Topics

Trix/Marklin Reefers

StephenK

I am sure that this topic was covered back in the old Yahoo Group, but I moved all my business here and can't refer to Yahoo any more, so here goes:

What is the prototype that Trix/Marklin used for the reefers that they produced a while back?   Are the models accurate?

Thanks

Steve Kay

Paul Doggett

Steve

From memory the roofs are well out for anything particularly the ice hatches.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 2 Oct 2018, at 14:05, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:

I am sure that this topic was covered back in the old Yahoo Group, but I moved all my business here and can't refer to Yahoo any more, so here goes:

What is the prototype that Trix/Marklin used for the reefers that they produced a while back?   Are the models accurate?

Thanks

Steve Kay

Steve and Barb Hile

Steve,

All of the old Yahoo group messages are archived in the Groups.io site and can be accessed with search tools.  There are a number of messages about the size of the roof hatches on the Trix/Marklin cars.

Steve Hile

I am sure that this topic was covered back in the old Yahoo Group, but I moved all my business here and can't refer to Yahoo any more, so here goes:

What is the prototype that Trix/Marklin used for the reefers that they produced a while back?   Are the models accurate?

Thanks

Steve Kay

Tim O'Connor

They are R-40-14 / R-40-20 models. The roof needs to be replaced
with an Intermountain roof.

*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tony Thompson

Steve Kay wrote:

What is the prototype that Trix/Marklin used for the reefers that they produced a while back?   Are the models accurate?

      Between the side sill and the roof eave, they are really pretty good bodies. The roof is seriously wrong and the underbody is unrelated to anything PFE ever built. Not to mention the truck and coupler mountings. If you want a PFE Class R-40-14 or -20, it's possible to do so from an Athearn Blue Box car with new ends, or an Intermountain R-40-23 with new ends. And you don't need a new roof (not that easy to replace) or underbody.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history