USRA Hoppers

Lloyd Keyser

I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

Benjamin Hom

Lloyd Keyser asked:
"I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All I have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one have a photo of one I could refer to for 1954?"

1954?  Yeah, about that...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially after you went through the trouble of building these kits, but these cars had their original center hoppers replaced with a third "sawtooth" hopper as they cycled through the shops.  By 1954, there would likely be few of these cars with the original center hopper.

Here's one as built; Westerfield does offer the decals separately if you want to go this route:

On the plus side, I know there's a very vocal group of 1920s and 30s modelers who would love to take these off your hands.

Ben Hom

Lloyd Keyser

I did a poor job of asking for what I need. The USRA cars I built are the rebuilds with three hoppers and are the C&O cars.  I hope that helps for a photo for 1954

Larry Smith

Lloyd

Try the C&O Hopper book by Al Kresse. As to the paint scheme, if the cars went through the paint shop after 1948, they would have had the C&O for Progress herald on them. Now the bad news.  Most if not all C&O USRA hoppers, both two and three bay were being scrapped by 1954 and the railroad had a major shortage of hopper cars.

Larry Smith

Tim O'Connor

Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)

Tim O'Connor

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

robertb@smartchat.net.au

Tim,

There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.

Robert Bogie

On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@gmail.com wrote:
I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

Curt Fortenberry

I'll have to dig it out, but there is a shot of one with the dreadnaught end in one of the NKP color books (in a background).  Very weathered so I would assume roman lettering.

Curt Fortenberry

Curt Fortenberry

Found it.  The only place I've found a shot was by accident, and it's in NKP Color V1 by Morning sun books, page 11.  The hopper across the middle of the page is a C&O triple with the dreadnaught ends.

Curt Fortenberry

Larry Smith

Ok guys, here's your information on these cars. The C&O had three groups of these cars. Series 71000-71399, Series 73000-76999, and Series 77000-78982. Photos of the cars in all three configurations, clamshell, standard tripple and panel side are in "Chesapeake and Ohio freight cars 1937-1946, by Carl Shaver, starting on Page 68. There is also a photo of the Hocking Valley cars with the clamshell center doors.  An interesting note on these cars was that 75 of them were rebuilt in 1938 into covered hoppersand were renumbered into the 500-574 series.  All of the hoppers were gone by 1954.

Larry Smith

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

Robert

It figures!! That's one of the 3 or 4 Mainline Modelers I do not have! :-D

Tim

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@smartchat.net.au wrote:
[...]

I have the July 1983 MM and that is the lettering that is shown in the assembly instructions. I'm looking for a latter lettering scheme.

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@... wrote:
> Tim,
>
> There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the
> July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.
>
> Robert Bogie
>
> On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a
>> photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of
>> those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)
>>
>> Tim O'Connor
>>

>> On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@... wrote:
>>> I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay
>>> hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got
>>> them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the
>>> hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All
>>> I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one
>>> have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

Lloyd, think of it this way - who's going to know if you get it wrong?

:-)

On 12/14/2018 2:02 PM, Lloyd Keyser wrote:
I have the July 1983 MM and that is the lettering that is shown in the assembly instructions. I'm looking for a latter lettering scheme.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Robert

It figures!! That's one of the 3 or 4 Mainline Modelers I do not have! :-D

Tim

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@... wrote:
> Tim,
>
> There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the
> July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.
>
> Robert Bogie
>
> On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a
>> photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of
>> those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)
>>
>> Tim O'Connor
>>

>> On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@... wrote:
>>> I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay
>>> hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got
>>> them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the
>>> hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All
>>> I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one
>>> have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

Sterling, Massachusetts

Larry Smith

Lloyd

Here's the picture from the C&O book. This is the last paint scheme used on these cars.

Larry

I have the July 1983 MM and that is the lettering that is shown in the assembly instructions. I'm looking for a latter lettering scheme.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Robert

It figures!! That's one of the 3 or 4 Mainline Modelers I do not have! :-D

Tim

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@... wrote:
> Tim,
>
> There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the
> July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.
>
> Robert Bogie
>
> On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a
>> photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of
>> those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)
>>
>> Tim O'Connor
>>

>> On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@... wrote:
>>> I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay
>>> hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got
>>> them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the
>>> hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All
>>> I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one
>>> have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Lloyd Keyser

Thanks Larry. Is there a date on that photo. Many cars were rebuilt with panel sides as shown to the left of this car in the 1935,36 time frame.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 1:26 PM Larry Smith <wooddale@...> wrote:
Lloyd

Here's the picture from the C&O book. This is the last paint scheme used on these cars.

Larry

I have the July 1983 MM and that is the lettering that is shown in the assembly instructions. I'm looking for a latter lettering scheme.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Robert

It figures!! That's one of the 3 or 4 Mainline Modelers I do not have! :-D

Tim

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@... wrote:
> Tim,
>
> There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the
> July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.
>
> Robert Bogie
>
> On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a
>> photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of
>> those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)
>>
>> Tim O'Connor
>>

>> On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@... wrote:
>>> I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay
>>> hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got
>>> them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the
>>> hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All
>>> I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one
>>> have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Larry Smith

No there isn't a date on the photo. The credit is Boyd County Library Collection.  That is Boyd County Library, Kentucky. I suspect this photo was taken at Russell, KY where the Raceland Car Shops were located. Russel had four yards there for coal operation alone.

Larry

I have the July 1983 MM and that is the lettering that is shown in the assembly instructions. I'm looking for a latter lettering scheme.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Robert

It figures!! That's one of the 3 or 4 Mainline Modelers I do not have! :-D

Tim

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@... wrote:
> Tim,
>
> There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the
> July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.
>
> Robert Bogie
>
> On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a
>> photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of
>> those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)
>>
>> Tim O'Connor
>>

>> On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@... wrote:
>>> I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay
>>> hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got
>>> them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the
>>> hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All
>>> I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one
>>> have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

Larry,

Those 70-ton cars were lined up near the Armco car dumper.  Armco donated their PR photos to Boyd Co Library in Ashland.  Can't find the photos o date them.t

Al Kresse

On December 14, 2018 at 9:08 PM Larry Smith <wooddale@...> wrote:

No there isn't a date on the photo. The credit is Boyd County Library Collection.  That is Boyd County Library, Kentucky. I suspect this photo was taken at Russell, KY where the Raceland Car Shops were located. Russel had four yards there for coal operation alone.

Larry

I have the July 1983 MM and that is the lettering that is shown in the assembly instructions. I'm looking for a latter lettering scheme.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Tim O'Connor < timboconnor@...> wrote:
Robert

It figures!! That's one of the 3 or 4 Mainline Modelers I do not have! :-D

Tim

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@... wrote:
> Tim,
>
> There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the
> July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.
>
> Robert Bogie
>
> On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a
>> photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of
>> those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)
>>
>> Tim O'Connor
>>

>> On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@... wrote:
>>> I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay
>>> hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got
>>> them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the
>>> hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All
>>> I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one
>>> have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

It was 1944 . . . .bunch of pix taken from up on the hill on the other side of US23.  Al Kresse

On December 14, 2018 at 9:08 PM Larry Smith <wooddale@...> wrote:

No there isn't a date on the photo. The credit is Boyd County Library Collection.  That is Boyd County Library, Kentucky. I suspect this photo was taken at Russell, KY where the Raceland Car Shops were located. Russel had four yards there for coal operation alone.

Larry

I have the July 1983 MM and that is the lettering that is shown in the assembly instructions. I'm looking for a latter lettering scheme.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Tim O'Connor < timboconnor@...> wrote:
Robert

It figures!! That's one of the 3 or 4 Mainline Modelers I do not have! :-D

Tim

On 12/14/2018 4:18 AM, robertb@... wrote:
> Tim,
>
> There are two photos of the as built C&O hoppers on page 75 of the
> July 1983 issue of Mainline Modeller.
>
> Robert Bogie
>
> On 14/12/2018 4:07 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Lloyd, I have THREE books on C&O freight cars and have never seen a
>> photograph of one of those USRA 70 ton cars in any era! I have one of
>> those kits too - too terrified to try building it. :-)
>>
>> Tim O'Connor
>>

>> On 12/11/2018 2:34 PM, lloydkeyser@... wrote:
>>> I  have finished building three of Westerfields USRA three bay
>>> hoppers #2001. I  have had these kits for 30 years and finally got
>>> them built. They were the old brittle resin kits and were the
>>> hardest kits I have put together. They are ready for decaling. All
>>> I  have to go by is the picture in the instructions. Does any one
>>> have a photo of one I could refere to for 1954?

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

ford.donald77 <ford.donald77@...>

Group
Mainline Modeler July 1983 page 75 has photo of #70498, and #71298 (as built)
Mainline Modeler July 2004 page 38-39 photo of 71298 with lettering diagram
Don Ford
Cameron MO

Lloyd Keyser

Thank you Don. I  have that issue and the pictures are good.
Did these cars in later years receive the CO for progress herald?