Topics

[ResinFreightCarBuilders] RPM Chicagoland Photos

Tim O'Connor

Jeremy

Thank you for posting that photo collection.

I must say, I understand a single poster showing the timeline of Railroad Prototype Modeling
is pressed for space... but to mention Sunshine without mentioning WESTERFIELD is to my mind a
huge omission! The RPM movement was already well developed when Sunshine came onto the scene.

And I think the genesis of RPM was not the models, but several important publications! Authors
and scratchbuilders led the way - RPM could never have happened without them.

Tim O'Connor

-------------------------

Greetings,

Here is a link to my photo gallery from this weekend's RPM Chicagoland:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m6w5uzssH2WUihhq9

And... some video I shot at the show as well:

https://youtu.be/U8mhe5370MQ

Enjoy!

Jeremy Dummler
Wauconda, IL

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 03:29 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
but to mention Sunshine without mentioning WESTERFIELD is to my mind a
huge omission!
I concur.

Dennis Storzek

Nelson Moyer

In partial defense of the guilty, I believe it should be stated that the theme of the meeting was to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding of the event by Martin Lofton, who also founded Sunshine Models. The organizers did this by honoring Trish Martin at the banquet, and facilitating a rather impressive historical time line of models. I don’t believe they intended to slight the contributions of Al Westerfield to the hobby, it’s just that Al didn’t start the Naperville RPM, and Martin did.

Nelson Moyer

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 03:29 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

but to mention Sunshine without mentioning WESTERFIELD is to my mind a
huge omission!

I concur.

Dennis Storzek

Bill Welch

The tables displaying the Timeline was dependent on what people brought to display. The slideshow Steve Hile put together gave credit with photos to all of the suppliers/purveyors of resin including Al Westerfield.

Bill Welch

Steve and Barb Hile

Tim,

I suspect that the creator of the poster was thinking of the RPM MEETS as beginning with Sunshine's Naperville gathering.  We know that there were RPM rooms at NMRA nationals prior to 1994 and that the RPM movement was well underway.

But this was the 25th Sunshine meet and we were particularly honoring Martin's memory along with those who helped make the huge variety of Sunshine kits for transition era cars.  Martin, himself, would have acknowledged the Al Westerfield helped and encouraged Martin when he was just starting out in the business.

I think that Mike Skibbe will be posting the entirety of the slides we used for Friday evenings FOFC panel discussion, but I will attach a slide that I developed that tries to trace the evolution of resin freight car kits.  The line begins in the late 1960's with O scale epoxy resin cars in O scale from Bill Clouser and passes through hybrid type kits, such as WestRail and Roller Bearing Models.  I defined the first generation as the flat kit era, with the second (current) generation being the one piece bodies, along with some sources continuing with first generation technology.

Comments are welcome on this.

Thanks,

Steve Hile

[...]

Gene Deimling

Bill Clouser was a pioneer model maker who mastered the art of casting with aluminum filled epoxy.  He started with flat molds and later cast single piece O scale car bodies.
Mike O’Connell was an early maker of urethane kits in O scale.  I believe his first kits were produced in the mid-1970s.  His Chooch name has survived longer than nearly everyone else.

Gene Deimling

On Oct 22, 2018, at 8:44 AM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

[...]

<Resin Freight Car Kit Evolution.pdf>

gary laakso

Maybe a sheet is needed for other resin vendors like Chad Boas, Protowest Scale Models, Jerry Hamsmith and others.

Gary Laakso

[...]

skibbs4

Attendees know that we mentioned and expanded on every resin car manufacturer that we could think of.  There were no huge omissions, and Dennis Storzek was mentioned for his contributions as well.  We even had the early sawtooth Soo Line boxcars out on the timeline tables.

I went ahead an posted Steve Hile's presentation online here, which should help frame this conversation in a more inclusive light:

Mike Skibbe

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:21 AM, skibbs4 wrote:
Attendees know that we mentioned and expanded on every resin car manufacturer that we could think of.  There were no huge omissions, and Dennis Storzek was mentioned for his contributions as well.  We even had the early sawtooth Soo Line boxcars out on the timeline tables.

Well, thank you for the mention, although I played a very little part in the grand scheme of things. I think what Tim and I both take exception to is the wording of the poster shown below, which more or less says that Sunshine was responsible for both resin kits and the entire RPM movement. I realize that the 25th year event was intended to be self congratulatory, but revisionist history doesn't really cut it. Using Sunshine's entry to the business in 1989 as the defining event of the eighties has glossed over a whole lot of people who came before, and in some cases put much more at risk to get us where we are today.

Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek wrote:

Well, thank you for the mention, although I played a very little part in the grand scheme of things. I think what Tim and I both take exception to is the wording of the poster shown below, which more or less says that Sunshine was responsible for both resin kits and the entire RPM movement.

    At least the poster avoids the self-serving "history" propounded by Joe D'Elia.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

skibbs4

Please don't think we were trying to create revisionist history with the sign.  I had an idea for a timeline of models as part of celebrating the 25th year of the event.  And when I suggested some signage for the timeline tables, someone stepped up to volunteer to create a sign.  No big conspiracy other than doing something on a tight timeline.

In fact, on September 11, I solicited feedback from this group about what would be best to include to highlight the RPM movement, and as near as I can tell it didn't generate any email responses.

Maybe before this devolves, and since it's now a topic of interest, we can discuss what should be on the timeline.  What key events?  What key companies?  What key articles?

I'll offer to collect that information and get it correct online, to the extent we can agree <grin>.  And we can discuss the Steve Hile timeline, as I know he would appreciate feedback as well.  I think it's a history worth documenting, which was the motivation for what we did.  Now let's continue the conversation.

All the best,
Mike Skibbe
(Who always says in the attendee program:  "Blame me for anything that went wrong, hopefully it doesn't affect your overall enjoyment of the event!")

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:50 PM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
[...]

To all those complaining about what was left out here is part of Mike Skibbe's message in September: "A question to the group: If you were pulling together a museum display of kits and models that told the story of the RPM movement, what would you include? A major theme of this year's 25th anniversary event is looking back at the history of the prototype modeling movement and celebrating how far modeling has come through the fellowship of RPM events. We'd like to see those improvements in the display room this year, and to that end, we're inviting everyone in attendance to bring models that may be languishing in storage."

We were all ask and had the opportunity to comment, suggest, etc.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:30 PM, skibbs4 wrote:
I'll offer to collect that information and get it correct online, to the extent we can agree <grin>.  And we can discuss the Steve Hile timeline, as I know he would appreciate feedback as well.  I think it's a history worth documenting, which was the motivation for what we did.  Now let's continue the conversation.

All the best,
Mike Skibbe

Well, I'll nominate William J. Clouser's WJC Custom Cast line as the beginning of COMMERCIAL resin kits. Others may have used what was at the time called "tooling resin" for personal parts, but the Clouser boxcars were the first product of this sort offered for sale. While Bill is better known for his traction models, IIRC the boxcars came first, and were actually developed because he needed accurate models to populate a courtroom display, illustrative courtroom models being a major portion of his custom model making business. Once the masters had been made on someone else's nickle, it was easy to produce more. I believe these became "proof of concept" for his later traction model line. I recall Bill being out at the Illinois Railway Museum in the very early seventies to gather measurements for the North Shore interurban that became his first traction offering, and the boxcars had been done several years earlier, perhaps in the late sixties. At any rate, at a time when MR articles were mentioning Cerro metal castings made in latex rubber molds, Clouser showed there were better materials.

And of course, there would be no cast resin models if it wasn't for Al Westerfield, who not only did extensive research on his prototypes in an era when accurate and complete data was hard to come by, but also developed a workable method of producing kits at a price that encouraged the market. Clouser 1/4" scale kits were nice, but they were pricey. By comparison, Al's kits were priced where the average modeler could actually believe that he could populate a layout with them. One thing that few mention is that before Al actually went into business, he basically published his whole methodology in the hobby press, in RMC, IIRC, in a series of articles in the late seventies.

While I was only producing resin kits for a couple years before moving on to other things, I would not have even known where to start without the knowledge of what these two individuals had already accomplished.

I should also mention Tom Madden, also a professional modelmaker, who lead the industry to its "second generation", consulting with and teaching several manufacturers the secrets of viable one piece resin bodies.

I'm sure there are others who made significant contributions; these are the ones who stand out to me.

Dennis Storzek

skibbs4

Since Steve Hile started his diagram with Clouser as generation 0, I'll take your input as more of a confirmation than a nomination. ;-)

Here's the timeline slide, that was published as one slide of a larger presentation:

 Hope that comes through in Groups IO ok.  The rest is on www.rpmconference.com as mentioned earlier.

Mike Skibbe

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 3:52 PM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
[...]

Peter Ness

Mike,

I’m glad you mentioned articles.  A lot of the conversation has focused on resin car kits, and manufacturers (which I think may be cause of the majority of the conversation since that constitutes the bulk of the timeline from the 1970’s onward), but there has been less conversation on the articles. I think it may be more productive to focus on authors than articles , perhaps?

For example, I know (from reading, not memory!) that Frank Ellison was writing articles on prototype modeling in the 1930’s…there were others as well. Tools, media and technology made evolution of prototype modeling possible (my opinion) and in the 1970’s (maybe late ‘60’s?) there were publications devoted only to prototype modeling. Eric Neubauer, David Casdorph, Richard Hendrickson, Frank Hodina, Dennis Storzek and many, many others who have or continue to support this group are authors that come to mind.

While I suppose it’s possible we may all recall “the same” article that “showed us the way” I think it’s more likely it was a group of different articles in different publications that influenced us and perhaps this aspect of the hobby, which is why I propose authors rather than articles may have more meaning to the casual timeline reader.

Also, again, my opinion, some manufacturers that do not jump immediately to mind nowadays were providing prototype modelers with detail parts decades ago – Walthers, Cal-Scale, Red Ball, Precision Scale come to mind…and today there are newer manufacturers of detail parts as well as a couple of the oldies.

Lastly, I can understand the original timeline, produced under deadline and I am sure most gratefully accepted, can probably stand some correction even if it stands as is.  The one that jumps out to me is the 1950’s statement that “standards for models are introduced”. I just checked the website, and NMRA was founded in 1935. So perhaps if there are some specific standards from the 1950’s that drove prototype modeling, they bear mentioning….otherwise, standards should probably be shifted earlier?

I think whether the timelines stays focused on supporting the 25th anniversary of the event or is expanded to embrace prototype modeling in general, some of the above should be reviewed for consideration to include on the timeline.

Re: the Steve Hile timeline.  I think this is a great start – may also have contributed to the spate of conversation on resin car makers…so, an observation… before resin there were prototype model kits produced – and built, right? So, for the timeline extending back to the 1930’s would it be appropriate to also consider the manufacturers of wood, cast metal or brass prototype models? Dale Newton-Red Ball, Ulrich, Walthers and others? And for the scratch-builders, Northeastern Scale Lumber ( or was Kapplers first or is there a predecessor?) Central Valley, others?

I get it if the intent is to focus on prototype modeling with resin and contemporary technology, but if the point is to show how the path began and grew to get to today, these may be other considerations.

My two cents,

Peter Ness

William Hirt

As a impressionable teenager, I remember just being entranced by the March 1971 Model Railroader cover which featured Bill Clouser's O Scale boxcars on the cover. The detail for freight cars was incredible for the time.

There is an interview of Bill by Bob Hegge in the MR issue where Bill describes the process in how he builds a model to make molds. There is several pictures of his completed model work along with a picture of a number of different boxcar ends waiting to be used. He discusses initially selling these boxcars in the "Ultra-Scale" line in the late 1960s. He discontinued selling them by the time the article was published, but said because terrific response, he was thinking about reissuing them. Perhaps someone knows if he did.

A worthwhile read to see the thoughts of a early modeler casting resin kits.

Bill Hirt

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 03:38 PM, Peter Ness wrote:
For example, I know (from reading, not memory!) that Frank Ellison was writing articles on prototype modeling in the 1930’s…there were others as well.
Peter, I don't know if Frank Ellison really fits that image, from the articles he authored that I recall reading in back issues, his mantra was realistic OPERATION, where instead of running 'round and 'round in a circle, a train departed from a yard, worked its way across the layout, and finally terminated in a yard, although the track plan I vaguely remember showed that one yard was common to both ends of his layout. "A model railroad is a play", If I remember his statement correctly, " the layout the stage, the trains the players, the schedule the script." As to equipment, he reportedly would remove the pilot and trailing trucks on some locomotives, to cut down on derailments. So much for prototype fidelity.

The author I recall first pointing out that the way to build a convincing model was to find a neat prototype and follow it was one time MR editor Paul Larson, although he was concentrating on structures. The scratchbuilt structures for his Mineral Point & Northern that he wrote up for RMC after he left MR were real gems.

The first in depth article about a prototype freightcar I recall was on the X29 boxcar in the original Prototype Modeler magazine sometime in the mid to late seventies. It was like, wow, why can't we have histories like this for all the cars. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the author's name.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 02:07 PM, skibbs4 wrote:
Here's the timeline slide, that was published as one slide of a larger presentation:
image.png
Mike,

I can add a little more detail to the disposition of my line, for what it's worth.

Beginning in 1983, about a year after Al Westerfield started, I ultimately offered five kits, some in multiple road names:

A Soo Line wood caboose. I wanted to do a freightcar, but couldn't convince myself there was a market for freightcars at the price I'd need to get, and thought the caboose was a safer bet...

The Soo Line "sawtooth" boxcar, which is the kit I really wanted to do... I had to measure a prototype and do my own drawings.

A NYC double sheathed boxcar and auto car, also available with NKP and DSS&A lettering, and then a Rutland version of each with different ends. Someone wanted the South Shore version, and steered me to the NYC drawings published in the CBC and one extant car at the museum in North Freedom. This was a project that just kept growing, as modelers following other roads (NKP, Rutland) noticed the similarity and provided additional information to make them happen.

A Canadian Gov't Railways / CN single sheathed boxcar. This one was promoted by Stafford Swain, who arranged for Ken Goslett to did the builders drawings out of the archives of the Canadian Railway Historical Society museum at Delson, PQ.

Along about this time I asked Grandt Line about the possibility of doing a standard gauge KC brake set to replace the CalScale set that had just gone out of production, and Dave asked for anticipated volume. This caused the rude awakening that while I was making many more different kits, sales volume had been essentially flat since my second year, and this was never going to be a full time business, so I turned my energies elsewhere.

At this time, 1986 or '87, DesPlaines Hobby (not DesPlaines Valley) was still a partnership, and Ron Sebastian's partner (Bob Dennis, IIRC) was interested in expanding the business into manufacturing, and I sold the entire line and production equipment. Within a year or so the partnership dissolved, leaving the resin kit line an orphan. Most of my line died then and there. DesPlaines Hobby eventually copied the caboose as an injection molded flat kit, and Westerfield did new patterns of the NYC cars and put them in his line, rendering my older work moot. Some years later, the Soo Line Historical & Technical Society asked me about the boxcar patterns, since the car had been off the market for at least a decade. This resulted in the Society purchasing the rights to the design, which they then licensed to Speedwitch, and Ted turned first generation parts that I had retained into a one-piece body, while supplying a revised floor pattern. This is the only one of my kits that lives on; I have no idea what ever happened to the CN car, although I used drawings of a similar CN car as the basis for an Accurail kit.

I point this all out because the flow chart seems to imply that Speedwitch was somehow a continuation of my line, which is by no means true, except for that one kit.

Dennis Storzek

Benjamin Hom

Dennis Storzek wrote:
"The first in depth article about a prototype freightcar I recall was on the X29 boxcar in the original Prototype Modeler magazine sometime in the mid to late seventies. It was like, wow, why can't we have histories like this for all the cars. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the author's name."

Jack Amerine and Jeff Freeman, October 1978 issue of Prototype Modeler.

Ben Hom

Peter Ness

Hi Dennis,

Frank Ellison may not be a good example for prototype modeling.  Arguably he was an early proponent of prototype operations.  While there is a distinction, in my opinion the two go together, but that’s just me.  It’s possible for some folks the introduction to prototype modeling was driven by prototype operations… but perhaps not.

As for Prototype Modeler, don’t let CRS get you down (ask me how I know).  The folks at Train Life have eliminated the need to trust our aging memories to some extent by making available several railroad modeling publications including this one.

Here’s the link to the main page for their repository:

https://www.trainlife.com/pages/the-magazine-library

My opinion only, there’s a lot of good content there. If only Mainline Modeler could be included (sigh).

Peter Ness