Topics

E&B Valley RR ACF Covered Hopper

StephenK

Many moons ago, early in my kit building days, I attempted one of these kits.   The result was not good:   The car was not square and had serious gaps in the corners.   I ran it for a while (it didn't run too well either...) and finally scrapped it .

Since that time I have built many kits--Branchline, Proto, Intermountain, F&C, Eel River, Tichy, etc.   I am confident that my kit-building skills have improved

I recently was at a train show and saw a few E&B  kits on sale cheap.   I picked one up to see what I could do with it.

My new attempt is square and gaps are minimal, but the fact of the matter is the car doesn't look as good as the Bowser and Kato shake-the Box kits do.   And it takes a lot more work.  I haven't tried Intermountain's version, which I am sure is more work (due to more parts, etc.) but I am willing to bet the result is better.

In any case, it was an interesting lesson learned.   Even if the kits are really cheap, the results are not good enough in today's market.

Steve Kay

Tony Thompson

Steve Kay wrote:

My new attempt is square and gaps are minimal, but the fact of the matter is the car doesn't look as good as the Bowser and Kato shake-the Box kits do.   And it takes a lot more work.  I haven't tried Intermountain's version, which I am sure is more work (due to more parts, etc.) but I am willing to bet the result is better.

    When the E&B Valley kit came out, there was no other square-hatch model available. Thus lots of people bought and built it, including me. But the side stakes are distinctly oversize, and the roof peak is too high (compare a model to any prototype photo, or to the accurate InterMountain version). I don't operate the one I still have, and wouldn't urge anyone to try and put lipstick on it today.

Tony Thompson

Peter Ness

Tony,

This is truly an example to show the “good old days” are not that at all in hindsight!  Absolutely 100% true when E&B released the kit EVERYONE had to have at least one because there was no other. Boy were they GREAT! But…yeah, the fit of the parts and thickness of one of the first it not the first “see-through” running boards in HO scale plastic….but it was the ONLY ONE! Oh, and the wheels? With mold lugs still attached? Yikes!

What we had to contend with for building and operating the “only accurate model” of its type.  Times have changed and while the good ol’ days may have looked that way at the time, it ain’t so anymore, lol.

I still run mine with Kadee wheelsets, and when the truck side frames fail and I have to put real trucks on I will replace the running boards and maybe replace the grabs – more lipstick than they deserve, I know, but they are 3’ models for me in any case.

The New Haven ran stings of these with LNE “pool cars” bringing cement from Maybrook to CT to build the Interstate Highway System…

Steve, Tony, “Thanks for the memories!”

Peter Ness

My new attempt is square and gaps are minimal, but the fact of the matter is the car doesn't look as good as the Bowser and Kato shake-the Box kits do.   And it takes a lot more work.  I haven't tried Intermountain's version, which I am sure is more work (due to more parts, etc.) but I am willing to bet the result is better.

    When the E&B Valley kit came out, there was no other square-hatch model available. Thus lots of people bought and built it, including me. But the side stakes are distinctly oversize, and the roof peak is too high (compare a model to any prototype photo, or to the accurate InterMountain version). I don't operate the one I still have, and wouldn't urge anyone to try and put lipstick on it today.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Steve

I built one as well, eons ago - getting it all square was something of a
nightmare, but I knew it could be done because there were several of them
on the club layout. But I agree 100% - simply not worth the effort now!
The Bowser kits can be found at train shows and they build up into very
presentable models.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

StephenK

It looks like many of us had the same experience.   Just a thought: is this the same kit that Eastern Car Works (?) put out later on, or is that different tooling altogether?

Steve Kay

Benjamin Hom

Steve Kay asked:

"Just a thought: is this the same kit that Eastern Car Works (?) put out later on, or is that different tooling altogether?"

The same. The NYC-prototype smoothside passenger car kits and early "American Flyer" coaches are also originally E&B Valley.

Ben Hom

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
The same. The NYC-prototype smoothside passenger car kits and early "American Flyer" coaches are also originally E&B Valley.
Also sold under the Robin's Rails name, I think, although that was the same proprietor. All the items Ben mentioned were tooled by Patal Engineering, who was also responsible for the old Plasticville line of building kits. The buildings were pretty nice, for their time, but the same can't be said for their rolling stock kits. Poor fits were a Patal trademark, as were bowed roofs on the passenger cars. When Robin's Rails called it quits, somehow Patal ended up with the tooling, which they then sold to Eastern Car Works. Patal is also responsible for the line of rather chunky looking molded styrene trucks sold by ECW.

Dennis Storzek

Brent Greer

One of my early attempts was one of these same kits.  Met with similar results.  I was able to get the corners square, but the sides bowed in so significantly that I had to use brass stock to brace them apart for the roof to fit flush.

I did lots of added details including hatch details and full brake rigging, an etched running board and a few other odds and ends.  I'm still pleased with the efforts, but it was much more effort with little improvement over the Bowser and Kato offerings now available.

Still, it was the best available at the time and I'm better off for the attempt.  Now I'm at least willing to dive into a resin tank car project without too much anxiety.!

Brent
________________________________
Dr. J. Brent Greer

[...]

Brian Carlson

Like everyone else I had one. Built it as a young teen in the late 80’s it was a GE Lamps one. Sold it 10 or so years ago for $5 at a show back when I was selling off all my old stuff.

I still have one of the Enterprise hoppers modeled by ECW (can’t recall if E&B originated that tooling also.) Keeping that one since it’s still the only one in plastic. F&C has it in resin.

I loved the old E&B tagline on their boxes. “Quality models for 1/50 of a century”

Brian J. Carlson

On Oct 11, 2018, at 2:29 PM, Peter Ness <prness@...> wrote:

Tony Thompson

Richard Hendrickson was fond of saying, "THESE are the good old days in the hobby."
Tony Thompson

On Oct 11, 2018, at 11:29 AM, Peter Ness <prness@...> wrote:

[...]

jczzo126 CocuzzaT

I have built several of these, but their is no comparison to today's kits They stand out like a sore thumb next to the Bowser cars. They are good layout 'beaters' as my grandchildren become operators. But, I'm gonna build one more, I have an old Miller Western Maryland set, and two slides of similar cars, so... some snowy night, it will come off the pile.That leaves two left. At $5 apiece, I couldn't resist.

Jim King

I found 3 N&W East Car Works H2/H3 hopper flat kits on ebay a few months ago … got all of the for $30 so, despite the aggravating to come, I think the can be made into some better than putting lipstick on a pig.  The H3 is what I was after … different ends from the Broadway H-2a and with some copy-castings, I can make all of the H3.  Thinning the grossly oversize corner posts and replacing steps with flat brass wire will help a lot.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

Stan Madyda

I was friendly with the owner of E&B Valley and got a bunch of these kits to build.  Still have them.  I called them friendship kits, because if I could stay friends after building one, that was a good thing.  As someone  told me early on, get a big file an bevel the corners and that would help with the assembly.  He later did the airslide hopper, which was his best kit.  Under Robin's Rails, he came out with the 50' PS-1 box cars.  Not a bad kit either.  For the time, they were an improvement over the molded on detail kits.  After he stopped producing kits, he got into painting and lettering for Bev-Bel and did some cars under his own banner, PFA Models (Pretty F&^$ing Accurate).

Almufti Hishman

Here are a couple of these hoppers, flanking an Intermountain. It had been 20 years I bet since I built the UP hopper, maybe the memory of the HUNDREDS of ejector pin marks to be erased had faded. Anyway, I had some Mask Island decals to use, so I dug in.
I can say I have finally learned my lesson and will not build a third one.

Jeff Oliver

StephenK

After reading everyone else's experience with this kit I don't feel too bad.   I removed a few parts that I thought could be used in my scrapyard, and kept the truck sideframes, and tossed the rest.   Lesson learned!

One more thing: this kit came with X2F couplers, and no others.   Fortunately, you don't see that anymore either!

Steve Kay