Topics

55 Ton Fishbelly Hopper Cars


David Payne
 



Does anyone have a list of owners of the subject hopper car; specifically, one with flat ends (for all I know, they may all have had flat ends).
Thank you!
David Payne



anthony wagner
 

Off the top of my head circa 1950: RDG, CNJ, D&H, LV, WM, and N&W. AFIK only the N&W cars had peaked ends. In later years some of these cars moved to other RRs secondhand. Tony Wagner


On Friday, October 26, 2018 11:43 AM, David Payne via Groups.Io <davidcofga@...> wrote:




Does anyone have a list of owners of the subject hopper car; specifically, one with flat ends (for all I know, they may all have had flat ends).
Thank you!
David Payne





Benjamin Hom
 

David Payne asked:
"Does anyone have a list of owners of the subject hopper car; specifically, one with flat ends (for all I know, they may all have had flat ends)."

Anthony Wagner replied:
"Off the top of my head circa 1950: RDG, CNJ, D&H, LV, WM, and N&W. AFIK only the N&W cars had peaked ends. In later years some of these cars moved to other RRs secondhand."

Be advised that not all of these cars are the same dimensionally, with 29 ft and 30 ft 6 in inside length variations.  Additionally, the Western Maryland built larger capacity versions of these cars in the late 1950s.  Don't assume the Stewart/Bowser model will cover all of these cars - there's still a use for the Ulrich model and a need to scratchbuild or find an old RailRoad Progress scratchbuild in a box for the later WM cars.


Ben Hom


David Payne
 

Thanks to Tony and Ben for your replies.
David Payne


David
 

CNJ 31' IL, 11' EH, 2028cf
67000-67999, 1942

D&H 29' IL, 10'3" EH, 1764cf
2300-2499, 1941-2 some 40T
2500-2899, 1946-7
4201-4350, 1947-8 some 40T

D&H 30'11" IL, 10'5" EH, 1860cf
4701-5700, 1939-40
5701-6100, 1942

LV 31' IL, 10'5" EH, 1860cf
25000-25499, 1939

LV 31' IL, 10'8" EH, 1936cf
25500-25939, 1942

N&W class HL, 31' IL, 11' EH, 1998 cf
22000-23999, 1936
24000-25999, 1937
67500-69999, 1937
38000-39999, 1939
57500-59999, 1939
67000-67499, 1939
56500-57499, 1940

copies of N&W HL:
ACL 81500-81999, 1940
NS 9000-9049, 1941

RDG, 31' IL, 11' EH, 2028cf
80000-80999, 1941
67000-67338, 1942
65000-65999, 1944

RDG composite, 31'IL, 11' EH, 1936cf
67339-67999, 1943
66000-66999, 1944

WM, 31' IL, 11' EH, 2028cf
10001-10800, 1942
10801-13400
13401-14400, 1953

WM, 32'8" IL, 10'9" EH
14401-14900, 1958

David Thompson


David
 

And I just now remembered that AC&Y had some 33' IL cars I have no details on.

David Thompson


thomas christensen
 

ACL 50 ton fishbelly hoppers per 12/53 roster and 10/47 and 8/57 diagram books.

30'11 3/4" IL  11'0" EH  2054 CF
K-3 80475-80652
K-4 80702-80798
K-5 81003-81499 blt 1926 Pressed Steel Car Co.
Built with flat ends and flat bottoms with 4 pairs of traverse doors. Rebuilt 1952/53 as 2 bay hoppers, some with peaked ends.

30'11 3/4" IL  12'3" EH  2054 CF
K-8 81500-81999 blt 1940 Bethlehem Steel
Built with peaked ends.

CF is level load.

Tom Christensen


John Sykes III
 
Edited

I assume you guys are speaking about "late" fishbelly twin hoppers (the Stewart/Bowser model)?  Pressed Steel Car Company first came out with these cars in the late 1890's.  The largest customer was PRR with over 20,000 GLs, GLCs, CLCAs, GLCBs and GLHs, ultimately coming from several car builders, included the railroad itself.  The January 1954 ORER shows over 4,700 of these cars still in service of that late date.

Since Steve Stewart lives in the area, I suspect he used the LV/RDG versions as the basis of the model, although they differed from lot to lot.

-- John


Benjamin Hom
 

John Sykes wrote:
"Since Steve Stewart lives in the area, I suspect he used the LV/RDG versions as the basis of the model, although they differed from lot to lot."

Doubt it.  Details of the model are closest to the WM cars.


Ben Hom


william darnaby
 

If I am correct, the AC&Y historical society had Rail Graphics make decals for this car which were numbered in the series 6000-6099. Per the info sheet these were 2090 cuf and 33' IL. The Stewart car is makes an acceptable model of this car per the photos includes in the decal info sheet. Mont Switzer was kind enough to provide me with a set of decals to use on the Stewart model which made a nice car for my railroad.

Bill Darnaby

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of David via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 7:48 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 55 Ton Fishbelly Hopper Cars

And I just now remembered that AC&Y had some 33' IL cars I have no details on.

David Thompson


James E Kubanick
 

Ben is right. The Stewart was patterned after the WM prototype and the WM Historical Society made several offerings of the car in various WM number sets and two lettering schemes.

Also, the Cambria & Indiana (C&I 300-series) rostered some of these cars, although they may have been second-hand from one of the roads already cited.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Saturday, October 27, 2018, 2:29:35 PM EDT, william darnaby <wdarnaby@...> wrote:


If I am correct, the AC&Y historical society had Rail Graphics make decals for this car which were numbered in the series 6000-6099.  Per the info sheet these were 2090 cuf and 33' IL.  The Stewart car is makes an acceptable model of this car per the photos includes in the decal info sheet.  Mont Switzer was kind enough to provide me with a set of decals to use on the Stewart model which made a nice car for my railroad.

Bill Darnaby

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of David via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 7:48 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] 55 Ton Fishbelly Hopper Cars

And I just now remembered that AC&Y had some 33' IL cars I have no details on.

David Thompson







David Payne
 

John Sykes III writes:
I assume you guys are speaking about "late" fishbelly twin hoppers (the Stewart/Bowser model)?  Pressed Steel Car Company first came out with these cars in the late 1890's.  The largest customer was PRR with over 20,000 GLs, GLCs, CLCAs, GLCBs and GLHs, ultimately coming from several car builders, included the railroad itself.  The January 1954 ORER shows over 4,700 of these cars still in service of that late date.


Actually I was looking for a southeastern “home” for the AtlasO model that I have, but it doesn’t appear that many, if any, migrated south.
David Payne