Topics

Reefers for frozen fish. (GN express Reefer)

Bob Chaparro

I found this photo from an unknown source, showing a GN express reefer apparently being used to ship fish.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

I found this photo from an unknown source, showing a GN express reefer apparently being used to ship fish.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Attachments: R eefer_Fish_Unknown.jpg

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Smith

Tim,

No BUILT date stencil on that car! Weird.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Nov 28, 2018, at 3:50 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Bob

the quest for your photo led me to this one... :-)

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=p15330coll22&CISOPTR=55050&action=2&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=3598&DMHEIGHT=2071

I found this photo from an unknown source, showing a GN express reefer apparently being used to ship fish.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Attachments: R eefer_Fish_Unknown.jpg

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

It is odd. WFEX series 67895-67944 were built in 1936. They were rebuilt in the
later 1950's with electric fans.

Tim

Tim,
No BUILT date stencil on that car! Weird.
Regards
Bruce F. Smith

On Nov 28, 2018, at 3:50 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@... > wrote:

Bob

the quest for your photo led me to this one... :-)

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=p15330coll22&CISOPTR=55050&action=2&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=3598&DMHEIGHT=2071

Sterling, Massachusetts

7-51 isn’t it?

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Nov 28, 2018, at 3:55 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Tim,

No BUILT date stencil on that car! Weird.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Nov 28, 2018, at 3:50 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Bob

the quest for your photo led me to this one... :-)

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=p15330coll22&CISOPTR=55050&action=2&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=3598&DMHEIGHT=2071

I found this photo from an unknown source, showing a GN express reefer apparently being used to ship fish.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Attachments: R eefer_Fish_Unknown.jpg

Sterling, Massachusetts

rwitt_2000

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 05:33 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
It is odd. WFEX series 67895-67944 were built in 1936. They were rebuilt in the
later 1950's with electric fans.
After blowing up the images I found the built date and the builder stenciled on the air reservoir [see attached].

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

Bob

That's the brake service date - "LT" probably means "lube & test" in
that context. The general shop date stencil is for 1951 as well, but this
is clearly a car built in the 1930's.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 05:33 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
It is odd. WFEX series 67895-67944 were built in 1936. They were rebuilt in the
later 1950's with electric fans.

After blowing up the images I found the built date and the builder stenciled on the air reservoir [see attached].

Bob Witt

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 05:39 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:
After blowing up the images I found the built date and the builder stenciled on the air reservoir [see attached].
Not quite. The date stenciled on the air brake reservoir is the date of last periodic air brake servicing (which would become Clean, Oil, Test, & Stencil at some point in the future). PLT is Plattsmouth, Nebraska, where the BREX fleet was maintained; likely other cars in the FGEX family also. The simply is no built date stenciled on this side of the car for whatever reason.

Dennis Storzek

Walter

Looks like PLT - - BREX
PLT could be the BRE’s Plattsmouth, NE shops.

Lenny Ohrnell

Bruce Smith

Brian,

That's the reweigh date, and of corse the brakes and brake reservoir was checked and the bearings repacked at the same time.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn,​ AL

No BUILT date stencil on that car! Weird.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Nov 28, 2018, at 3:50 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Bob

the quest for your photo led me to this one... :-)

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=p15330coll22&CISOPTR=55050&action=2&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=3598&DMHEIGHT=2071

I found this photo from an unknown source, showing a GN express reefer apparently being used to ship fish.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Attachments: R eefer_Fish_Unknown.jpg

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

Everything points to the car being repainted and serviced in July 1951.  (There is another date in the upper left hand corner of the side, where painting dates are often stenciled.)  Someone forgot the built date stencil and the car was still pretty fresh when Otto Perry photographed it in Denver the same month.

Steve Hile