Great Northern 1937 Boxcar - Trucks?

Paul Bizier

Am working on my backlog of kits - just finishing a Seaboard V-10 vent box, which assuming I can get it painted, will be coming to Cocoa.  Next up is an old Sunshine kit for the GN's 1937 tongue and groove wood boxcars... Simple question - can someone point me to the right HO scale trucks for this car?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Bizier

Benjamin Hom

Paul Bizier asked:
"Am working on my backlog of kits - just finishing a Seaboard V-10 vent box, which assuming I can get it painted, will be coming to Cocoa.  Next up is an old Sunshine kit for the GN's 1937 tongue and groove wood boxcars... Simple question - can someone point me to the right HO scale trucks for this car?"

Ted Culotta used Accurail "Bettendorf:" trucks on the models featured in his Essential Freight Cars installment on the GN cars in the May 2003 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Robert Heninger

The Accurail truck isn't a bad choice, as it represents the ARA cast steel trucks these cars were equipped with. However, I believe the Tahoe "Buckeye" ARA trucks have better detail, including brake beams, and are nearly identical to the trucks the GN used on the prototype cars.

Regards,
Robert D. Heninger
Minot, ND

Paul Bizier

Thanks to Ben and Robert for the help.  I think I've got a pair of the Tahoe trucks in parts box, if not I know where to get them.

Paul Bizier
Modeling the SAL in 1950

Ted Culotta

I wouldn’t use those today... much has changed in the world of trucks since then. Sigh... we have even seen the much needed Barber S-1 produced by Rapido come and go (without this person buying nearly enough.) Brian, you retired one truck too soon!

Bob cited the far better Tahoe option.

Bill Welch

Personally I think the wheel base of the Accurail truck is too long for most boxcars, same for their Andrews truck.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Richard Hendrickson said that the Accurail truck is a 70 ton truck - probably
because of the wheel base. So for 70 ton cars that need these two trucks... and
for the Andrews, it's the ONLY 70 ton plastic model out there in HO scale.

Tim O'Connor

 Personally I think the wheel base of the Accurail truck is too long for most boxcars,
 same for their Andrews truck. Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Parker

The Accurail Andrews has the slightly longer wheelbase of the 70-ton truck, but the side-frame looks nothing like the URSA 70-ton truck.  The Bowser 70-ton Crown truck is closer, although there were subtle (or not-so) differences between the PRR truck and the USRA truck.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

What cars did the Rapido Barber S-1 trucks come on?

Bill Pardie

I wouldn’t use those today... much has changed in the world of trucks since then. Sigh... we have even seen the much needed Barber S-1 produced by Rapido come and go (without this person buying nearly enough.) Brian, you retired one truck too soon!

Bob cited the far better Tahoe option.

Brian Carlson

The meat reefers.

Brian J. Carlson