Need B&O M-15k Youngstown door help

Jim King

I'm finalizing patterns (S scale) to create an M-15k from my M-53 patterns.  The "k" was offered as a mini-kit at a 2016 RPM meet and I've collected 2 articles written about that kit but, since I'm working in S scale, more info re: the underframe and Youngstown door is needed.  I have enough info to design the fishbelly underframe but am coming up empty on pix of cars with the Youngstown door.

Does anyone have photos of an M-15k post-mid-40s with the Youngstown door?  The M-53s had the original panel door replaced soon after WWII and, based on an email I rec'd today, the M-15k's were upgraded 1948-49 with Camel hardware which implies the Youngstown door was also used but is not stated as such in the notes.

David

Does anyone have photos of an M-15k post-mid-40s with the Youngstown door?
RPC #9 implies (but doesn't quite state outright) that the Youngstown doors were part of the mid-'50s program to rebuild the M-15k's with new underframes.

David Thompson

rwitt_2000

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Jim King wrote:
Does anyone have photos of an M-15k post-mid-40s with the Youngstown door?
I don't recall seeing any photos of M-15K with Youngstown doors. Attached is a photo that looks like a group of M-15 wagon-tops being staged in Vincennes, Ind. prior to entering the rebuilding program at the Washington, Ind. car shops ~1955-1956. They all still have their Tatum flat steel doors.  The date you give 1948-49 I believe coincides with the memo issued to upgrade the doors on the M-53. It may have included the M-15 wagon-tops, but according to Jim Miscjke, who has a copy of the memo, the program did not move forward and doors were only replaced as needed.

I may add that the Pullman Library has general arrangement drawings from Standard Steel Car, of the original M-15 that would give you all the information needed to model the original fishbelly underframes.  I have found that all the resin kits produced to date have the truck center distance too short.

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

Here's the attachment.

rwitt_2000

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Jim King wrote:
I'm finalizing patterns (S scale) to create an M-15k from my M-53 patterns.
Jim,

Another consideration, are you planning to offer the two the three piece ends in addition to the one piece one as used on the M-53?

Bob Witt

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Not to depart from the railroad connection, and I am a B&O fan who has a couple such box cars in HO and O, but I’d really prefer to have that Studebaker.

John Hagen