Topics

Southern 311025 DD Boxcar

steve_wintner

Folks, turned up a post on Facebook, supposedly a Jack Delano photo. March 1943 Argentine KS yard (attached).

Appears to be Southern 311025, in the 311000 to 311499 series, double door class XM (in my 1950 ORER anyways). If I judge by the lower sill and ends, it's some sort of rebuild, steel sheathing outside a formerly single sheathed frame.

Can anyone tell me more? It's got an odd rivet strip, horizontally, about 4' up. Also, I think those are reverse dreadnought ends, kinda funky.

Thanks
Stephan

al_brown03

This is the Southern's version of the mid-1920s AAR double-sheathed design; they had 2,250 of them. Photos appear (inter alia) in Culotta, "Focus on Freight Cars 2", pp 60-61. Sunshine made a kit: neat car!

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

al_brown03

Woops, ARA not AAR.

Bill Welch

Nothing odd about that "Rivet Strip." Double sheathed cars often had metal Batten strips along the sides in different location to help keep the sheathing tight against the frame. Sunshine did four versions of this kit, with and without the Batten strip and with both wood and steel doors. Sunshine also offered an interior kit showing the interior sheathing going up about 2/3 and where it ended the steel framing is then visible against the exterior sheathing.

Bill Welch

Chuck Cover

Here are some photos of Sunshine #37.15 Southern DS boxcar sitting at Northumberland on my Shamokin Branch layout.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

steve_wintner

Good stuff, thanks all. The higher resolution version at
https://www.loc.gov/resource/fsa.8d26505/
Clearly shows the exterior sheathing. And that's a nicely done model Chuck, like the weathering.

Steve