From: David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001@...>
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 1:54 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] More Barriger Pics

Benjamin Hom

Roger Huber asked:
"I have a question about photos in library collections. Why are they often printed backwards like these two?"

Simple.  They're often scanning negatives or slides, not prints, so if the person scanning gets the orientation wrong...

Ben Hom

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

The GATC picture is reversed. All the spelling is backwords

On Monday, November 5, 2018, 2:54:29 PM EST, David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

A common problem with the Barringer images. Easily fixed if you download and save the image.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "dale florence via Groups.Io" <dwwesley@...>
Date: Monday, November 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] More Barriger Pics

The GATC picture is reversed. All the spelling is backwords

On Monday, November 5, 2018, 2:54:29 PM EST, David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

Tatum end on B&O 81922:

GATC 1917 tank with safety valve elbow:

David Thompson

Ralph W. Brown

Hi David, Dale, et al.,

I ran both photos through my photo software and mirrored them horizontally.  Much easier to read that way.

The tank car in the second photo (https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12240085816/) in PBCX 502.  Does anyone know whether PBCX is “The Portsmouth By-Products Coke Company”?  Also, does anyone know anything about the odd car just ahead of PBCX 502 on the next track over?

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

The GATC picture is reversed. All the spelling is backwords

On Monday, November 5, 2018, 2:54:29 PM EST, David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

Tatum end on B&O 81922:

GATC 1917 tank with safety valve elbow:

David Thompson

Dave Parker

Ralph Brown asked 'Does anyone know whether PBCX is “The Portsmouth By-Products Coke Company”?'

http://www.nakina.net/other/report/reportp.html

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Ralph W. Brown

Well, that answers that question – and many more I haven’t yet asked!  Looks like a great resource.

Thanks, Dave.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Ralph Brown asked 'Does anyone know whether PBCX is “The Portsmouth By-Products Coke Company”?'

http://www.nakina.net/other/report/reportp.html

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Tim O'Connor

And it's easily corrected if you have software that can do a "horizontal flip".

Tim O'Connor

Roger Huber asked:
"I have a question about photos in library collections. Why are they often printed backwards like these two?"

Simple.  They're often scanning negatives or slides, not prints, so if the person scanning gets the orientation wrong...

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts

Roger Huber

Both are reversed.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

The GATC picture is reversed. All the spelling is backwords

On Monday, November 5, 2018, 2:54:29 PM EST, David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

Roger Huber

What software is that as I can't seem to find anything that says reverse, etc.

Roger Huber wrote:
"What software is that as I can't seem to find anything that says reverse, etc."

What OS (i.e., version of Windows) are you running?
Ben Hom

Roger Huber

Windows 7? Not sure about ANYTHING computer wise.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

"What software is that as I can't seem to find anything that says reverse, etc."

What OS (i.e., version of Windows) are you running?
Ben Hom

Jon Miller

On 11/5/2018 3:46 PM, Roger Huber via Groups.Io wrote:
What software is that as I can't seem to find anything that says reverse, etc.

    My software says "flip" horizontal or vertical. [paint.net]

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

al.kresse

It is flip horizontal 180 degrees.

Al Kresse

On November 5, 2018 at 7:12 PM Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

On 11/5/2018 3:46 PM, Roger Huber via Groups.Io wrote:
What software is that as I can't seem to find anything that says reverse, etc.

    My software says "flip" horizontal or vertical. [paint.net]

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Or Mac.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Nov 5, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Roger Huber wrote:
"What software is that as I can't seem to find anything that says reverse, etc."

What OS (i.e., version of Windows) are you running?
Ben Hom

Scott H. Haycock

 In Windows, right-click on the saved image file, then look for "open with". Click "Paint".

Look for the rotate tool at the top. Clicking on the arrow opens a drop down menu. You'll find Flip Horizontal  here.

Scott Haycock
ent

On November 5, 2018 at 5:10 PM "Roger Huber via Groups.Io" <trainpainter@...> wrote:

Windows 7? Not sure about ANYTHING computer wise.

Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

"What software is that as I can't seem to find anything that says reverse, etc."

What OS (i.e., version of Windows) are you running?
Ben Hom

Todd Horton

They have a 50/50 chance but they get it wrong 99% of the time

On Nov 5, 2018, at 2:54 PM, David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Tatum end on B&O 81922:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12240120174/

GATC 1917 tank with safety valve elbow:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12240085816/

David Thompson

James SANDIFER

Without enlarging, it is often difficult to tell which side is “up” on a flat negative (experience!). I assume these to be 2.25 x 3.25 or some such size. The best thing to do if unsure is enlarge after the scan and look for something to prove you did it right. If it is backward, it is simple to reverse the image with Photoshop without rescanning.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Neat photos. Love the signal bridge and semaphore too.