Topics

Clinchfield SS USRA boxcar

Robert kirkham

Interesting photo.  I’m wondering about the “board” immediately above the side sill.  It appears a different tone.  Is it just a different width filler board, a floor board, or does it serve another function?  I don’t recall noticing anything like this at the bottom of side sheathing on a USRA car in the past.

Rob

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2018 8:10 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Transformer Load

Hi Jim and List Members,

The site Jim referenced https://catalog.archives.gov/ has some cool railroad photos. See below for a Clinchfeld USRA single sheathed boxcar.

Claus Schlund

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Doesn’t have the weight stenciled in yet.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 10:49 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Clinchfield SS USRA boxcar

Interesting photo.  I’m wondering about the “board” immediately above the side sill.  It appears a different tone.  Is it just a different width filler board, a floor board, or does it serve another function?  I don’t recall noticing anything like this at the bottom of side sheathing on a USRA car in the past.

Rob

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2018 8:10 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Transformer Load

Hi Jim and List Members,

The site Jim referenced https://catalog.archives.gov/ has some cool railroad photos. See below for a Clinchfeld USRA single sheathed boxcar.

Claus Schlund

David

That is a fascia strip for the floor boards.

David Thompson

Bill Welch

These are one of the few original deliveries of the 50-ton USRA cars to serve into the 1950's in their original form with only AB Brake change. Westerfield has a great kit w/correct decals for later service. Several photos exist with many from Col McCoid photos in Bob's Photo collection.

Curiously both the Clinchfield USRA 2-bay hoppers and boxcars had CC&O reporting marks through their service lives while rest of the fleet carried CRR reporting marks.

Bill Welch

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bill,

My 1958 ORER lists 79 as still in service from the original 300. Some of these were probably restricted to trap or LCL service by then, though there are no restrictions noted in the listings. There is a 1960 photo of 8058 at Johnson City, Tennessee, in Henry Maywald's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, Vol. 7. The car carries a large white ring on the upper part of the door. Inside the ring and on the panel below are some sort of service restriction lettering, but it is unreadable in the photo.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 12/9/18 12:22 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
These are one of the few original deliveries of the 50-ton USRA cars to serve into the 1950's in their original form with only AB Brake change. Westerfield has a great kit w/correct decals for later service. Several photos exist with many from Col McCoid photos in Bob's Photo collection.

Curiously both the Clinchfield USRA 2-bay hoppers and boxcars had CC&O reporting marks through their service lives while rest of the fleet carried CRR reporting marks.

Bill Welch

Jack Mullen

Rob Kirkham said:
"Interesting photo  ...  I don’t recall noticing anything like this at the bottom of side sheathing on a USRA car in the past."

Actually, we discussed this feature of the USRA SS boxcars a few years ago. The short answer is that what you see is the upper flange of a pressed angle, which apparently serves to retain the lower edge of the bottom fsheathing board against bulging. The other flange is wider and extends past the inner edge of the side sill, as a bracket to which the floor boards are bolted.

This should link to the original thread; the first few responses are pertinent to the present question. 
https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/topic/17261469#133976
Jack Mullen

George Courtney

Off the top of my head it says Online service only.  Return empty to Johnson City.  Until about ten years ago there was a General Mills flour mill in Johnson City, TN on the Clinchfield and I believe I read somewhere these cars carried flour to on-line customers near the end of their service.

George Courtney