Topics

SAL AF-1/2 & B-7

rwilson1056

would it be possible to just take an AAR '37 10'er, replace the roof and ends to get one of these? is it such that the sides would have to be reduced in height?
looking to get a prototypical model of them and want to do it right.

Tim O'Connor

Aren't they basically PRR X31's with different ends and rivet patterns?
My instinct would be to start with the Bowser and figure out how to replace
the ends, and use Archer rivets for the rest.

Tim O'

would it be possible to just take an AAR '37 10'er, replace the roof and ends to get one of these? is it such that the sides would have to be reduced in height? looking to get a prototypical model of them and want to do it right.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Hom

R Wilson asked:
"Would it be possible to just take an AAR '37 10'er, replace the roof and ends to get one of these? Is it such that the sides would have to be reduced in height?
Looking to get a prototypical model of them and want to do it right."

Tim O'Connor replied:
"Aren't they basically PRR X31's with different ends and rivet patterns?
My instinct would be to start with the Bowser and figure out how to replace the ends, and use Archer rivets for the rest."

Not really.  The SAL cars are more akin to the 1932 ARA boxcar design, with different side rivet patterns (double rows, plus an odd 5-panel to the left of the door/4-panel right of the door pattern for the single door PRR cars) and tabbed side sills.  You'd have to redo the sides and underframe if you start from the Bowser model, which actually would be almost as much work as starting with the old MDC model, which has an incorrect roof profile and a caricature of the Pullman carbuilders' ends.  Still, it's a doable kitbash if you can come up with the ends; just not as straightforward of one as you'd think.

Sadly, the best approach would be to pony up for a Sunshine kit for the automobile cars (assuming that the original poster is working in HO scale).  No real help for the single door cars except for the suggested kitbashes.

Ben Hom

Brian Carlson

Smokey mountain model works did these in HO and S years back.

Not sure if Jim would consider them again in HO. No, I’m not selling mine.

Brian J. Carlson

On Nov 11, 2018, at 6:13 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

R Wilson asked:
[...]

Brent Greer

Jim King (Smoky Mountain Model Works) sold his HO patterns and such for these cars to Wright-Trak some years ago, but they never did anything with them.

Brent
________________________________
Dr. J. Brent Greer

Jim King

Brian is correct.  I still make the B-7 in S but sold the HO version with the entire resin product line to Wright Trak Models about 6.5 years ago.  It was not a whirlwind seller; modelers I thought would buy the kit told me the Bowser car was “90% close enough” … which it’s not.  Oh well, to each his own.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

John Degnan

I have seen the SMMW model on ebay numerous times in the past year or two.  If you can find one, you will be very pleased... they are the ONLY accurate model of a SAL B-7 ever made.

John D

Scaler164@...

On November 11, 2018 at 8:00 PM "Brian Carlson via Groups.Io" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

[...]

George Courtney

One of the few advantages we S scalers have the HO boys.  He.He. Thanks, Jim.  Meant in good humor, folks.

George Courtney

Randy Hammill

I bought two of the B-7s, one for me and one for a friend. Fantastic castings, although I haven't finished it yet.

I don't recall you releasing the AF-1/2, I would love one of those if anybody has one of those!

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954  | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com

Craig Zeni

3a. Re: SAL AF-1/2 & B-7
From: Randy Hammill <nhrr@...>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 11:55:46 EST

I bought two of the B-7s, one for me and one for a friend. Fantastic castings, although I haven't finished it yet.

I don't recall you releasing the AF-1/2, I would love one of those if anybody has one of those!
I built the B7; have another one stashed away I think. They were a nice build although I wasn't crazy about the way the doors were handled. I'll figure out a better way on the next one. I also used Ted's SAL decals; next build I'll also use Pierre's etched ladders.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Jim King

Thanks, Randy.  I only made the B-7, then sold the HO product line to Wright Trak Models the following year.