Topics

Tank cars for Standard Oil (Chevron) in Washington State - ca. 1953

Brian Termunde

With the interesting posts on the IM 8,000 Gal Tank car, I thought that I would try my luck with Standard (Chevron) oil tank cars.

I was aware of a Texaco station in Raymond, Wash. (still standing, but no longer a service station), but recently, I became aware that nearby, there was Standard (Chevron) station as well. While I haven't had much of a chance to really dig into what tank cars Standard (Chevron) used, what little time I have had to search, I have found a few interesting sites, and a lot of toy train foobies, but nothing really useful.

Mostly, while I am aware that this group is mostly HO-centric, I do model in N Scale, and unfortunately, we have even less tank cars available to us then you HOer's have. But does anyone have any recommendations, even at least as for reporting marks? GATX, UTLX, ???

TIA!

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, UT

Richard Townsend

As one of the off-shoots of the Standard Oil break-up, Chevron (formerly Standard Oil of California) would use a lot of UTLX tank cars.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

John Barry

Brian,

Unless there's a RTR UTLX X-3 in N, you are in nearly the same boat as the HO crowd for Standard Oil.  After the break up of Standard in the early 1900's, the "baby" Standards used the spun off Union Tank Line cars to deliver their product.  I can commend Steve Hiles UTLX Tank Cars, published by Speedwitch as the reference on the prototype.  I have no choice but to model at least the interchange to the Richmond Standard refinery as it adjoined Santa Fe's Richmond yard which is the centerpiece of my layout.  I'm making do with an assemblage of available UTLX tanks from IM, Walthers and Tangent even though they were a fraction of the fleet composed largely of X and X-3 cars.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

[...]

Chuck Soule

Brian - While Raymond was a prosperous community when logging was in its prime, it wasn't terribly large, so I don't know how many gas stations you would find even though it was on US 101.  However, based on growing up in Tacoma in the 50s and 60s, the brands I remember off the top of my head that would be appropriate for Western WA include:
Chevron
Shell
Texaco
Union 76
Mobil
Richfield (became Arco ca 1966)
Flying A (Associated Oil, bought by Humble about 1960 which changed the brand to Enco, later became Exxon).  So Flying A stopped in 1960.
There was a large regional distributor called Time Oil Co

Western WA did NOT have Conoco, Phillips, Sinclair, Esso, or Humble under its own name.

That doesn't give you a direct answer to your question, but can provide a window on some reasonable alternative tank cars that might not be foobies.

Chuck Soule

Chuck Soule

Again, this post is not quite about selection of tank car models, but more about what brands are relevant on trains for Raymond, WA circa 1953.  I poked around a little bit, and there was definitely a Standard Oil bulk facility in South Bend and a Union Oil Co. siding in Raymond.  The highway distance from Aberdeen and Hoquiam is short enough that other brands such as Texaco could have been trucked to the Raymond/South Bend area by 1953.

So Standard Oil (Chevron) tank cars would definitely be routed there, along with tank cars for Union 76.

Chuck Soule