Topics

Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia Reprints

Matt Smith

I bought one of the reprints of #20 recently . With the price of what people are paying on ebay for #21-24 there is definitely a market. Anyone on here have any pull to get that done?

$143 for #23
$128 for #24

Crazy!
--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Tim O'Connor

Any PDF document can be printed by commercial services that are online. You can
get hardcover, or perfect bound, books done. It's very reasonably priced!

The solution, I think, is for Ed and Pat to set up something like Ian Cranstone has
done with the tank car Tariff books. That way the prices will settle down to match
the "replacement cost" of the custom prints. Ed & Pat will continue to get a share
of the new prints, and the books will never be "out of print".

My tariff book is huge (758 pages), and it is hardcover - at $48 well worth it.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ian-cranstone/tank-car-capacities-1970/hardcover/product-23299194.html

Tim O'Connor

=============================

 I bought one of the reprints of #20 recently . With the price of what people are paying
 on ebay for #21-24 there is definitely a market. Anyone on here have any pull to get that done?
 $143 for #23
 $128 for #24
 Crazy!
 Matt Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

np328

Only my opinion here,
      however if anything regarding reprints or scans get done, Ed Hawkins and Pat Wilder would be the ones to occupy the drivers seat of such as THEY were the researchers/editors/drivers of the original. It's up to them.

      And I state this as a person who has had to scramble at times to get some copies of the earlier editions I had at the time, dismissed. The two gentleman named prior always put out advance notice of the contents of these publications and I learnt first hand rather quickly that if I was the least bit intrigued, to act quickly.                                                                                                                        Jim Dick - St. Paul

Bill Welch

I suggest purchasing the publication rights from Ed and Pat so the purchaser can enjoy depositing checks, packaging, going to post office, collecting on bills, and all of the other things Pat and Ed consciously retried from when they ended their business.

Bill Welch