What Is It?

Bob Chaparro

Can anyone identify the structure to the right of the string of freight cars in this photo?

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/ICRR-8x10-sheet-film-negatives/i-xQrM6Gb/A

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Barry Bennett

I would say that was a riverboat.

Barry Bennett, UK

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 5:48 PM Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Can anyone identify the structure to the right of the string of freight cars in this photo?

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/ICRR-8x10-sheet-film-negatives/i-xQrM6Gb/A

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Peck

I would say with 99.9% certainty that is a steamboat on the Mississippi River.
The other 0.1% is that it has been pulled ashore and is no longer actually on the river.
Chuck Peck

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Can anyone identify the structure to the right of the string of freight cars in this photo?

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/ICRR-8x10-sheet-film-negatives/i-xQrM6Gb/A

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bob,

Looks like there is a water hose coiled at the right end of the platform and attached to the vertical pipe and valve, so I’d guess it’s a station for watering and/or cooling stock in stock cars.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Can anyone identify the structure to the right of the string of freight cars in this photo?

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/ICRR-8x10-sheet-film-negatives/i-xQrM6Gb/A

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

The raised building, and twin smoke stacks separated by lightweight support, looks like a paddle wheel ship

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jan 19, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Can anyone identify the structure to the right of the string of freight cars in this photo?

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/ICRR-8x10-sheet-film-negatives/i-xQrM6Gb/A

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

I’m with Ralph, the platform next to the telegraph pole looks like a hog drencher platform. Hogs were the only animals that required cooling off with a spray of water. Railroads that handled livestock, particularly hogs, had hog drenchers. Most consisted of a vertical pipe on a platform, with horizontal nozzles to spray the water. This one looks different from others I have seen.

And yes that is a steamboat on the far right edge of the photo. After all the photo was taken in Vicksburg MS, which is on the Mississippi River. You can see the river in the distance, behind the other train.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org