Topics

Roof Query

mike turner

What type roof is this?

Does anyone make an HO version of this?

The raised portions are not tapered or in a 'bowtie' and there are 2 per panel. Built circa 1947.

Thx.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

Benjamin Hom

Mike Turner asked:
"What type roof is this?
Does anyone make an HO version of this?

The raised portions are not tapered or in a 'bowtie' and there are 2 per panel. Built circa 1947."

Appears to be a New York Central Despatch roof.  First thought was one of the Milwaukee Road rib-side boxcars but the construction here is clearly riveted.

Branchline tooled this roof and included it in their undecorated kits.

Ben Hom

mopacfirst

Isn't this a Milwaukee Road caboose?

Ron Merrick

mike turner

Southern Railway  caboose X3115 built Jan 23, 1947, from SOU 38' ventilated boxcar 122483 at Hayne Shops and currently located at the Hub City Museum at Magnolia Station in Spartanburg, SC.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

On 10/29/2018 6:42 PM, mopacfirst wrote:
Isn't this a Milwaukee Road caboose?

Ron Merrick

David

Murphy Welded Roof, as shown on pp. 411-412 of the 1940 CBC. The panels were welded together, but the roof as a whole was riveted to the carbody. Milwaukee did use it on their ribside boxes.

David Thompson

mike turner

Just confirmed Murphy Welded Roof on SOU drawing SF-5210.

Thx for the replies.

Now to try and find an HO roof of this flavor.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

On 10/29/2018 9:43 PM, David via Groups.Io wrote:
Murphy Welded Roof, as shown on pp. 411-412 of the 1940 CBC. The panels were welded together, but the roof as a whole was riveted to the carbody. Milwaukee did use it on their ribside boxes.

David Thompson

Richard Townsend

As Ben Hom mentioned, Branchline made a Despatch roof in its undecorated boxcar kits that is similar to, if not indistinguishable from, the Murphy welded roof. Others have suggested a roof from a Milwaukee ribside box car that also is quite similar if not identical.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Just confirmed Murphy Welded Roof on SOU drawing SF-5210.

Thx for the replies.

Now to try and find an HO roof of this flavor.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

On 10/29/2018 9:43 PM, David via Groups.Io wrote:
> Murphy Welded Roof, as shown on pp. 411-412 of the 1940 CBC. The
> panels were welded together, but the roof as a whole was riveted to
> the carbody. Milwaukee did use it on their ribside boxes.
>
> David Thompson

Dennis Storzek

The big problem with the MILW roofs is the rib side cars don't have Z bar eaves, so the roof is the full width of the body, wider than on a typical car.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

A DESPATCH roof is quite different from a Milwaukee welded roof as applied to
the Milwaukee rib sided box cars. They are easily distinguishable.

I'm not familiar with those Southern box cars, but don't confuse the DESPATCH
and Milwaukee roofs!

Tim O'Connor

As Ben Hom mentioned, Branchline made a Despatch roof in its undecorated boxcar kits that is similar to, if not indistinguishable from, the Murphy welded roof. Others have suggested a roof from a Milwaukee ribside box car that also is quite similar if not identical.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Just confirmed Murphy Welded Roof on SOU drawing SF-5210.

Thx for the replies.

Now to try and find an HO roof of this flavor.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

On 10/29/2018 9:43 PM, David via Groups.Io wrote:
> Murphy Welded Roof, as shown on pp. 411-412 of the 1940 CBC. The
> panels were welded together, but the roof as a whole was riveted to
> the carbody. Milwaukee did use it on their ribside boxes.
>
> David Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts