What Is It?

Bob Chaparro

Can anyone identify the structure to the right of the string of freight cars in this photo?

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/ICRR-8x10-sheet-film-negatives/i-xQrM6Gb/A

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Barry Bennett

I would say that was a riverboat.

Barry Bennett, UK

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 5:48 PM Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Can anyone identify the structure to the right of the string of freight cars in this photo?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Peck

I would say with 99.9% certainty that is a steamboat on the Mississippi River.
The other 0.1% is that it has been pulled ashore and is no longer actually on the river.
Chuck Peck

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bob,

Looks like there is a water hose coiled at the right end of the platform and attached to the vertical pipe and valve, so I’d guess it’s a station for watering and/or cooling stock in stock cars.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] What Is It?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

The raised building, and twin smoke stacks separated by lightweight support, looks like a paddle wheel ship

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jan 19, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

I’m with Ralph, the platform next to the telegraph pole looks like a hog drencher platform. Hogs were the only animals that required cooling off with a spray of water. Railroads that handled livestock, particularly hogs, had hog drenchers. Most consisted of a vertical pipe on a platform, with horizontal nozzles to spray the water. This one looks different from others I have seen.

And yes that is a steamboat on the far right edge of the photo. After all the photo was taken in Vicksburg MS, which is on the Mississippi River. You can see the river in the distance, behind the other train.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralph W. Brown
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] What Is It?

Hi Bob,

Looks like there is a water hose coiled at the right end of the platform and attached to the vertical pipe and valve, so I’d guess it’s a station for watering and/or cooling stock in stock cars.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bob, Brian, et al.,

Well, clearly Brian and I were looking at different “structures.”  I agree that Brian’s structure is a Mississippi river boat. 

Bob – About which structure were you asking, the one to the far right in the image or the one just to the right of the telegraph/telephone pole?

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:46 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

The raised building, and twin smoke stacks separated by lightweight support, looks like a paddle wheel ship

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jan 19, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

I didn’t even see that until just now; my eye was drawn further back. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jan 19, 2019, at 1:18 PM, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

I’m with Ralph, the platform next to the telegraph pole looks like a hog drencher platform. Hogs were the only animals that required cooling off with a spray of water. Railroads that handled livestock, particularly hogs, had hog drenchers. Most consisted of a vertical pipe on a platform, with horizontal nozzles to spray the water. This one looks different from others I have seen.

And yes that is a steamboat on the far right edge of the photo. After all the photo was taken in Vicksburg MS, which is on the Mississippi River. You can see the river in the distance, behind the other train.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralph W. Brown
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:06 PM

Hi Bob,

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

I agree with those who have said it's a hog-drenching platform.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Mark Cartwright

I disagree as to it being a Hog Drenching Platform.....
Circa 1926 both in the California Delta and on the Mississippi...
19th Century Paddle Wheelers were being converted to Dust Pan Dredgers.
See article entitled 100 years of Dust Pan Dredgers.

====
====
Similar craft are also known in California as Gold Dredgers...aka the name Dust Pan Dredgers.
There is indication, such boats began here circa 1880.
Some use scoops...others pump down water and bring up mud which is then deposited into a nearby field.
====
The Army Corp of Engineers were re-purposing such Paddle wheelers in the 1920's.
This is how they created the Port of Stockton.
====
 I am being helped along with my viewpoint...as I came upon a rare book on such dredgers being used here on the San Joaquin Delta at an Estate Sale. They jerked me around on the price till late Sunday.
When do you close tomorrow ?
I showed up 2 hours early and they took my offer.
I mean seriously who else is gonna want to clutter up their life with such a book?
Some of these Dredgers were in use here till the Second World War...and often purchased by the Navy to help construct our Naval Dedicated Islands (Rough and Ready) and to further transport goods to the Moth Ball Fleet as late as the 1970's.
Then....
It only got worse.
Such boats could be seen abandoned along the shore line....
http://www.capradio.org/articles/2016/10/07/a-riverboat-thats-not-afloat-the-old-spirit-of-sacramento/
You'll be driving along...Yes, I have had some practice with What is it ?
:)) Mark

Mark Cartwright

Bob...
Take a look out into the River...
Can you see the two plumes of water spouting up ?
As a guy once said to me in Arkansas....

Yep, see em wings...em are ducks....
See em spouts of water...em are from a Dust Pan Dredger

Tony Thompson

Mark Cartwright wrote:

Um, you're confusing the near-foreground structure with the boat in the background,

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

mikefrommontanan

Apparently a Yazoo and Missippi Valley Car ferry.  IC took the line over the the car ferry continued until 1930, when replaced by a bridge.

Michael Seitz

Missoula MT

Douglas Harding

Ok Mark, why is the platform by the pole not a hog drencher? I see the plumes of water behind the riverboat, and can concede the boat is a dredge of some sort. But I still don’t see what the boat has to do with the platform in the foreground.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Cartwright via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:19 PM

See article entitled 100 years of Dust Pan Dredgers.

====
====
Similar craft are also known in California as Gold Dredgers...aka the name Dust Pan Dredgers.
Some use scoops...others pump down water and bring up mud which is then deposited into a nearby field.
====
The Army Corp of Engineers were re-purposing such Paddle wheelers in the 1920's.
====
 I am being helped along with my viewpoint...as I came upon a rare book on such dredgers being used here on the San Joaquin Delta at an Estate Sale. They jerked me around on the price till late Sunday.
I mean seriously who else is gonna want to clutter up their life with such a book?
Some of these Dredgers were in use here till the Second World War...and often purchased by the Navy to help construct our Naval Dedicated Islands (Rough and Ready) and to further transport goods to the Moth Ball Fleet as late as the 1970's.
Then....
It only got worse.
http://www.capradio.org/articles/2016/10/07/a-riverboat-thats-not-afloat-the-old-spirit-of-sacramento/
You'll be driving along...Yes, I have had some practice with What is it ?

Bill Keene

I doubt that it has anything to do with the platform. When I first looked at the photo the first thing I was were the box cars which immediately led the eyes to the riverboat / dredge. Never saw the platform until someone pointed it out.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jan 19, 2019, at 1:02 PM, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Ok Mark, why is the platform by the pole not a hog drencher? I see the plumes of water behind the riverboat, and can concede the boat is a dredge of some sort. But I still don’t see what the boat has to do with the platform in the foreground.

Doug  Harding

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Cartwright via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] What Is It?

See article entitled 100 years of Dust Pan Dredgers.

<image001.jpg>

====
====
====
====
Then....
It only got worse.
You'll be driving along...Yes, I have had some practice with What is it ?

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

The track might also be used for cleaning out freight cars and the hose and platform for the final cleaning.  Either use would need water.

ted

On Saturday, January 19, 2019, 12:05:46 PM CST, Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

Ralph Brown

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jeffrey White

Are you referring to the steamboat or the dome shaped things?

The steamboat is the IC car ferry Albatross.  There is good phot coverage of it in Richard P Bessete's boof on the IC Rods Down and Dropped Fires pages 527through 533.

Albatross had a capacity of 14 freight cars or 10 passenger cars.  A little trivia, I rode the Albatross many times in my youth after the IC sold it to Streckfus Steamers who converted it into an excursion boat, the Admiral and it operated from the St Louis riverfront for years.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 1/19/2019 11:48 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jeffrey White

Here is a link to a story on the Albatross/Admiral.  It's not a dredger it's the Albatross.   The pilot house is identical to the photos of the Albatross. The sign between the stacks says Vicksburg Route.

https://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journals/illinois/news/ss-admiral-meets-fate-at-monroe-county-dock/article_4b113111-f0b9-590b-9698-6ccffa5eb3fc.html

On 1/19/2019 3:46 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Are you referring to the steamboat or the dome shaped things?

The steamboat is the IC car ferry Albatross.  There is good phot coverage of it in Richard P Bessete's boof on the IC Rods Down and Dropped Fires pages 527through 533.

Albatross had a capacity of 14 freight cars or 10 passenger cars.  A little trivia, I rode the Albatross many times in my youth after the IC sold it to Streckfus Steamers who converted it into an excursion boat, the Admiral and it operated from the St Louis riverfront for years.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 1/19/2019 11:48 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Daniel A. Mitchell

It’s some sidewheeled steamboat, a rather large one.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Jan 19, 2019, at 12:48 PM, Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jack Mullen

"... plumes of water behind the riverboat..."  Just to the right of the tree on the riverbank? I see two side-wheel paddle boxes, with  open space between. That would be part of the steamer whose pilothouse and stacks are to the right. Looks like the configuration of a typical Mississippi river rail ferry. 

As to the platform structure nearer the center of the photo,  I concur with hog drencher.

Jack Mullen