Topics

Oil companies for IM 8K tank

Clark Propst

I have Sinclair, Mobil, DX, and Standard oil jobbers on my layout. I have an extra Intermountain 8K gal tank car that's excess. Any of those oil companies own anything like the IM car? I do have two Tichy frames if they'd help with a kitbash?
Thanks, Clark Propst

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Clark,

Richard Hendrickson wrote an article published in the UNION PACIFIC MODELER, volume 4 (1998) on the Sinclair fleet. According to his article, most of the fleet was composed of GA Type 1917 cars in both 8K and 10K, the larger recently offered with Sinclair lettering by Tangent. Sinclair did have some 10K ACF Type 21 cars, including a few with insulating jackets, both offered by Life-Like models. Apparently they did not have any ACF Type 27s like the Intermountains.

Kind Regards,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 11/13/18 2:22 PM, Clark Propst wrote:
I have Sinclair, Mobil, DX, and Standard oil jobbers on my layout. I have an extra Intermountain 8K gal tank car that's excess. Any of those oil companies own anything like the IM car? I do have two Tichy frames if they'd help with a kitbash?
Thanks, Clark Propst

O Fenton Wells

HO Tank Car Question: I don't know much about tank cars, so I was wondering if there is a resource that explains (in simple terms) the different frames, bodies and cars for a non-knowledgeable modeler like me.  I would love to know which frames work with which bodies, in a modeling sense.  I understand the info is out there but it has never been important enough to me to do the digging.  So is there a resource for guys like me e.g "Tank cars for Dummies"  ??
Thanking anyone in advance for their help.
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Fenton,

I haven’t dug out my copy to check, but I suspect John White’s The American Railroad Freight Car might be a good place to start looking.  Other strong possibilities that come to mind are the Car Builders’ Dictionaries and the Car Builders’ Cyclopedias as appropriate for your era(s) of interest.  The Newton K. Gregg Train Shed Cyclopedias contained reprints from those and other publications.  Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 12, for example, pertained to “Tank Cars 1922-1943.”

Hope that helps.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

[...]

Thanks Ralph, I'll check that out
Fenton

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 4:21 PM Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...> wrote:
[...]

David

Ted Culotta put together a nice field guide to steam-era tank cars here:
http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/steam-era-freight-cars-reference-manual-volume-two/

As for the IM 8k ACT Type 27, most of those went to SHPX, with some to GATX (mostly ex-Canton Tank Car) and a scattering to a few other owners. Having said that, the tank itself can be mounted on frames from Tichy (1923 SSC-built Gulf Oil), Tangent (early-mid 1920s General American Tank Car), or SC&F (1920s Standard Tank Car).

David Thompson

Robert Heninger

Clark,

I think UTLX had some type 27 cars, probably secondhand, but I'll have to dig in my UTLX book to make sure. I know they had type 21s. Type 27s were also covered in an early RP Cyc, IIRC, which would help with other possible roadnames. I'd link to the website, which had an index as I recall, but it seems to have been taken down.

Fenton,

This is the best general reference on steam era tank cars:

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/steam-era-freight-cars-reference-manual-volume-two/

This is a great book for UTLX tank cars:

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/utlx-steam-era-tank-cars/

This book has some great detail shots of steam era tank cars, well worth the purchase, once Ted gets them back in stock:

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/focus-on-freight-cars-volume-ten-other-freight-car-types/

And, for ACF built cars, this is indispensable:

http://signaturepress.com/kaminski/tank.html

I recommend all four references without reservation. They are all well worth the money. If I was only going to buy one, I'd buy Ted's Steam Era manual, only because it covers all manufacturers and lessors/owners.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Fenton,

As luck would have it, I was actually able to lay my hands on my copy of Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 12.  Amazing, huh?  In addition to many photographs, it is loaded with a significant array of drawings, including plans, side and end elevations and sections.  I checked Amazon, but found only one and that was for the insane price of $75.00!  On eBay, however, I searched for “Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 12” and found two for about $10.00 plus four or five dollars for shipping.

So, if 1922 to 1943 covers your era(s) . . .

[...]

Bruce Smith

Fenton,

The short answer is no, not really. But since I have a few minutes, let me try the basics, which I have accumulated through “sitting at the knee” of our tank car experts, via this list, presentations and publications. There “big 3” in tank cars are AC&F, UTL and GAT. There are others, and to describe the nuances of those is beyond the scope of this missive.

Radial course tanks
Single rows of rivets between plates (pre 1917-ish) - for example the AC&F type 11 (1911 design), as modeled in HO by Sunset and F&C (who awkwardly called it a type 2, which it technically is, as an ARA type 2, but that isn’t very helpful!)
Double rows of rivets between plates (post 1917-ish)
Longitudinal course tanks arrive around 1920-21

Running boards
High running boards (pre 1911-ish) - e.g. AC&F type 8 (1908 design) and early type 11
Medium running boards - a spotting feature of Union tank car lines (UTL) type V (VanDyke) and type X cars
Low running boards - just about everybody else

Side sills
no side sills - spotting feature for General American Tank (GAT) - typically also had a diagonal on the end between the outside edge of the platform/running board and the bottom of the draft gear
C-channel sills, facing out - spotting feature for AC&F type 21 and 27 (1921 and 1927 designs), although not 100% unique.  Note that the IM AC&F type 27 is incorrect in this detail.
C-channel sills facing inward - spotting feature of the UTL X-3 series, as well as some earlier AC&F types

Domes/safeties
These are all over the place, but some basic generalities
prior to around 1920-21, safeties on elbows off the side of the dome
post 1920-21, safeties on the top of the dome
Similar dates for screw man-way versus safety man-way
The position of the safeties can be a give-away for some tank builders.

Note: dates are build dates.
Note: tanks and frames could be built by different companies
Note: classical “pattern” cars, such as a UTL X-3 could be built under contract by another company (e.g. AC&F)

Three books that are indispensable are:
Culotta - Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual, Volume 2

Kaminski - Tank Cars from American Car & Foundry, 1865-1955

Hile - UTLX Steam Era Tank Cars

If you can only afford one book, then get Ted’s reference manual as it covers almost all makes/models.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Nov 13, 2018, at 2:59 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve and Barb Hile

Most Standard Oil seems to have gone in UTLX tank cars.  As has been said, UTLX certainly had some ACF Type 21 (P2K) 8000 gallon cars.  The only examples of ACF Type 27 (the IMRC) cars going to UTLX second hand were ten 10,000 gallon cars that came from Hartol Oil numbers 401-410 that became UTLX 70002-70011.  Sorry, not photos.  I have not seen any photos of 8000 gallon Type 27 cars in UTLX paint, either.

Steve Hile

I have Sinclair, Mobil, DX, and Standard oil jobbers on my layout. I have an extra Intermountain 8K gal tank car that's excess. Any of those oil companies own anything like the IM car? I do have two Tichy frames if they'd help with a kitbash?
Thanks, Clark Propst

Tim O'Connor

Paint it generically - SHPX 20003, for example. And check out the trucks!

Tim O'Connor

I have Sinclair, Mobil, DX, and Standard oil jobbers on my layout. I have an extra Intermountain 8K gal tank car that's excess. Any of those oil companies own anything like the IM car? I do have two Tichy frames if they'd help with a kitbash?
Thanks, Clark Pr
opst

Sterling, Massachusetts

Robert Heninger

Thank you Steve. I guess UTLX doesn't work for Clark's tank car.

Clark, another possibility is a North American tank car, built by Pressed Steel car. Article by Richard Hendrickson in Ted's PRM, Volume 1:

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/prototype-railroad-modeling-volume-one/

This kitbash used the Tichy underframe and IM 8k Type 27 tank.

Or, you could just sell the kit to one of the hoarders on the list!

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Schleigh Mike

I concur with Garth----

I know of no Type 27 8K gallon cars in the Sinclair fleet.

Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 3:13:52 PM EST, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

[...]

CJ Riley

  Amused by the crooked "decals"

Douglas Harding

Clark attached is a spreadsheet showing the tank cars that were dropped in two small MSTL towns in Iowa in 1949.  The data comes from the Station Records books, which I gave you copies of some time ago.  While not the towns on the section of the MSTL you are modeling, this should give you an idea of the type of cars coming on the railroad, and where they were coming from. Tim Gilbert did a lot of the extra research identifying the cars after I compiled the basic listings.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

I have Sinclair, Mobil, DX, and Standard oil jobbers on my layout. I have an extra Intermountain 8K gal tank car that's excess. Any of those oil companies own anything like the IM car? I do have two Tichy frames if they'd help with a kitbash?
Thanks, Clark Propst

Schleigh Mike

Hello Clark & Group!

Doug Harding has posted a nice list of tank car activity there in Iowa 69 years back.  Commenting on the five Sinclair loads, I can offer that SDRX 14831 and 14868 are Pennsylvania Tank Car Co. cars for which there has been no commercial model I know.  SDRX 10810 and PARX are General American cars that the Sunshine and Tangent models represent well in HO.  The fifth car, SHPX 21348, is a Shippers Car Line car used to bring a Sinclair product to the customer.  I have no idea on the details of this car.

Regards from Grove City, Penna.  Mike Schleigh

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:24:33 AM EST, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Clark attached is a spreadsheet showing the tank cars that were dropped in two small MSTL towns in Iowa in 1949.  The data comes from the Station Records books, which I gave you copies of some time ago.  While not the towns on the section of the MSTL you are modeling, this should give you an idea of the type of cars coming on the railroad, and where they were coming from. Tim Gilbert did a lot of the extra research identifying the cars after I compiled the basic listings.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

I have Sinclair, Mobil, DX, and Standard oil jobbers on my layout. I have an extra Intermountain 8K gal tank car that's excess. Any of those oil companies own anything like the IM car? I do have two Tichy frames if they'd help with a kitbash?
Thanks, Clark Propst

Douglas Harding

I should point out that there are spreadsheets in the group files, covering portions of these Station Record books. The books list each car that arrived and left the station, the contents of the car, who received the load, where the car came from and where it was headed. The books cover two small towns from the early 40s to the early 60s. While I have not transcribed every page, I have done several years and put them into an Excel spreadsheet. In the group files look for M&StL Station Books,

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org