mystery car???

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

me again. I have found the following photo of a UP train, and the car just behind the engines catched my eyes:

https://www.westernrailimages.com/Union-Pacific-Railroad/Union-Pacific-Railroad-1950s/i-tg6VKbm/A

What the h... is THIS??? No, not an aux tender, or at least none I have ever seen...

Many thanks

Johannes

Looks like a turbine fuel car. UP converted one Big Boy to oil as a test. This may be that loco.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Nov 23, 2018, at 4:41 PM, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

Hello friends,

me again. I have found the following photo of a UP train, and the car just behind the engines catched my eyes:

https://www.westernrailimages.com/Union-Pacific-Railroad/Union-Pacific-Railroad-1950s/i-tg6VKbm/A

What the h... is THIS??? No, not an aux tender, or at least none I have ever seen...

Many thanks

Johannes

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Johannes,

It might be a cylindrical hopper, although 1950’s might a bit early for such cars.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

me again. I have found the following photo of a UP train, and the car just behind the engines catched my eyes:

https://www.westernrailimages.com/Union-Pacific-Railroad/Union-Pacific-Railroad-1950s/i-tg6VKbm/A

What the h... is THIS??? No, not an aux tender, or at least none I have ever seen...

Many thanks

Johannes

rwitt_2000

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 06:50 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
Looks like a turbine fuel car. UP converted one Big Boy to oil as a test. This may be that loco.
I agree, but don't claim to be a UP expert. Unfortunately it not a freight car.

Attached is an example of a similar tender.

Bob Witt

vapeurchapelon

Brian, Ralph, James, Bob,

I apologize for the delay again, but thank you for your thoughts of course. Yes I am now convinced that this is a former "ordinary" tender. The cat walk at 3/4 heigth confused me, this makes the tender look much larger than it actually is.
Nonetheless it's interesting: -it is painted silver, not yelllow, so not intended for use on a turbine. And the engine is #4014, which never was converted to oil firing (this was #4019), but Big Boys never ran with any auxiliary tenders AFAIK.

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Samstag, 24. November 2018 um 03:18 Uhr
Von: "rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io" <rwitt_2000@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] mystery car???
On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 06:50 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
Looks like a turbine fuel car. UP converted one Big Boy to oil as a test. This may be that loco.
I agree, but don't claim to be a UP expert. Unfortunately it not a freight car.

Attached is an example of a similar tender.

Bob Witt

mofwcaboose <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

Silver suggests that the car is intended for nonrevenue service.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL