Topics

Floquil Glaze (reconstitute Floquil paints)


Lester Breuer
 

Denny I do not know if Floquil glaze will reconstitute Floquil paints.   I added it to existing colors or sprayed it over Floquil colors to get a gloss base for decal application.  To reconstitute old Floquil pints I used an ultrasonic cleaner (UC). The paint had to have a little thinner left in the bottle.  I would start by just putting the old bottle of paint in the UC for a period of time to see if usable.  If not I would start adding an eye dropper of  Diosol (since off the market my mix 50% xylene and 50% toluene) and back into the UC.  I would repeat this process until I could get it usable.  I define usable as being able to brush the paint.  At times I was able to get the paint back to spray quality if strained through a nylon stocking.  It took time and patience to get it done; however, if it was the only bottle I had left it was worth the effort.
Hopes this helps.   Lester Breuer


Gene Green <genegreen1942@...>
 

Lester, thanks for the information on your experience reconstituting Floquil.  I have a stash of about 80 bottles so you provided information I can potentially use.
Gene Green
Out in the west Texas town of El Paso


Jeff Coleman
 

I have used Floquil Glaze as others here, for a simi-gloss finish. 
I have had it along with Floquil High Gloss setup in bottles. But all my other Floquil is fine, have 200+ bottles and some in the old style square bottles. Been using Xylene for thinner for 25 yrs. 

Jeff Coleman

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018, 11:24 AM Gene Green via Groups.Io <genegreen1942=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Lester, thanks for the information on your experience reconstituting Floquil.  I have a stash of about 80 bottles so you provided information I can potentially use.
Gene Green
Out in the west Texas town of El Paso


Jon Miller <atsfus@...>
 

On 11/3/2018 9:18 AM, Jeff Coleman wrote:
 Been using Xylene for thinner for 25 yrs. 


    Is there any difference between Xylene and Xylol.  Can't seen to find anything and both are listed together on some cans such as Xylene/Xylol.
-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Jon Miller <atsfus@...>
 

On 11/3/2018 9:18 AM, Jeff Coleman wrote:
Been using Xylene for thinner for 25 yrs. 

Jeff Coleman

    Also looks like this is a NO in CA thing like MEK!:-(

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Ralph W. Brown
 

Hi Jon,
 
As far as I know they are they same thing – dimethylbenzene.  They are three isomers depending on the position of the second methyl group in relation to first on the benzene ring (1,2, 1,3 and 1,4), but all three are called dimethylbenzene, xylene or xylol.
 
Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com
 

From: Jon Miller
Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2018 1:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Floquil Glaze (reconstitute Floquil paints)
 
On 11/3/2018 9:18 AM, Jeff Coleman wrote:
Been using Xylene for thinner for 25 yrs. 


    Is there any difference between Xylene and Xylol.  Can't seen to find anything and both are listed together on some cans such as Xylene/Xylol.
-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Jack Mullen
 

Jon,
Xylene and xylol are two names for the same chemical, also more descriptively named dimethylbenzene.
Jack Mullen