McMills

Plano makes a selection of coupler lift bars.

Gary McMills

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 10/1/2018 4:11 PM, Gary McMills wrote:
Tangent parts are hard steel and don't bend or cut easily.

    I'm curious why they don't make them out of brass (cost)?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Schuyler Larrabee

I think the answer is in the description:  They don’t bend (or cut) easily.  IOW, casual handling won’t result in a bent bar.

Schuyler

On 10/1/2018 4:11 PM, Gary McMills wrote:

Tangent parts are hard steel and don't bend or cut easily.

    I'm curious why they don't make them out of brass (cost)?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Daniel A. Mitchell

Unfortunately, instead of bending they just snap off. Overly hard. Still, a nice product in general service.

Dan Mitchell