B&O 5470

James E Kubanick

I have just completed a build of F&C kit # 6761, B&O 9 Panel Hopper. This kit has a one piece body casting, so it was not a particularly difficult build, for a hopper. I followed the kit instructions in building the car and fitted it with TMW Andrews trucks and Kadee code 88 wheelsets. Paint is Scalecoat Engine Black and Testor's Dullcoat. Weathering is a thinned coat of Scalecoat  Flat Grime #1 followed with various Pan Pastel colors. Decals are the original F&C - Not entirely satisfactory.

The F&C data sheet says these cars were built for the CNJ and were a stretched version of the 1905 standard hopper design.CNJ ordered 2000 of these cars in 1920, followed by orders for additional cars. Beginning in 1940, AB brakes replaced the original K brakes and 978 of the upgraded cars were leased to the B&O at that time. B&O numbered them into their 5460 - 5534 series. I could not find a B&O class number for these cars and the instruction sheet photos only shows the designation *HM". The decal sheet has N-10 printed on it but this is incorrect, I believe. These cars had a long life as the B&O rebuilt, and renumbered, them in the mid-1950's.

This is an interesting version of a rib side hopper due to the extra side panel which results in the apex of the center slope sheets being placed in the center of the center panel rather than the normal placement at the center rib.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

Tim O'Connor

Mighty fine weathering on that model!

I have a photo that shows an N-10e (B&O 325156) although I don't recall where
I got that information - can't see the class stencil in the photo.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

gtws00

Great looking model Jim. The weathering is very nice.
George Toman

O Fenton Wells

Well done James and a great finish applied too!!!
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

vapeurchapelon

Beautyful model, no doubt.

>> TMW Andrews trucks and Kadee code 88 wheelsets. <<

Did you ream out the TMW trucks to accept Kadee wheelsets, or did it fit sufficiently (which I would be surprised of)?

Thanks and greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 um 03:59 Uhr
Von: "James E Kubanick" <jekuban@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] B&O 5470
[...]

Thanks, guys. Yes, I did have to ream out the truck journals for good running characteristics, but I often have to do this.

And, Tim, these cars were later renumbered into the 3000 - 3999 series, so I still believe they were not classed as any of the N-10  series. Since photographing this car, I have blanked out the N-10 until I find the correct class designation, if one was ever assigned.

Jim

Beautyful model, no doubt.

Gesendet: Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 um 03:59 Uhr
Von: "James E Kubanick" <jekuban@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
[...]

Peter Ness

Very nice build, Jim.  I like what you’ve done with the interior! May I ask what you used for stirrup steps?

Peter Ness

[...]

Paul Doggett

Stunning modelling Jim the weathering is absolutely great.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 15 Oct 2018, at 15:49, Peter Ness <prness@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter,

The stirrups were those supplied in the kit. To me, the look like Tichy or Detail Associates. They are made of Delrin.

Jim

On Monday, October 15, 2018, 10:58:06 AM EDT, Paul Doggett via Groups.Io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

[...]

rwitt_2000

Jim  and all,

A quick comment these hoppers were leased from CNJ. B&O typically did not assign a class to leased equipment. The Summary of Equipment listed them as "CNJ" . It would not be a class N-10.

I will have to check my notes, but there were at lease two different leases. Chris Barkan wrote an article for the B&O Sentinel based upon memos describing the various leases and what hoppers were included and the number series. The later leases included some fishbelly side sill hoppers.

rwitt_2000

I didn't sign my last post - Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

From various notes;

B&O leased CNJ hoppers on two occasions postwar, 1947-1955 and 1955-1962.
The second lease (1955-1962), B&O did lease CNJ fishbelly hoppers, and they were painted B&O.
The leased hoppers were numbered in the B&O 3000-4199 series, the fishbellies were mixed in with other types at random.

S of E Date

Class

Built

Numbers

Capacity

Inside Length

Tare Wt.

Number of Cars

1-53 Lease 1

CNJ

1920

5000-5459

55T

30’6”

440

5460-6534

32’6”

1049

1-54

CNJ

1920

5000-5459

55T

30’6”

251

5460-6534

32’0”

1047

1-55

CNJ

1920

5000-5459

55T

30’6”

19T

59

5460-6534

32’6”

19T

238

1-56 Lease 2

CNJ

1909-41

3000-4599

50T

32’0”

1186

1920

5529-6355

55T

32’6”

2

1-57

CNJ

1909-41

3000-4599

50T

32’0”

1527

1920

6355

55T

32’0”

1

1-58

CNJ

1909-41

3000-4559

50T

32’0”

1481

1920

6355

32’0”

1

1-60

CNJ

1909-41

3000-4559

50T

32’0”

1124

Probably more information than anyone wanted ...

Regards,

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

Recently someone was griping about my use of spaces vs tabs and I responded that
formats vary from screen to screen... Just thought you might be interested to see
what Bob's note looks like on my screen! :-D

Tim O'

Bob Witt wrote

From various notes;
B&O leased CNJ hoppers on two occasions postwar, 1947-1955 and 1955-1962. The second lease (1955-1962),
B&O did lease CNJ fishbelly hoppers, and they were painted B&O. The leased hoppers were numbered in the
B&O 3000-4199 series, the fishbellies were mixed in with other types at random.

Sterling, Massachusetts

James E Kubanick

Bob,

Thanks for that info. Based on this, I will letter my car without a class designation and place "HM" in that spot as shown in the F&C instruction photo.

Jim Kubanick

From various notes;