Intermountain PFE Roof Color Variation Between Runs

Nelson Moyer

I just received a preorder for Intermountain PFE  R-40-23 reefers, and the roofs are much lighter and redder than all of the other Intermountain PFE reefers I have. I attached a photo of an Intermountain PFE R-40-10 with the R-40-23 to illustrate the problem. Is this range of colors acceptable, or did Intermountain and their Chinese factory botch the R-40-23 run? I hate it that we have to buy pigs in pokes.

Nelson Moyer

Tim O'Connor

Nelson

The R-40-10 is a post-1949 REPAINT. The R-40-23 is the "as delivered" paint. Both of them need to
be weathered, so why worry about it? :-|

Tim O'Connor

I just received a preorder for Intermountain PFE  R-40-23 reefers, and the roofs are much lighter and redder than all of the other Intermountain PFE reefers I have. I attached a photo of an Intermountain PFE R-40-10 with the R-40-23 to illustrate the problem. Is this range of colors acceptable, or did Intermountain and their Chinese factory botch the R-40-23 run? I hate it that we have to buy pigs in pokes.

Nelson Moyer

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

I just received a preorder for Intermountain PFE  R-40-23 reefers, and the roofs are much lighter and redder than all of the other Intermountain PFE reefers I have. I attached a photo of an Intermountain PFE R-40-10 with the R-40-23 to illustrate the problem. Is this range of colors acceptable, or did Intermountain and their Chinese factory botch the R-40-23 run? I hate it that we have to buy pigs in pokes.

     Tim is basically right, they need weathered anyway, but the red roof at right is way too red, in my view. And BTW, not the first time IM has done this.  They also do all kinds of variations on the orange, despite help with both colors. I suspect they turn the factory loose to do what works.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jerry Michels

Are you guys referring to the recent IMRC dealer's announcement of the wood-sided cars?  are these accurate.  I am doubtful, but would like some guidance on these cars.  They look pretty generic to me.

Jerry Michels

Tony Thompson

Jerry Michels wrote:

Are you guys referring to the recent IMRC dealer's announcement of the wood-sided cars?  are these accurate.  I am doubtful, but would like some guidance on these cars.  They look pretty generic to me.

     The car bodies are accurate, not so the roof and end color. InterMountain continues to let their factory "wing it" on color. It's not a new event.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jerry Michels

Thanks Tony.  Jerry