PRR X29, B&O M-26 & 1923 ARA Building Plan Notes

Bill Welch

For more than a year I have slowly been working on several Red Caboose X29 and A.R.A. models after doing research and assembling as many photos as possible to inform my research and modeling. Attached is a PDF of my notes I am using to guide the detailing of these models for my modeling date of October 1955. I thought they may help other modelers. There is potentially one controversial claim I make in that from my examination of the photos I have I am modeling my LNE and CNJ cars with the older 5-foot Bolster-to-Striker dimension even though the A.R.A. specs for these cars called for a 5'6" distance. This group of cars have many interesting detail variations that make them interesting to me and I have tried to note these. If I am wrong, please send me an email at the address in the document.

As I have time and make building progress I will post photos of the models under construction.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Bill

SOME CNJ cars had 5-0 bolster to striker distance, and some had 5-6. This is
pretty obvious in broadside photos. Whether the photos represent second hand
acquistions or other explanations, I haven't researched that question.

Same with LNE. Also, some LNE cars have dreadnaught ends, and other have the
flat plate ends. I haven't correlated the ends and the bolster-striker distances.

Tim

[...]

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts