Need B&O M-15k Youngstown door help

Jim King

I'm finalizing patterns (S scale) to create an M-15k from my M-53 patterns.  The "k" was offered as a mini-kit at a 2016 RPM meet and I've collected 2 articles written about that kit but, since I'm working in S scale, more info re: the underframe and Youngstown door is needed.  I have enough info to design the fishbelly underframe but am coming up empty on pix of cars with the Youngstown door.

Does anyone have photos of an M-15k post-mid-40s with the Youngstown door?  The M-53s had the original panel door replaced soon after WWII and, based on an email I rec'd today, the M-15k's were upgraded 1948-49 with Camel hardware which implies the Youngstown door was also used but is not stated as such in the notes.

David

Does anyone have photos of an M-15k post-mid-40s with the Youngstown door?
RPC #9 implies (but doesn't quite state outright) that the Youngstown doors were part of the mid-'50s program to rebuild the M-15k's with new underframes.

David Thompson

rwitt_2000

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Jim King wrote:
Does anyone have photos of an M-15k post-mid-40s with the Youngstown door? 
I don't recall seeing any photos of M-15K with Youngstown doors. Attached is a photo that looks like a group of M-15 wagon-tops being staged in Vincennes, Ind. prior to entering the rebuilding program at the Washington, Ind. car shops ~1955-1956. They all still have their Tatum flat steel doors.  The date you give 1948-49 I believe coincides with the memo issued to upgrade the doors on the M-53. It may have included the M-15 wagon-tops, but according to Jim Miscjke, who has a copy of the memo, the program did not move forward and doors were only replaced as needed.

I may add that the Pullman Library has general arrangement drawings from Standard Steel Car, of the original M-15 that would give you all the information needed to model the original fishbelly underframes.  I have found that all the resin kits produced to date have the truck center distance too short.

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

Here's the attachment.

rwitt_2000

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Jim King wrote:
I'm finalizing patterns (S scale) to create an M-15k from my M-53 patterns. 
Jim,

Another consideration, are you planning to offer the two the three piece ends in addition to the one piece one as used on the M-53?

Bob Witt

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Not to depart from the railroad connection, and I am a B&O fan who has a couple such box cars in HO and O, but I’d really prefer to have that Studebaker.

John Hagen

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:21 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Need B&O M-15k Youngstown door help

Here's the attachment.

Jim King

Bob,

I’m simply modifying a 1st generation M-53 body casting to include the notched side sills and C-channel bottom door track.  M-15k’s had different ends based on photos I’ve seen and some comments sent by S scalers.  The 3 double rows of rivets on the M-53 also appeared on M-15ks (my photos show those) but some had just 2 double rows.  What I’m mainly after now is photo proof of a Youngstown door installation but it appears the flat panel doors stayed with the “k’s” until they were rebuilt again and reclassed.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com