Rust Belt Boxcars Cocoa Beach Handout

Brian Carlson

It was great to see everyone at Cocoa Beach this year. It is currently 15 degrees and snowing in Buffalo. As I mentioned during my clinic, I am sharing my handout here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rscctah7pt73urw/AADoQaw_kr2KdNSftQcKb6yba?dl=0

The shared link should take everyone to a dropbox folder with 2 files, a PDF of my Presentation without the Photos, and a Excel spreadsheet containing the data I have compiled over the past 10-12 years.  I didn’t edit the spreadsheet so there are some tabs that contain information on the rolling stock I own or want, don’t judge me, lol.   The Spreadsheet contains original data from Tim Gilbert and additional railroad data I have added from the 1957 and some 1950 ORER data.

I enjoyed giving the clinic and I received many compliments on it.  Therefore, I volunteered to give it at RPM East in March. Therefore, I have set the dropbox link to expire in a month, and then I will update the presentation for RPM East.  Any questions, you can ask on list or directly at prrk41361_AT_yahoo_DOT_com

If you weren’t at Cocoa the abstract of my clinic can be found here http://prototyperails.com/PDF/Abstracts_rev04_2019.pdf

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Bill Welch

Personally I learned quite a bit from Brain's comprehensive presentation and think any serious Freight Car Modeler should make an effort to see it. There were a few cars whose design is close to available models—these were related to the USRA Steel Car design and I hope someone like Andrew Dahm will consult with Brian about what is needed to expand his offerings of these type. Both F&C and Yarmouth have been paying attention to the northeastern states so maybe we will see some the cars Brian spoke about will become available in resin.

Thank you again Brian for doing this.

Bill Welch

Nelson Moyer

Thanks for making your handout and spreadsheet available to those of us not able to attend CB. The spreadsheet is particularly useful to those of us still tweaking your rosters. I analyzed the CB&Q entries, and I have a few observations and amendments. For a list of the available CB&Q models, check out the CB&Q HO Plastic and Resin Freight Equipment charts on the Burlington Route Historical Society web page. I can't vouch for the completeness or accuracy of the contents, but it's the most comprehensive list I know about.

Now for you table entries. BLT 1404 would be CB&Q XM-32B (17415) and BLT (29000-36999 series) would be XM-32A, based upon the road numbers. IM 45802 is CB&Q (or FW&D and C&S) XM-32. Red Caboose 8602-4 is CB&Q XM-32E. I don't have any knowledge of the two BLT or Red Caboose models, but the IM model has several problems where it deviates from the prototype. You've listed other resin kits on the chart, so I humbly suggest that you use RCW's XM-32 kit for your XM-32 models. Frank has hinted that if sales of the XM-32 were good and interest was high, he might offer XM-32A, XM-32B, and perhaps other variants. The XM-32 are in the second run , so that's a good sign.

You didn't specify which Proto 50' box car you wanted, but there are two that come to mind. The Proto offers both the XM-33 box car and the XA-15A (end door) auto box car. Either or both would be good additions to the roster. With respect to the question marks, you could include CB&Q XM-30 and/or XM-31 single sheathed boxcars. Unfortunately, there were Sunshine kits, so availability could be an issue. The Q loved single sheathed cars, and some ran up to the BN era. Since you didn't specify a cutoff, a couple of the post 1955 boxcars on the BRHS chart might be candidates. I pasted in my annotations and additions to your chart for CB&Q models.

CB&Q XM-32B

BLT

1404

1

1

0

17415 XM-32B

CB&Q XM-32A

BLT XM-32A

2

2

29000-36999 XM-32A

CB&Q XM-32

IM

45802

3

2

1

modified 10 6, 33476 (1 FW&D) XM-32 Problems!

CB&Q XM25/26

Speedwitch

K106.1

1

1

0

XM26/XM26

CB&Q XA-11A

Sunshine

22.8

1

1

0

XA-11A

CB&Q XM-33

proto

1

1

0

50' XM-33 or XA-15A end door

CB&Q XM-32E

Red Caboose

8602-4

1

1

1

C&S 1652, XM-32E

CB&Q

??

2

2

 XM-30 and/or XM-31

CB&Q XM-29

Sunshine

1

1

1

XM-29

Nelson Moyer

Aley, Jeff A

Brian,

               Many thanks for posting your clinic and handout on Dropbox!

               By the way, there are a couple of other clinic handouts posted at www.prototyperails.com .

Regards,

-Jeff

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Brian

really excellent analysis of box car fleets... lots of food for thought in here. :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 1/19/2019 10:24 PM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Eric Hansmann

FYI, Brian Carlson will be presenting his Rust Belt Boxcars clinic at the upcoming RPM-East event in March. Presentation topics will be posted to the website soon!
http://hansmanns.org/rpm_east/index.htm

Eric Hansmann

RPM-East web and publicity guy

On January 20, 2019 at 8:53 AM "Aley, Jeff A" <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank Tim, and thanks for several photos

Brian J. Carlson

On Jan 20, 2019, at 10:57 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Nelson. I model August 1957. I have an unbuilt RCW xM 32.   Many of the entries in the models tab have not been updated recently.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jan 20, 2019, at 10:06 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Gross

Thanks so much for sharing with those who did not get to the beach

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Bruce Smith

​The one that really got my attention was that nearly half the D&H boxcar fleet in 1950 was still 36' cars!

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

[...]

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Re: Rust Belt Boxcars Cocoa Beach Handout
From: Bruce Smith
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 10:26:19 PST

​The one that really got my attention was that nearly half the D&H boxcar fleet in 1950 was still 36' cars!

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

     That's largely do to the management techniques of Lenore Loree who was trained on your
favorite railroad, Bruce, the Pennsy. Cheer up, the New Haven was in nearly the same boat with
36 ft. cars as well until not long before.WW II. But look at what each road primarily hauled, or
originate; manufactured goods on the New Haven and coal on the D&H. I don't believe the O&W
had any 40 ft. box cars before 1950 if after. Even on the BAR in 1947 half of the boxcar fleet was
under 40 ft. in length.

Cordially, Don Valentine

James Babcock

Thanks for Sharing